• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A Hand/Skincare PSA

Dthunderchicken

Double Eagle Member
In October I talked to my dermatologist and asked him about my finger tips splitting in the winter. It's something I've dealt with for many years. The dermatologist said that the thick dead skin on my fingers would dry and split taking the live skin underneath with it. He recommended that I start using an exfoliating hand lotion containing urea. (Yeah, that's piss.) Fast forward to this post and not one finger split yet this year. I'm using Eucerin Roughness Relief Lotion. The only downside I've see is that my hands have softened and might cut easier. I hope this helps someone.

Hope you found something that works for you in the long run.

For what it's worth, if you find that it actually makes them too soft, you can always follow Moisés Alou's lead...

He'd urinate on his hands to toughen them up... truth.

His urea wasn't processed/purified like the stuff Eucerin uses

It's low hanging fruit, but I've had a rough day and need to entertain myself.

Yes, have always had that problem every year when winter sets in (even in my California winters), will try that product.

Even though I would use lotion very often, I still had problems. I think it's common for people who are out in the weather often.

I did large animal medicine for many years and had the same issue no matter who's "lotion" I used. Go through the litany from Cornhuskers to Jergens to Vaseline etc.... My GP told me to try Eucerin and all that is in the past. As soon as temps start to drop and the humidity with it the last thing I do at night before I turn out the lights is grease with Eucercin. Good stuff. Not your basic hand lotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read reviews and it sounds like it works but doesn't absorb well - do you have strategies for not getting it all over anything you touch?

It's one of the reasons I'm hesitant to use.

I read reviews and it sounds like it works but doesn't absorb well - do you have strategies for not getting it all over anything you touch?

There are cotton gloves people use to cover medications on hands.

That is really the idea. It is also the idea behind the use of cremes over lotions. I would suggest using at night and making use of some cotton gloves, as stated by DiscGolfRando above. I am guessing you can find some at your local pharmacy or the google.

I use it sparingly. One pump from the bottle and no more. After it dries as much as I think it's going to, I grab something out of the laundry hamper and wipe my hands.

One thing I've discovered is that after cutting onions or garlic, my hands don't smell after I wash them. (This has been a problem for me recently.) But the capsaicin from jalapenos doesn't wash off. (And I have the red watery eye to prove it right now.)

I use it sparingly. One pump from the bottle and no more. After it dries as much as I think it's going to, I grab something out of the laundry hamper and wipe my hands.

One thing I've discovered is that after cutting onions or garlic, my hands don't smell after I wash them. (This has been a problem for me recently.) But the capsaicin from jalapenos doesn't wash off. (And I have the red watery eye to prove it right now.)

As Dthunder said use sparingly and as I said at bed time. One pump, rub it in, rub whatever little excess there is on your palms into your forearms, turn out the light and go to sleep. Don't use it during the day. Not necessary.

This is hilarious, because I remember as a kid in sports, being told by my dad to pee in the shower to avoid athlete's foot.

.... and to keep your feet smooth as a baby's butt

Related: But the sport also needs a PSA regarding sun exposure on the face as well. Some of our elite players have obvious sunspots, damaged skin, etc. I've always wondered why this isn't mentioned more in our sport.

I use the latex or plastic gloves if I'm having dry hand issues. It rubs the lotion on it's skin, puts the glove on the hand. It really accelerates the healing in my experience. Same thing for feet only rub lotion or whatever on them and then cover with socks.

I also use those kinds of gloves for a lot of cooking I do (grilling/smoking meats).

I've always been a handwasher, but with COVID, I wash more and sanitize often, so lots more opportunity to dry out the skin.

My hands started getting dry and cracking at the knuckles and fingertips during the winter when I was in my 20s. At the time, I was working as a shipping/receiving/mailroom guy. I assumed that spending time out in the cold on the receiving dock and handling a ton of paper was causing it. Fast forward to 2020, I'm 80% work from home and primarily a keyboard warrior. Still get the same issues with dry, cracking hands.

I've had success with some of the lotions mentioned, but never stick with it because I can't stand the greasy feeling that the lotions leave behind. Those recommending to just apply at night are right. I just need to get in the habit.