• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ace Definition?

Shade Seeker

Speaking of definitions, how do most of you define "ace?" I always wonder when I hear other players talking about their high ace counts. I have only put one shot in off the tee, but it was a "practice shot" after I threw my real drive, so I don't count it. Is that the way everyone else sees it? I mean, that guy with hundreds of aces on U-Tube obviously stands there are keeps firing away until he makes it. Does it have to be a "real" shot to be a "real" ace?

Yes, you can say you have a 'Cubby' ace though!

The guy in the videos is Carl Cubbage, king of the video edited aces.

ACE: First shot of a tee area that goes into the basket and counts as a one on the score card.

Black ace: a shot thrown from the tee pad that goes into the wrong basket.

Cubby Ace: a shot thrown into the basket from the tee pad that was not your first throw.

This is the part where Neo sees the cat glitch. The agents are coming. Hide.

The guy in the videos is Carl Cubbage, king of the video edited aces.

ACE: First shot of a tee area that goes into the basket and counts as a one on the score card.

Black ace: a shot thrown from the tee pad that goes into the wrong basket.

Cubby Ace: a shot thrown into the basket from the tee pad that was not your first throw.
You forgot about field aces pre!!

You forgot about field aces pre!!

Field aces: ways for westerners to feel good about making a long approach

Brown ace: variation of a black ace, When you throw your disc into the short basket on the first throw, but you are playing the long basket. (color sometimes changed depending upon colors of pin locations)

Target ace: an ace on a tone pole or non-catching target

First attempt at throwing at the hole on that round. Not a practice throw, not a throw everything in your bag at it, not an optional rethrow after a bad drive.

Speaking of definitions, how do most of you define "ace?" I always wonder when I hear other players talking about their high ace counts. I have only put one shot in off the tee, but it was a "practice shot" after I threw my real drive, so I don't count it. Is that the way everyone else sees it? I mean, that guy with hundreds of aces on U-Tube obviously stands there are keeps firing away until he makes it. Does it have to be a "real" shot to be a "real" ace?

I often empty my bag on short holes if nobody is behind me.

You mean if I actually put one in the basket it ain't an ace?!

I often empty my bag on short holes if nobody is behind me.

You mean if I actually put one in the basket it ain't an ace?!

it is not.

An ace is like shooting the game winning buzzer beater in basketball. Practice shots before the game do not count, and there are no redos unless a pentalty is called. The only way to get the buzzer beater (ace) is to do it when it counts.

^^^ I like that analogy!

Maybe even add: re-enacting the attempted buzzer beater after you've finished the game and come back out to the gym after your shower, does not count, either!

I'll play along:D In addition to the 'real' ace, cubby, black, brown etc....what bout 'back yard aces'...aces made on your first throw during a (casual beer fueled) round in the back yard with buddies? Or what about aces made in an ace race where you get to throw 2 consecutive throws per hole instead of playing the course twice? I have some of each of all the variations, but if anyone asks, I only have 2 aces. 'Qualifying adjective' before 'ace'=not ace

First attempt at throwing at the hole on that round. Not a practice throw, not a throw everything in your bag at it, not an optional rethrow after a bad drive.

Field aces: ways for westerners to feel good about making a long approach

Brown ace: variation of a black ace, When you throw your disc into the short basket on the first throw, but you are playing the long basket. (color sometimes changed depending upon colors of pin locations)

Target ace: an ace on a tone pole or non-catching target

I've always thought of a 'Brown Ace' as being in a trashcan.

I'd only count the real deal. I've got one, actual tee shot, actual round.

But, it WAS a Canadian girlfriend. Solo round, no witnesses. A term I owe somebody on here a debt of gratitude for introducing me to. I'm a sucker for the 80's movie reference.

Latest posts