• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A tip I found to improve D...

Anything over 500' is extremely hard to do, it takes damn near perfect form and nose down through the apex. The last part is hard enough, just getting the disc to be nose down through the apex of the throw. Assuming there's no wind or elevation help...

I saw Schusterick park this hole this weekend at the Boomsday Classic. It's marked 552 but I don't know if it's accurate. It's slightly downhill but this was the longest I've ever seen a Destroyer go in my short DG career.
e31d1860.jpg

He then parked 18 with a Roc, it's marked 399. Both of these were blue tees.
dc60fac1.jpg

Any line drive golf shot over 450 is pretty impressive imo. I have played with some of the best pros and even they will not put a shot over 450 in the circle most of the time. It is funny how max distance translates to course distance though. I would say my golf distance maxes around 400' most days but on a distance line I can put it about 475-500. I certainly don't claim anything over 400' of distance in my posts, however. Max distance is very different from usable golf distance.

How downhill is hole 18 on that course? There is a 400ish hole on a course I've played that is deceptively downhill, and I can donkey punch a roc out there

How downhill is hole 18 on that course? There is a 400ish hole on a course I've played that is deceptively downhill, and I can donkey punch a roc out there

Not extreme downhill. It is a gradual slope to about where you can see the tee sign & then it's pretty flat to the basket. I know it's not an extremly long Roc shot for a top pro but it was impressive to see. The tee shot on the other hole is a different story, at least for me. I'm not used to the disc getting so small its hard to see because it it so far out there!

I've always read to not curl ur wrist, but to extend it during the snap at the apex. I will try your method but will hold you responsible for any ensuing injury.

Being an RN, I could probably help in fixing any injury you may incur. :thmbup:

I heard the same thing until I noticed that this is one of the ways I accelerated my hand from the sternum to the hit. Without it, I lose 25-50' or so of power, easily.

My power that I talk about is thrown on golf lines, not D lines. My version of a "big S" shot moves less than 30' side to side and is put within 50-60' of the intended target at 500'. IOW, my spray is not that wide.

I could definitely see WS park a 400' hole with a Roc. I have parked 400' holes with buzzzes and comets without much trouble, as long as they're straight. It's when they have to turn much where problems come in.

Last edited:
Any line drive golf shot over 450 is pretty impressive imo. I have played with some of the best pros and even they will not put a shot over 450 in the circle most of the time. It is funny how max distance translates to course distance though. I would say my golf distance maxes around 400' most days but on a distance line I can put it about 475-500. I certainly don't claim anything over 400' of distance in my posts, however. Max distance is very different from usable golf distance.

Very good posting. ^

The farthest I've ever thrown a disc via "usable golf distance" is 380 feet on a hole where you go down about a 10-degree grade for the first 325 feet, then up about a 25-30 degree grade for the last 75. Put the tee shot about 20 feet "below" the basket for a deuce-2. Felt like $1 million after doing it too...as it was just four years ago I couldn't ever hit 300 off the tee.

I've probably ripped a couple 425 or so (with a little help from grade, heat/humidity, and wind)...but they were junk throws...since I missed a good 80-100 feet left of the basket. "Flipping" a Boss or Katana a bit as a LHBH, then having them sail/glide in the wind for a mile. Pretty to watch, but worse than throwing it 360-375 feet accurately, since throwing it 360-375 accurately would give me a chance to make two...while throwing it 400+ wildly makes me have to save par with the up and down.

I've been playing (off and on) since I was six! Missed about 20 years in there with school, work and kids, but I've been playing since before we had baskets in our area. I still am generally only 315-320 feet off the tee after all those years. Would I love to hit 415-420? Absolutely. But if given the choice between throwing it 420 or being able to much-more-consistently hit the 30-35 foot putts? I'll throw it 250 off the tee...if "selling my soul" for something meant putting from 35 and having it look like the basket is about 4-5 times bigger than it actually is. ;-)

Very good posting. ^

The farthest I've ever thrown a disc via "usable golf distance" is 380 feet on a hole where you go down about a 10-degree grade for the first 325 feet, then up about a 25-30 degree grade for the last 75. Put the tee shot about 20 feet "below" the basket for a deuce-2. Felt like $1 million after doing it too...as it was just four years ago I couldn't ever hit 300 off the tee.

I've probably ripped a couple 425 or so (with a little help from grade, heat/humidity, and wind)...but they were junk throws...since I missed a good 80-100 feet left of the basket. "Flipping" a Boss or Katana a bit as a LHBH, then having them sail/glide in the wind for a mile. Pretty to watch, but worse than throwing it 360-375 feet accurately, since throwing it 360-375 accurately would give me a chance to make two...while throwing it 400+ wildly makes me have to save par with the up and down.

I've been playing (off and on) since I was six! Missed about 20 years in there with school, work and kids, but I've been playing since before we had baskets in our area. I still am generally only 315-320 feet off the tee after all those years. Would I love to hit 415-420? Absolutely. But if given the choice between throwing it 420 or being able to much-more-consistently hit the 30-35 foot putts? I'll throw it 250 off the tee...if "selling my soul" for something meant putting from 35 and having it look like the basket is about 4-5 times bigger than it actually is. ;-)

Very true. This is what I tell people that ask for advice. It's always better to start with accuracy and then increase your D. The funny thing is that when you get your timing down, *both* your accuracy and distance will improve together. It's because the disc has a lot more energy from the rip and the disc will go *exactly* the direction from the rip point, thus making it more "accurate" (assuming you're aiming correctly!).

