• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Ace Race 2010-Discraft Hornet

Just played the Ace Race at South Mountain in Bethlehem, PA this morning. Grabbed a 168 Yellow and a 175 Pink; the weights were enough for a difference I thought. The lower weight turned over with less effort for me, which indicated to me that it was more Buzzz-ish than anything else. That's a personal opinion, though. It's literally a Buzzz with a trapezoidal dome--not a completely rounded top. The heavier one was good for hyzer shot and forehand shots. Didn't shoot well forehand like jongoff09 (but congrats on the Ace, bud!). I think it will find a place in my bag for the following: get out of jail shots needing stability, meathooks suited for more than a Buzzz, and controlled midrange cranks (borderline fairway driver).

so this bring the DGCR'r count to 5 that attented the AR in Bethlehem? I hit chains and got metal there that day,Man if that one just stuck:wall:

So admittedly I didn't go back and read all of the pages, but here's some thoughts:

I agree with the 150's being very buzzz-like, and the heavier weights are like longer wasps. I had a pair of 160-166's (one on the lighter end, one on the heavier) and I threw them almost the same as I would have thrown my wasps, the main difference being slightly easier to turn over.

As some have said, ace races with slightly longer setups will have higher scores IMO - my card kept throwing what seemed to be the perfect line to the chains, but the shots would be 20' long, lol.

Also the disc didn't seem to like being underpowered. I tried a couple 60-70% throws and without enough spin there's just no glide or line shaping to it. I just resorted to all-or-nothing shots, no "50/50s"

Finally - anyone else think the plastic quality is absolutely garbage?? Both of my discs are significantly beat up and lost some of their fade after the tournament. They look and feel like ESP but I've got DX discs with 6 months of straight use that look about the same condition...it was really disappointing. I'm honestly not sure if they'll last 2 more weeks before being completely useless and flippy.

Finally - anyone else think the plastic quality is absolutely garbage?? Both of my discs are significantly beat up and lost some of their fade after the tournament. They look and feel like ESP but I've got DX discs with 6 months of straight use that look about the same condition...it was really disappointing. I'm honestly not sure if they'll last 2 more weeks before being completely useless and flippy.

The orange 150 I got seems like a very stiff ESP blend. I don't think it will take a beating very well. Almost feels like drugstore 99 cent frisbee plastic.

The white 175-177 (or whatever the weight range just below 177+ was) seems like a more durable blend you find on production discs.

so this bring the DGCR'r count to 5 that attented the AR in Bethlehem? I hit chains and got metal there that day,Man if that one just stuck:wall:

I didn't know anyone there from the forum, but I guess so! I think Peter set it up pretty well, but not close enough for me to get anything. :| My friend hit an ace on 6 and I watched it--absolutely nuts. Had a good time though, and I'm ready for the one in State College on 10/16 as a result. ;)

i am in love with my ace race disc. been using it instead of my wasp or a stable driver on a lot of holes. (i played in bethlehem)

I'm going to an ace race this weekend. Does an ace made in the tourney count as a "true" ace? Or because it's shorter than normal get some cool name like "cubby ace"? Just wondering because I plan to make 36 this weekend :p

Its a bit of an odd disc. I agree with what everyone else has said about it, generally. Plastic is closer to Elite-X than ESP and beat up pretty quickly. The disc will hold a pretty straight line when thrown at power and then fade out fairly strongly at the end. However, this meant that our shorter ace-race course was pretty hard to hit an ace on because you couldn't throw it straight at the chains without putting a lot more power on it than necessary.

I don't think it's going to replace my wasp, but not a bad disc, necessarily.

I'm going to an ace race this weekend. Does an ace made in the tourney count as a "true" ace? Or because it's shorter than normal get some cool name like "cubby ace"? Just wondering because I plan to make 36 this weekend :p

When I asked this earlier, the general consensus was that if it's from a regular tee, then yes, but if it's from a shortened tee, then no.

I've got it in my bag but I really never throw it. It'll be taken out when I decide to fill the slot with something else. It's too fast for a mid, it's got garbage glide, and it does nothing that a buzzz won't. I would even throw my buzzz before the AR disc in the wind. Or just skip it and throw a flick or something.

[Originally Posted by CaptainAnhyzer
I took the new disc out in a field and threw it around. Pretty much a carbon copy of the Roc..... maybe they should name it the Pebble.]

[then maybe they should name it
Chevy, 'cause it's like a roc ...]

I don't mean to seem like a jerk but, do you guys realize that the "ROC" is referring to a mythical bird creature not a "Rock" as in a stone?

;)

I like the disc. I have been using it as a compliment to my Comets. I think the glide is fine. The fade is predictable and I can count on it in a headwind. Wind gusts around here have been 25mph or better the last couple of days and its held up fine for me. The plastic does feel like a slightly nicer Elite X, but I like that plastic.

I don't mean to seem like a jerk but, do you guys realize that the "ROC" is referring to a mythical bird creature not a "Rock" as in a stone?

;)

ummm .. have you looked at a Roc?

ROC%20disc.jpg

Kinda hard to confuse that bird there for a stone, isn't it? Now, with that in mind, just imagine how funny it would be if I used to word 'Roc' to actually mean 'Rock'. Almost like I was playing with words. In fact, let's call it a "play on words" .. just for fun. What a neat term!

:p

When I asked this earlier, the general consensus was that if it's from a regular tee, then yes, but if it's from a shortened tee, then no.

lol, I qualify all aces in an ace race, just because the tournament is designed for it.

However one guy on my card hit his first ace ever during the tourney and he made us take pictures of him smiling with the disc in the basket, then called people and sent them picture messages of it. The hole was <100ft. I thought he was going a little overboard.

I may be being harsh, but this dude annoyed our card. He wasn't very good himself (the level where you throw everything 30 feet in the air off your backfoot-hyzer style) but walking around laughing and pointing at other cards calling them "novices" and "newbies" as they threw.

My gf, who was the caddy for my players pack swag, leans over and whispers "please beat him, he doesn't deserve that ace"

LOL

our shorter ace-race course was pretty hard to hit an ace on because you couldn't throw it straight at the chains without putting a lot more power on it than necessary.

I had the same issue, we had a short course, so it was extremely difficult for a "50/50" style shot. To hold a line you have to go all or nothing and hope you're accurate. The winner only had 2 aces.

I'm playing in another one this weekend at a totally different course so we'll see what happens.

I like it, used a white 177 gm, hit 2 metals. But i'm pissed, they wont let me use it in my league. I hope they aprove it soon, I'll be really bumed out if dont, I was gonna use it insted of my glow Roc, not saying its better then the Roc, just wanted to save the Roc for night rounds. Oh well, just have to wait and see.

I took the new disc out in a field and threw it around. Pretty much a carbon copy of the Roc..... maybe they should name it the Pebble.

I ran an Ace RAce Event on August 7th and my take was that it was Discraft's attempt at a Roc clone.

I wasnt in an Ace Race, but I field tested some for our local one before it happened and gave some feed back to the TD. I figured 130'-180' was about the best distance for ours (they did a glow round ace race). during daylight I would have pushed it to more like 150'-200'. it needs power to fly under its intended dynamics but it will definitely fly shorter if you have a good snap release.

Latest posts