• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A Inexpensive Way to Measure Distance

I'm pretty confident that my 9 steps is just about exactly 24 ft.
Wow, my pace is exactly the same. I'm 6'1" and I've paced 300 ft football fields many times. But I find it much simpler to use
3 paces = 8 ft.

So I divide the paces by 3 and multiply by 8. I've done it on over 150 courses so that's a couple thousand holes. I can quickly make these calculations in my head now.

ex- 75 paces / 3 = 25 x 8 = 200 ft.

Oh yeah, and it's free.

I use a wheel for work, I have had a small one like that before. It works well on smooth surfaces but when you get out on the bumpy ground you will find it is hard to keep in contact. The price was right! Good luck.

put in a driving range at our course about 2 months ago.
100' out to 500' with 50' increments.
humbled several players who thought they were chuckin' a whole lot farther than they were.

Last edited:
I use a wheel for work, I have had a small one like that before. It works well on smooth surfaces but when you get out on the bumpy ground you will find it is hard to keep in contact. The price was right! Good luck.

I bought one of the small ones at home depot for measuring distance in the field and brought it back after using it a couple times, it just didn't work good on bumpy services and I always worried about the little wheels getting jammed up. I bought one of the big ones shortly thereafter and it works great! The price is definitely right for the small one though.

Wow, my pace is exactly the same. I'm 6'1" and I've paced 300 ft football fields many times. But I find it much simpler to use
3 paces = 8 ft.

So I divide the paces by 3 and multiply by 8. I've done it on over 150 courses so that's a couple thousand holes. I can quickly make these calculations in my head now.

ex- 75 paces / 3 = 25 x 8 = 200 ft.

Oh yeah, and it's free.

You must have a decently short inseam (leg length). I'm 6' and my pace is between 34" and 36" (inseam 34"). My paces match up exactly with Google Earth (with a one notable exception) and regulation football fields. Cheap again and you don't have to worry too much about math! :thmbup:

is that why all of harbor freight's stuff is so inexpensive? it's cheap crap?

It's not so much that it's cheap crap, you just get the quality you pay for. They're not selling top quality stuff, but for the not-so-serious DIY'er it's decent stuff. Most of their hand tools won't last me long at work, but some times you'll find something that does OK. And you won't be paying the price of Mac or Snap-On tools.

The measuring wheels work all right if you've got a smooth, clear area. It will get you pretty close to an accurate measurement. The smaller the wheel, the less accurate. And if you're not walking a very straight line, you'll be adding a little extra to your throws before you even turn on a computer.

i still cant let that toolbar setup go...

dang midnight, you really need to clear that up, it'll help your browsing speed, and just outright look better

easy way is to goto "add/remove programs" and delete that stash of cooperate poo off your screen

thats just unbelievable, up there for the worst i seen hahaha

It dosen't bother me. Hell, I really don't even notice it. With all that I have been through in the past few years, that tool bar is the least of my worries.

I know this is not the best wheel out there, but I am only going to used it to lay out my cones for distance, I am not going to use it to measure every shot. Plus, I am only going to use it once a week. So, for the price, I think it will do fine. I wouldn't use it for any commercial work, but for what I am doing, it will work great. I am going to try it this evening and report back.

From years in HS and college marching band, I pace 8 steps per every 5 yards. Accurately.

Used the wheel this evening and it worked pretty good. You have to go a little slow when you hit some bumpy spots, or it throws it off a little but other than that, worked well. It also helped me mark some trees at the end of my field. This way, I know how far it is to each tree, and I don't have to measure every time.

I would love a cheap way to measure distance.

However, in the meantime, WTF is up with all of those toolbars? and IE8?

Come on, DG brought you to the internet, and DG will help you.

Google Chrome
Google Chrome Adblock

When programs ask you to install a "Ask jeeves.." or w/e else toolbar say NO

I have been using Google earth's measuring tool. I did some comparison measurements in my local park with a nearby football field, the results showed me the measuring tool in google earth is right on the money. I zoom in on my nearby park and measure from where I throw to trees and out buildings it has worked great.

I have been using Google earth's measuring tool. I did some comparison measurements in my local park with a nearby football field, the results showed me the measuring tool in google earth is right on the money. I zoom in on my nearby park and measure from where I throw to trees and out buildings it has worked great.

Its great unless there are trees then you can't see anything...but yeah, seems to be down to the inches on distance, which is probably more user error clicking than actual tolerance.

Latest posts