• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A Inexpensive Way to Measure Distance

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I used to use a 330ft tape measure to measure distance in a field, but its a pain in the ass to lay out that tape measure, make off the distance and then the roll it back up. I was looking for a measuring wheel, but I couldn't find any for less than $30. Then, I was looking online, and I found this online at Harbor Freight Tools:

measuringwheel.jpg

I decided to go to the store and check this one out , and while I was looking, I found one right next to it, that is digital, does a lot more, and it was only $15. This thing will measure up to 10,000ft, and will also do meters, and inches, and centimeters. Here are the pics of the one I just got for $15:

0612102104a.jpg

0612102104.jpg

That's pretty cool

I can't wait to try it tomorrow to measure my throws. Neither can my wife. I am using it to measure the apartment right now, even running alog the ceiling, and my wife is giving me dirty looks, and telling me to go to bed.

Nice wheel. Is it accurate?

I believe so. I ran it up the wall, and it measured 8ft exactly. I will find out tomorrow. I know at my practice field, that its 220ft from sidewalk to the first set of trees, so I will see. I also might lay out my 25ft tape measure and put it against that.

I have some concerns about the large amount of toolbars in your browser.

I want to pick one of these up for myself. The ones Ive seen were like 15-20 bucks. 8 bucks sounds pretty good to me. I usually measure my throws by looking at the distance on the tee sign and then estimate by how far away I am from the basket. Its not 100% accurate but I can guess it within 10 feet or so.

Last edited:
way cool.

even easier way? go to a baseball field. throw a few. start from the fence then pace off the difference farther or shorter. free.

:)

I've owned and used the Harbor freight wheel, it has fallen apart now. If I were to buy another I would try the cheaper $8 one.

For now I have a roll of twine measuring 1000ft total with incraments of 100ft marked off and 50ft between 250ft and 500ft. One end is tied to a screwdriver that gets staked in the grass.

I've owned and used the Harbor freight wheel, it has fallen apart now. If I were to buy another I would try the cheaper $8 one.

For now I have a roll of twine measuring 1000ft total with incraments of 100ft marked off and 50ft between 250ft and 500ft. One end is tied to a screwdriver that gets staked in the grass.

is that why all of harbor freight's stuff is so inexpensive? it's cheap crap?

I've got a few questions: Which Store? and what Department? I've been looking for something like this. I was looking for range finders, don't know why I didn't think about one of these!

I'm sorry, I must chime in. I use Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, I've been Internet Explorer Free for over a year now. Take the step, you will thank me for it. I.E. has been banished from my computer.

We got one of those stores around here so I might get one of those as well. I can only guess or estimate what my driving distance is. I really have know idea what my max distance is so far, accurately.

I go to a football field almost daily, that's 360'. I know with my drives I can get 400'+ on everyone. I am going to get one of these tomorrow from the store and walk off a park near my house and paint lines for 300, 350, 400, 450, 500. This will save the 3 mile drive to the field!! Nice find!!!!

i still cant let that toolbar setup go...

dang midnight, you really need to clear that up, it'll help your browsing speed, and just outright look better

easy way is to goto "add/remove programs" and delete that stash of cooperate poo off your screen

thats just unbelievable, up there for the worst i seen hahaha

I just realized you said where to get it. It's late, I'm tired, and common sense has left me standing here. MotoDJ is right on the money! :thmbup:

i measure distance by standing right where i threw it from and harshly overestimating my power. 450 easy.

Latest posts