• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ace Race...

paramaniac

Bogey Member
Ive been reading up on the Ace Races that are happening all around me and it got me thinking...

SHould I enter one? To make this more forum friendly, should a newer disc golfer enter one?

Im not the best and have yet to get anywhere close to an ace, but it looks like its a fun day. and for the small entry fee there seems to be some good perks. in addition to the perks, i would imagine there are quite a few seasoned players there that can lend some knowledge to the newer guys?

so, what say you? leave it up to the seasoned throwers or take a shot and try to make some new friends and get some fresh knowledge?

If I were you I'd definitely go. Even if I could only throw 30ft and had absolutely no chance of hitting an ace it'd still be worth it. The players pack is worth more than what you will spend to play anyway. Plus you get to have fun letting plastic fly! I've never been, but can't wait to go next month.

I've always liked ace races. It is a good value, 25 bucks gets you two new discs, entry for the tourney, and usually some other quality swag (like a hat or small bag, this year it is a metal water bottle). An ace race is more casual and relaxed compared to a normal tournament; you drive and it either goes in, hits metal, or misses, next hole. They are a good time and at the one I was at last year a 15 year old kid won with 1 ace and 1 metal. Everybody has a decent chance and it only takes a couple lucky throws to win.

Plus you get to meet other players of all skill levels. Get to know some of the guys and start playing a few rounds with them. Playing with better players makes you a better player.

By all means go! It looks like this years disc is going to be a good one. The courses are usualy shortend, to give everyone a chance to get aces. It will be my 14 year olds 1st tourny at this years ace race.

The Ace Race is supposed to be a FUN event, for all skill levels. So go, and have fun!

I'm leaving for one in about a half hour -- I've never hit an ace, and have only hit metal a couple of times, so my odds of winning are small. But I figure I'll have some fun and get some new plastic to throw, so it's better than sitting home doing yard work.

Of course, I'll have to do that anyway when I get home ....

Definitely. Enter. Go. Have Fun.
Went (out of town) to my first recently (the new discs are really good.... and purdy!), We had six players on my card, and I think in 27 holes we only had one ace and four metal hits, but they did a couple of consolation prizes. It's really fun.
I'll probably go again when we have our local one! :p

Free food, drinks, extra optional contests, wacky prizes, good folks -you will have a blast.

Ive been reading up on the Ace Races that are happening all around me and it got me thinking...

SHould I enter one? To make this more forum friendly, should a newer disc golfer enter one?

Im not the best and have yet to get anywhere close to an ace, but it looks like its a fun day. and for the small entry fee there seems to be some good perks. in addition to the perks, i would imagine there are quite a few seasoned players there that can lend some knowledge to the newer guys?

so, what say you? leave it up to the seasoned throwers or take a shot and try to make some new friends and get some fresh knowledge?

It is a very good tournament for beginners. Lots of fun and with the players pack being so nice, everyone wins.

Most Ace Race TDs shorten the holes to increase the odds of getting an Ace. The grand prize winner of my Ace Race this year was a beginner who had never played disc golf before.

Ace Races are perfect for beginners. You don't have to worry about all the intricacies of the rulebook, it doesn't take hours to finish a round, and it's just plain fun.

I agree with what everyone else said. I played last year after only a couple months playing DG, and I had a great time. You see a bunch of different skill levels, and even if you have no chance of winning, you might get a lucky ace!

That one of the big things about the ace race is new players. The holes are shorter usually under 200ft. It's a fairway driver a.slower disc. Just got finished my 2nd round had a blast. Had a bunch of good runs at the basket. No metal or aces but one of the best days of golf.

I am TDing an Ace Race next month. The reason I am doing it instead of a "real" tournament is because I want to get some new players out.

Latest posts