• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ace Definition?

that was mentioned in the thread about brown aces. I did not make up these terms. I just gather and regurgitate the info.

Huh. I though a 'playing longs/ acing short was a black ace too. But acing a trash can is hilarious and needs a term if not brown ace...

Like, an "Oscar the Grouch?"

Huh. I though a 'playing longs/ acing short was a black ace too. But acing a trash can is hilarious and needs a term if not brown ace...

Like, an "Oscar the Grouch?"

It is a type of black ace, but a black ace includes hitting the wrong numbered basket. Brown ace only covers courses with dual baskets.

it is not.

An ace is like shooting the game winning buzzer beater in basketball. Practice shots before the game do not count, and there are no redos unless a pentalty is called. The only way to get the buzzer beater (ace) is to do it when it counts.

I'll second that. Giving yourself a "3...2...1...errrrrrn" in the driveway doesn't count.

Not sure this quite fits the list, but there's the "skip ace", which of couse is an ace but we like to remind the thrower just how %#%*^ lucky he was.

Then the "thumber ace", which a few have done at Stoney Hill and use the term just to get under my skin.

I was playing safari golf at Earlewood, #1 tee to #9 basket, and made it. I guess you could call it a "zebra ace" because it's part black ace---that's not the proper hole for that tee---but then again, it's the one I was aiming for.

It is a type of black ace, but a black ace includes hitting the wrong numbered basket. Brown ace only covers courses with dual baskets.

Heard. If you know it, Eastway #2 here in Charlotte was practically designed for browns. I don't have one there, but I've had several what would be straightforward 2nd shots on the long basket, but the short basket being a PITA obstacle.

Not sure this quite fits the list, but there's the "skip ace", which of couse is an ace but we like to remind the thrower just how %#%*^ lucky he was.

Then the "thumber ace", which a few have done at Stoney Hill and use the term just to get under my skin.

I was playing safari golf at Earlewood, #1 tee to #9 basket, and made it. I guess you could call it a "zebra ace" because it's part black ace---that's not the proper hole for that tee---but then again, it's the one I was aiming for.

I like zebra ace for a safari round. Working for me on two levels. You could get it stuffed and put it in the den.

I would say the true splash in ace is the lucky shot.

The skip ace usually lands real close to where intended and instead of skipping up on the green it lands perfectly and goes in. If it doesn't go in your still gonna have the duece put, unlike the true splash in thats gonna miss, sail, then skip, and waaaay off the green.

An ace has to be at least 350 feet, no wind, flat ground and at least one other witness and a video camera rolling to catch it on tape or it didn't happen.

If by definition, an ace is a shot in a scored round only, then 99 percent of claimed "aces" are just deuces. I can't get on with that. I've never had an ace in a tournament, but had a few handfuls in casual rounds. I'll be calling those aces till the day I die, just try and stop me ;)

Latest posts