People always seem to knock down-hill holes making claims they can rip 600' too downhill blah blah blah but noticed even on some of the most extreme sloped down-hill holes the degree only helped slightly and a bad drive was still a bad drive!

Very true. This is what I tell people that ask for advice. It's always better to start with accuracy and then increase your D. The funny thing is that when you get your timing down, *both* your accuracy and distance will improve together. It's because the disc has a lot more energy from the rip and the disc will go *exactly* the direction from the rip point, thus making it more "accurate" (assuming you're aiming correctly!).

^So TRUE! Its always the throws that feel effortless which seem to go the furthest AND the straightest! Recently been able to hit 350 on a consistent basis hoping to break 400' regularly but really see no advantage being able to drive much further and really does not seem like many pro's are even driving 400' consistently even if they CAN, those huge D shots hardly ever come into play like the 30-100'ers. Taking multiple still photos when driving as improved our form significantly. Next time you are out have a friend take photos of just you teeing off and throwing up shots- you will probably be shocked at how many DIFFERENT photos you will get and the many inconsistencies of your form become very apparent.

On the original topic- some wrist movement seems like a natural part of the throw but careful with over-extending which brings down accuracy and WILL hurt after a round if you are trying too hard. Let it be a pivot point not a power generating point.

On the original topic- some wrist movement seems like a natural part of the throw but careful with over-extending which brings down accuracy and WILL hurt after a round if you are trying too hard. Let it be a pivot point not a power generating point.

This is where we differ, AFTC--I found that actively opening the wrist (extension) *will* generate power IF AND ONLY IF your timing is correct. If not, well all bets are off.

This is where we differ, AFTC--I found that actively opening the wrist (extension) *will* generate power IF AND ONLY IF your timing is correct. If not, well all bets are off.

I guess depending on how much wrist extension we are talking about also. I agree that a slight opening of the wrist is productive to the throw but OVER extending can cause the issues.

People always seem to knock down-hill holes making claims they can rip 600' too downhill blah blah blah but noticed even on some of the most extreme sloped down-hill holes the degree only helped slightly and a bad drive was still a bad drive!

I'm not an authority on distance, but there's a course near me with an open field where the elevation (no more than 20' in elevation over 500' length) and the prevailing wind can make a difference of 100' in my drives, simply depending on which way I'm throwing. I'll be throwing around 400' down the slope with the breeze at my back, and then on the ensuing throws, a couple of minutes later, will struggle to break 300' up the slope into the wind. My longest ever throw was in this field, where I crushed my Katana and it caught the quartering tailwind under its left wing just right. It was well over 500' downfield when it landed. But I have never been able to repeat it.

Well, I would just like to thank all of you DG'ers that can throw 450'+.

Most new courses have at least four 400' holes, a 500'er in there and just for fun maybe a 600' - 700'+ holes.

Nothing is more fun that having to throw 4 to 5 of my longest shots just to get near the pin. Maybe you guys can build some jr's tee pads for us.:mad:

spraying right (RHBH)/ turning over drives, hurting wrist, slowing the natural pivot and power being generated from body by manipulating the wrist opening vs letting it snap out straight.

I extend about as much as Lundmark, maybe just a little more. It's hard to tell but it seems close. I have a completely different form than Feldberg. His is just odd. ;)

This will NOT cause you to turn over drives. That's all from either OAT or your arm finishing low relative to the plane your disc was on.

This can cause you to spray your drives but I said so earlier...

From my physiology courses, I highly doubt you're going to hurt yourself by doing this. I bet there have been more wrist injuries from people backhanding midgets than doing this...

Just remember with elevation that the general rule of thumb is for every 10' of elevation change, add or subtract 30' of effective distance. So, for a 500' hole that has a 30' drop, you're looking at a 410' hole, reachable for a lot of people and even a midrange shot for some pros.

Last edited:
I'm not an authority on distance, but there's a course near me with an open field where the elevation (no more than 20' in elevation over 500' length) and the prevailing wind can make a difference of 100' in my drives, simply depending on which way I'm throwing. I'll be throwing around 400' down the slope with the breeze at my back, and then on the ensuing throws, a couple of minutes later, will struggle to break 300' up the slope into the wind. My longest ever throw was in this field, where I crushed my Katana and it caught the quartering tailwind under its left wing just right. It was well over 500' downfield when it landed. But I have never been able to repeat it.

I agree- Wind is a huge factor for big D and starting to notice it more and more. We have a lot of courses with down-hill shots specially hole #18 on hyland ski/snow board area which is almost 700' down hill and a good angle slop being a ski hill yet still most people are probably only driving another 100' and only due to their fade being longer before hitting the ground. Have come close to parking this hole, but only ONCE actually done it out of manyyyyy drives. There is a similar hole which always seems to have a crosswind and IMO those are the worst!