• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] A good dog disc?

Darkgreen

Birdie Member
Premium Member
I'm looking to get a Vibram disc that might be good for my dog to retrieve. I'd like to do field practice driving and exercise my 2 year old black lab at the same time. She is a trained hunting retriever and I know she will bring the disc back like a champ every time. She has a fairly soft mouth but I would still like to know what Vibram material would stand up best to dog teeth. I know there are dog specific discs and materials out there, but I want to use disc golf discs for consistency between my practice and play. I don't know if it is necessary for me to specify, but I do not intend for her to catch the disc in the air at all, just retrieve.

I'm leaning towards maybe a Trak as I don't think I have quite the power for an Ascent. I can't decide between the firm and medium.

Any input on durability or anyone with experience with Vibram and dogs?

If you're set on going with Vibram, go with a soft. They have the most rubber in them and will likely hold up much longer than a medium or firm, both of which are infused with higher amounts of plastic in them and will likely show teeth marks, or get bitten through more easily.

If you're not set on Vibram, the Latitude 64 Bite is an awesome dog disc. VERY durable and flies pretty decently.

They actually have a Vibram dog disc. It was at my local disc shop just the other day. I do believe it was molded after the VP, but just deemed to be a "dog frisbee". It was only like 11 bucks if i recall correctly!

Latitude64 Bite is the only disc that flies good and stands up to the torture of dog teeth. My weimaraner just likes to lay down and chew on it and I've had it over a year and it's still usable. I'll be getting him a new one after winter but it's been the best ten bucks I've spent on a dog disc. None of the others even compare that you might find at a pet store

Echo the Bite. My best pal loves it.

Im interested in that Vibram dog disc. I know my dog would bite through a Vibram in any blend, but if they have a VP like disc that is a dog specific blend that would be awesome!

Doesnt look like a VP to me, but heres what I found:

http://www.pampermepuppy.com/vibr-disc-dog-toy-set.html

FTR: I wouldnt go with a driver, as the flight plates and rim are pretty thin and could cause your pql to accidentally bite through. I would stick with a putter, soft or medium, or try one of these dog discs and see if they feel enough like a dog disc.

Anything CE plastic from Innova works the best. If you are stuck on Vibram look at a thicker rim putter or mid, it should hold a bit better.

The Latitude 64 Bite and the Vibram dog discs look cool and I'm sure they would hold up, but they look to have the shapes of more traditional dog frisbees (let me know if I'm wrong) and I'm looking for something more disc golf disc like.

I'm not set on Vibram, but I just assumed that their softer bounce-back material would hold up better to a dog bite.

Good point about a putter maybe being a little thicker and holding up better. I can certainly practice my short drives and long approach shots with my pooch.

Bite, Superhero, Supersonic,etc. Are all small diameter fastback style discs. Bite actually flies really well and can actually do hyzer flips and anhyzers.

Do you ever drive with Vibram putters? Ridge and VP can actually be throw really far. Summit too. And Ibex or Obex would probably hold up well. If you have a local shop or sporting goods store that carries Vibram and has some softs maube pick up a soft and a medium and have your furry friend try 'em out?

I drive with wizards on shorter holes. Anything less than 230', though out in an open field I know I can get them further. So I was looking at either the Ridge or Sole. I know my PIAS has some Vibram. I may have to check them out.

My buddy had a Bite & it flew great. It seemed super durable at first but only took a couple weeks for his shepherd to get through it

Did he leave it with the dog when he wasn't playing? I could see it being gone in a day if I did that with my dog but I always put it up and it's gone a year. Covered in tooth holes by now but I can't see any rubber disc lasting that long.

http://www.chuckit.com/#/product/flyers/zipflight

I use a disc called the Zip Flight by a company called Chuckit. It is a total dog toy but it flies great. You can get them at any PetSmart. My schnauzer f'ing loves it. It is solid enough to hold a flight but she can catch in her mouth full speed without it hurting her. She loves when I throw a FH roller and she can take chase. They are like $15.

Discing dogs are the best! I wanted to show a couple videos of our discing pup snagging some discs out of the air. This is Vida, my twin brother's Australian Cattle Dog. She loves to chase and catch discs and she is great at sniffing them out to find them.

We generally throw any disc for her to chase and often we'll throw my Star San Marino Roc (in the first video), but I prefer for her to catch my FLX Challenger (in the second video). I sometimes worry about her catching hard plastic but it doesn't seem to bother her. She has a gentle grip and doesn't bite into the discs at all.

I would recommend FLX plastic for a dog. We have a dogobie and a Kong disc for her but pup always wants to play with our discs.

I have an Aussie too cheers... I'm not real familiar with Vibram but as far as plastic goes anything base plastic or soft plastic won't last long one good chomp and there will be sharp parts on the rim. I recommend champion/Z/opto plastic for durability, though star/flx/esp/goldline seems to be fairly resistant and a little softer it bends enough there is less speed dimples in the top. My dog is not trained to catch them.. if you are doing that there is a Jaws glow disc and other soft alternatives that fly slower so he doesn't knock his teeth out. My dog isn't as big on putters as drivers, he likes to step on the rim to lift it up and grab it off the ground, furthermore as far as resistance goes in the long run my favourite is still a 160 Roadrunner, the wide rim is where Jakes teeth sit so he doesn't damage the top of the flight plate, they have the best longevity. Plus Roadrunners are fun to throw every which way, FH,BH,OH, Roller. Blizzard discs suck even if they do float, less plastic faster to warp.

Latest posts