• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

According to the salesman at Dicks Sporting Goods.. the Tern is replacing the Teebird

I had a sales guy tell me there is no such thing as overstable and understable discs. I tried to tell him the differences and he said yeah I know what they say, but the discs I found and play with go right and left..... So he must be one of them REALLY good disc golfers.

Considering that Dick's selection sucks, that their prices are sky high and that their employees don't know jack about our game, I'm not losing any sleep over them being in the DG business.

If anything, what I've discovered is that as people who buy their initial discs at a Dick's or Academy or Wal-Mart or some similar store make their way to a local course, they run into folks while they are there who are members of the local club, who not only know the discs, but end up buying their club stock from one of the biggest online vendors in the country, can get them access to most any mold available from any manufacturer, in any weight the player desires, and get that disc to the player about $2-3 cheaper. As the number of "in the know" people increases, so does the likelihood that the next batch of uninformed people who buy their initial discs at big box stores are going to run into them.

I definitely agree with this. I bought my first innova starter set at Dick's and then found my way to DGCR. Needless to say I've never bought another disc at Dick's, but I'm glad I was able to get a starter set there to introduce me to the sport.

The awesomeness of this thread is that nobody admits to ever having to work a a really really stupid job to pay the rent. That doesn't happen in America.

if you are gonna judge a guy who is just trying to pay the rent.....over an opinion about a TeeBird vs a whatever, and you are gonna rant on that guy because he knows less than you ( lol.....) great.
for
All I can say is...he's working and you are looking a solution to your throwing problem in Dick's.

OP only gets cool points if he made the salesman cry.

On the subject of retail wage slaves not knowing anything about what they're selling -- we are partially to blame for that. Once upon a time, retail salespeople were on commission, and they knew a lot about everything. They could tell you why that TV on the end is $300 more than the one you want to buy. They could tell you why something doesn't work on the washer you just bought from them. They knew how to hook up the stuff you bought, and they'd do it for you if it kept you from returning it (chargebacks were an absolute pain).

But we didn't like their "high-pressure" sales pitches (usually for very good reasons). We didn't like the idea that someone was getting paid based on what they sold me, so the model changed. They started hiring people for just over minimum wage, but they'd still train them on product knowledge (I got paid to do this for Lowe's about fifteen years ago -- pretty good gig!). But people making just over minimum wage don't care about product knowledge -- they're clerks, not salespeople. Retailers realized that the money they were spending on product training wasn't getting them any return, so they stopped.

So now rather than informed salespeople who are trying to sell you something, we've got wage slaves who don't even know where to find the bathrooms in their store.

On the subject of retail wage slaves not knowing anything about what they're selling -- we are partially to blame for that. Once upon a time, retail salespeople were on commission, and they knew a lot about everything. They could tell you why that TV on the end is $300 more than the one you want to buy. They could tell you why something doesn't work on the washer you just bought from them. They knew how to hook up the stuff you bought, and they'd do it for you if it kept you from returning it (chargebacks were an absolute pain).

But we didn't like their "high-pressure" sales pitches (usually for very good reasons). We didn't like the idea that someone was getting paid based on what they sold me, so the model changed. They started hiring people for just over minimum wage, but they'd still train them on product knowledge (I got paid to do this for Lowe's about fifteen years ago -- pretty good gig!). But people making just over minimum wage don't care about product knowledge -- they're clerks, not salespeople. Retailers realized that the money they were spending on product training wasn't getting them any return, so they stopped.

So now rather than informed salespeople who are trying to sell you something, we've got wage slaves who don't even know where to find the bathrooms in their store.

they normally know where the bathroom is (where else can they text?). Part of the reason I like Home Depot is that they have master plumbers, electricians and carpenters during the week.

Are they a good thing or a bad thing?

They look great for the legit online retail space. But do the 500+ locations kill the indie shops? Does their mailorder side kill the local indies? Are they providing an insincere corporate approach, or is it true-bros on a grand scale?

