• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Ace Race 2010-Discraft Hornet

Strangely the disc is usually approved by now...maybe they have no intention this year?

Breeze 9/30/03
Glide 10/6/04
Slipstream GT 10/31/05
Meteor 9/21/06
Impact 10/26/07
Nebula 11/26/08
Focus 9/9/09

Really last year was the only time the disc was approved this early in the Ace Race season. Sometime in October is pretty standard. The Nebula didn't get approved until Thanksgiving.

It was probably also very easy to approve the focus for a few reasons.

the focus had two different plastics for the Ace Race, so DC was familair with it in two plastics

since the focus isn't a new disc (wizard), it is easier to forecast it's success

a Putter is a better disc to use for an ace race. this disc isn't getting too much love as an ace race disc, so there isn't that much hype about the disc.

just my theories.

did anyone notice significant differences in the floppiness of the plastic in different colors. We only had Orange and Blue to choose from. Orange felt like a typical ESP, while the blue felt like a super floppy FLX plastic.

We had white, orange and green. We had one random blue disc, not much of a sample. The white ones were heavy and on the stiff side. The orange were in the 160's and fairly stiff. The green were in the 150's and 160's and on the softer side. The one blue disc was a 158g an on the softer side. None of them were so soft that they reminded me of FLX.

The white ones were the choice discs. My heavier white disc reminded me of the old Millennium Sentinel MF's (not the Q's, the old M's) in that they were faster than a Roc/Buzzz, worked really well on a lower line and if you threw them hard they were nice and straight with surprising glide and a predictable fade at the end. They also held a line into a headwind very well. The lighter green one flipped a bit on me (it did come back) and I wasn't as thrilled with it, but the heavy white one was sweet. I thought it was a lot more predictable as a backhand disc than a forehand disc.

I'm not sure how they will fit in the Discraft line-up as the Buzzz and Wasp are already "better on a low line stable mids" and it seems like they overlap a lot. They would mix well in a bag set-up with a Roc or a Comet IMO.

Oh thanks 3putt...talking out of my ass since I have only seen last year.

They only had orange, yellow and white at ours and a few lucky folks got blue ones.

We had orange, white, peach, and blue. They all felt reasonably similar, some minor differences but nothing that made it feel like a totally different plastic.

Yeah, it seems like with all of the discs of ours that I felt there was the same difference. A slightly stiffer regular ESP feel to the orange. I can just about fold my blue one in half. It's softer than almost every FLX disc I've ever had. One Ace Race of many isn't a huge sample either, but is what we ran into here in Kingman, AZ.

Absolutely agree on the different plastics. Played 2 dif ace races so far and the blues plastic is VERY soft, green flippy. I'd say orange or red in the 175ish range is my fav so far...but...still won't make in into my bag

I do not mind a softer putter for chain grabbing ability, but for my mids I want a harder plastic with tons of grip. That is kind of a tall order. The FLX Drone, at least the run that was more 75/25 ESP to FLX mix was nearly perfect. Of all the colors available for this year's ace race, which one would be closest to that? I was able to get my hands on one today for a few throws but the actual tournament is not until next Saturday. For the life of me I cannot remember what color it was. I really liked how it felt and it had a great predictable hyzer glide. I am currently using Star San Marino Rocs with great success, but this Ace Race disc seemed to have a cleaner release with almost the same results. I am seeing myself throwing this into my bag if I can grab two of the right ones.

I am thinking 176-178g would be my preferred weight based upon today's limited throws.

Just wanted to hear some opinions on a bit of a conflict of descriptions of the disc as I prepare for the local event. Some have said perhaps it is similar to a San Marino Roc, others say more stable than a DX Rancho. I have a 180 San Marino and some older MRVs in 174 to prepare with, but I find if I try to laser either of those they turn on me. Love the Roc for ani's though (RHBH). Is the Ace Race mid quite different to expect it might hold a straight line with power? It's sounding like I'll be asking for a max weight or figuring out how to finess it as I go.

I'd usually use an Aviar for the shorter ranges mentioned. Are these Ace Race discs too overstable to toss them like a wham-o (basically how I putt). Conversely, I wonder if a lighter one might work better on shorter holes in this way.

Cheers,

Kelly.

If your event is following the regular format, you don't putt. Throw from the tee, pick up, go to next tee, repeat. All of the shots should be set up in the shorter range.

As for the San Marino comparison, it depends. Do you mean the DX San Marino or the Star San Marino?

If your event is following the regular format, you don't putt. Throw from the tee, pick up, go to next tee, repeat. All of the shots should be set up in the shorter range.

As for the San Marino comparison, it depends. Do you mean the DX San Marino or the Star San Marino?

Hi there. Star San Marino. With the putting technique, I was wondering as I tend to use a finger-on-the-rim type throw with an Aviar on anything close to 100' or less. I've tried putting the afforementioned Roc for fun following the 'Roc as only disc' philosophy and didn't much care for that, but it could be done.

I suppose once I take a few test rips all will be revealed, but wondered allowed.

Cheers,

K.

I think the differences in opinion you are getting is more based on weight than anything as they seem to change the disc quite a bit.

The heavies seem to turn quicker and lack a bit of glide
The lighter ones can be turned over but don't turn until the last bit of flight (most of the time too late).

My favorite disc overall of the 4 I have is the lightest one, a green 161g. 2nd, the 166g Red one. The Orange and Blue are 179g and 181g respectively.

In this colors/weights it's almost like a longer Crystal Z BUZZ. I was surprised how stable it was in the lighter weight. I am going to bet it will lose this stability (beat in) VERY quickly though.

I was aiming 5-10 feet to the right of most holes throwing RHBH, flat release, and finished 2nd with 1 ace 5 metals. This was on an open course with gusting 15-25 mph winds. This disc did turn over just a couple times when thrown HARD on the longer holes and into the wind. It did come back every time though.

IMO the key to this disc is figuring out the right amount of snap (plenty) for the disc color/weight.

Attachments

• AceRace2010Discs.jpg
    AceRace2010Discs.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 21
I think the differences in opinion you are getting is more based on weight than anything as they seem to change the disc quite a bit.

The heavies seem to turn quicker and lack a bit of glide
The lighter ones can be turned over but don't turn until the last bit of flight (most of the time too late).

>>>>>>EXACTLY CORRECT<<<<<<

The color and weight is the ultimate question. Without knowing, I would prefer to grab an Orange 174-176. I am looking for something around or between my Star San Marino Roc and my Star Mako. Right now I am really locked in on those discs and would give me the best chance of getting some of those aces.

The color and weight is the ultimate question. Without knowing, I would prefer to grab an Orange 174-176. I am looking for something around or between my Star San Marino Roc and my Star Mako. Right now I am really locked in on those discs and would give me the best chance of getting some of those aces.

Doesnt matter the weights or colors. I doubt you will find one in between that.

Took 4th in the Aurora Ace Race today with 2 aces and 3 metal hits. The disc is a decent mid, flies similarly to my newish kc pro roc, but it seemed like a weird disc for an ace race. It's definitely not the best for shorter shots, and doesn't want to hold different lines on sub 200' shots. Both of my aces came on hyzers that I put way out right and had come back.
i was in first with 3 aces 1 metal. any idea what happened there?