• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

According to the salesman at Dicks Sporting Goods.. the Tern is replacing the Teebird

I'm at Dick's all the time for my kids sports gear and such. So I occasionally browse the disc selection. I found a 12X flat Firebird. It's the only one I have ever seen there. It's always Aviars, Sharks and Grooves. It's been over a year I always check hoping to find another, never happens, just more Groove selection, LOL.

I've never seen a mold I throw in Dick's. Even with my evolving bag, I've not seen a mold I threw in the last 3 years.

As for the so called master plumbers, electricians, ect... I'm not sure that they are hanging out at the depot. The best in the trade, for one, don't shop there.

Are you saying that master craftsman have some secret hardware store they all go to for nails and pipe?

... you're probably right, it's called Lowe's.

Are you saying that master craftsman have some secret hardware store they all go to for nails and pipe?

... you're probably right, it's called Lowe's.

I hate Lowes. when i was in the service we had all their crappy tools and the **** broke ALL THE TIME. ever since then I havent stepped in there.

I hate it when disc golfers think they know about shoes.
Just because youve owned one pr of hiking shoes and they fit better then your poorly fitted high school basketball shoes does not make you an expert.

Well, I have been wearing and buying shoes for 50 years, maybe not an expert, but I sure figure most of this rocket science out. :p

^^^From the looks of a lot of the chuckers on the course, most disc golfers aren't rocket scientists anyways. :D

Well, I have been wearing and buying shoes for 50 years, maybe not an expert, but I sure figure most of this rocket science out. :p

My point is, when someone ask what the BEST dg shoe is, having worn one or two of them doesnt qualify one to give the answer.
Imo, most here are no better than the kid at dicks.

My point is, when someone ask what the BEST dg shoe is, having worn one or two of them doesnt qualify one to give the answer.
Imo, most here are no better than the kid at dicks.
Yeah, but most here aren't trying to sell something based on sales approach bravado either. They're simply stating what has worked for them.

That and they are answering a question that was actually asked. I can't say the same about salespeople in various stores I've shopped in.

On the subject of retail wage slaves not knowing anything about what they're selling -- we are partially to blame for that. Once upon a time, retail salespeople were on commission, and they knew a lot about everything. They could tell you why that TV on the end is $300 more than the one you want to buy. They could tell you why something doesn't work on the washer you just bought from them. They knew how to hook up the stuff you bought, and they'd do it for you if it kept you from returning it (chargebacks were an absolute pain).

But we didn't like their "high-pressure" sales pitches (usually for very good reasons). We didn't like the idea that someone was getting paid based on what they sold me, so the model changed. They started hiring people for just over minimum wage, but they'd still train them on product knowledge (I got paid to do this for Lowe's about fifteen years ago -- pretty good gig!). But people making just over minimum wage don't care about product knowledge -- they're clerks, not salespeople. Retailers realized that the money they were spending on product training wasn't getting them any return, so they stopped.

So now rather than informed salespeople who are trying to sell you something, we've got wage slaves who don't even know where to find the bathrooms in their store.

Ding Ding Ding

Did you write a thesis on this? It's kind of refreshing when I go to a specialty store (where I REALLY want the salesman's help) and they are SUPER knowledgeable. I don't expect anything but a teenager who might know where the bathroom is and can clean up puke when I go to a big box store.

I've never looked for discs at Dick's, but I run into this same thing at REI - Grooves, Sharks, Aviars, Wraiths. What bugs me a little is Innova HAS to be pushing these grooves on these stores, knowing no one wants them!

What kind of BS move is that to take your un-sellable stock and give it to noobs? Love you Dave but that one makes me scratch my head.

Yeah, but most here aren't trying to sell something based on sales approach bravado either. They're simply stating what has worked for them.

That and they are answering a question that was actually asked. I can't say the same about salespeople in various stores I've shopped in.

Ill give you that:thmbup:

I know it is hard for some people to accept, but given the option of 1000 discs to choose from some people still willingly choose grooves based on the name and numbers. It is not some Innova conspiracy to force them on an unwitting public.

I got a Dick's gift card for Christmas and was like, oh no, I'll never find anything there.

I was very please to find a neon yellow/green Star Aviar P & A at 175g. This is an exact disc, other than this one being a better color than my other one, that's in my bag and I wanted a backup. Of course, I still have money on the card. But that's OK. I'll check again the next time I'm there. I know that Aviars aren't exotic or anything, but they are most definitely worth my 5 minutes, OK 3 minutes, spent browsing through their selection.

I've found the I get no advice at all when I'm at Dicks, which is OK with me. And I've actually been able to give some advice when some people asked me. I'm not the type to give unsolicited advice, but if someone asks, I'll give an opinion based upon my experience, and the collective knowledge of DGCR members. :clap:

Latest posts