Never heard of it, genuinely curious. I won't finish anything tonight if I go far beyond Wikipedia to learn. Thanks :)

In skateboarding there has always been a huge push towards supporting local skateshops. Another one is buying brand name boards instead of generic blank boards. It helps keep money in skateboarding and out of say Nike's hand, who actually have a skate team with vets like Paul Rodriquez and Stefan Janoski. Um.............anywYs:eek:

they normally know where the bathroom is (where else can they text?). Part of the reason I like Home Depot is that they have master plumbers, electricians and carpenters during the week.

As for the so called master plumbers, electricians, ect... I'm not sure that they are hanging out at the depot. The best in the trade, for one, don't shop there, and two, don't do any sub-contracting work for the big box stores. You actually don't have to be that good here in the usa to be able to call yourself a master craftsman, especially carpenters. There is no governing body (unless you are in a union, and I'm not sure why they would be at the HD during the week?) over masters in the woodworking world. Here in the usa we do not have a guild system like they do in Europe, so the title is mostly self appointed, and doesn't mean much.

As for the so called master plumbers, electricians, ect... I'm not sure that they are hanging out at the depot. The best in the trade, for one, don't shop there, and two, don't do any sub-contracting work for the big box stores. You actually don't have to be that good here in the usa to be able to call yourself a master craftsman, especially carpenters. There is no governing body (unless you are in a union, and I'm not sure why they would be at the HD during the week?) over masters in the woodworking world. Here in the usa we do not have a guild system like they do in Europe, so the title is mostly self appointed, and doesn't mean much.

fortunately i dont need their help much besides finding what aisle stuff is on

The awesomeness of this thread is that nobody admits to ever having to work a a really really stupid job to pay the rent. That doesn't happen in America.

if you are gonna judge a guy who is just trying to pay the rent.....over an opinion about a TeeBird vs a whatever, and you are gonna rant on that guy because he knows less than you ( lol.....) great.
No, we're going to rant on him for pretending he knows more than us, thinks we're some newb who doesn't know anything and demonstrates in the process that he hasn't got a clue. I'd rather such a person give me an honest, "I don't know" than pull that schtick. To most seasoned disc golfers, that kind of talk is insulting.

All I can say is...he's working and you are looking a solution to your throwing problem in Dick's.
No, more than likely we're just checking out the disc golf section at Dick's because we have the significant other in tow, and the rest of the damned shopping center sucks because its nothing but overpriced chick stores we would never set foot in.

I love it when the employees insist that they know more than you, when they obviously don't. I have had a similar occurrence over disc characteristics. Being a professional cabinetmaker, I can't even step foot in the home depot anymore.

I don't have that problem at my local home depot, because there are never any employees around to help me anyway. Well, there are at least never any employees around when I want help. When I don't want help, that's when I seem to attract them like gnats to a cow's face.

QFT:
I don't have that problem at my local home depot, because there are never any employees around to help me anyway. Well, there are at least never any employees around when I want help. When I don't want help, that's when I seem to attract them like gnats to a cow's face.
:hfive:

A few years ago in Durham, NC, I saw a couple trying to play with minis. I gave them a real disc and asked why they were playing with minis, and they said the clerk at target (I think) said they would be fine using minis.:wall:

A few years ago in Durham, NC, I saw a couple trying to play with minis. I gave them a real disc and asked why they were playing with minis, and they said the clerk at target (I think) said they would be fine using minis.:wall:

LOL. I'm actually starting to think these sale people know exactly what is up, and are just messing with people.

I'm at Dick's all the time for my kids sports gear and such. So I occasionally browse the disc selection. I found a 12X flat Firebird. It's the only one I have ever seen there. It's always Aviars, Sharks and Grooves. It's been over a year I always check hoping to find another, never happens, just more Groove selection, LOL.

I hate it when disc golfers think they know about shoes.
Just because youve owned one pr of hiking shoes and they fit better then your poorly fitted high school basketball shoes does not make you an expert.

I hate it when disc golfers think they know about shoes.
Just because youve owned one pr of hiking shoes and they fit better then your poorly fitted high school basketball shoes does not make you an expert.

What?