• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ace Races: Legacy vs. Discraft

wkelly42

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I can only play one -- both are the same day, one is an hour north of me and the other is an hour and a half east. The one farther away is on a course I've never played (so a plus there). One is Discraft, and the other is Legacy.

Which offers the better experience?

new course wins every time! They are all test run discs so its more about the experience. Unless the course you've played before is amazing, I'd say play the new one and have some fun.

It probably depends more on the TD then the company. Ace races are meant to be set up with shortened holes that even first timers have a shot at making, but some TDs still put up 200+ feet holes.

Really the discs don't matter that much so go with the course or with people you know.

Does anybody throw Legacy discs? o_O

Not trolling, I just have never seen their discs on the course. Do they have a comparable player pack to Discraft's?

Does anybody throw Legacy discs? o_O

Not trolling, I just have never seen their discs on the course. Do they have a comparable player pack to Discraft's?

I see some Legacy here, but from what I understand, its main market is mostly on the west coast.

i wasnt aware that legacy even offered an ace race

We ran a Legacy Ace Run last year. The deal then was that you were throwing discs that were already in production, although they encourage that the TD use the newest one on the market. Things might have changed.

Call or contact the TD and see what the package is. Discraft obviously has more clout and in general provide better prizes and experience, but a smaller company like Legacy may go above and beyond to get your attention.

We ran a Legacy Ace Run last year. The deal then was that you were throwing discs that were already in production, although they encourage that the TD use the newest one on the market. Things might have changed.

Call or contact the TD and see what the package is. Discraft obviously has more clout and in general provide better prizes and experience, but a smaller company like Legacy may go above and beyond to get your attention.

who's we

I see some Legacy here, but from what I understand, its main market is mostly on the west coast.

i see a fair amount of legacy around here too. helps that Terry and Legacy are joined up now. rivals and cannons are common.

i wasnt aware that legacy even offered an ace race
They don't. They offered (past tense) an Ace Run. They changed the name of their events to 'Battle of the Aces' this year.

http://www.legacydiscs.com/battleoftheaces/

I don't know if Discraft sent them some legal intimidation (as Ace Race is a registered trademark) or they just decided on their own to pick a name that sounded more original.

2014_pp_lg-e1407070626198.jpg

vs.
playerpackagebb-e1407070604168.jpg

New

Yeah, I'd have to go Legacy as well just to try out their discs (zero in the bag now). It's kind of the point of these events.

If you are comparing value of players packs, I think Discraft is the clear cut winner. The hat is a high quality hat and the towels were much better than expected (in the promotional picture above, it is folded in quarters - very big towel). Plus, Discraft is $25 versus the Legacy $30. The Legacy dri-fit is the cheap A4 brand, and I personally don't wear mine much. I will give the edge to Legacy in the actual discs. The Bandit and Ace Race Disc are both understable distance drivers and would probably take the same slot in your bag, but I think most of the players from my group who played both events would bag the Bandit over the Ace Race disc (this could change based on the fact that we just got the Ace Race disc and most of the holes we played during the Ace Race were too short to get the disc up to full power).

But as to your specific question as to which event would be a better experience, I think that would be based on the non-manufacture inputs like TD, course, draw of players, etc.... If it was me, I would base my decision on those factors, not the players pack.

Last edited:
I'd go legacy just to get both those discs

Im with you on that one.
I signed up for the Monroe OH Discraft AR in 2 weeks. Going to have to check out if any Legacy events are in the area. Discraft ARs tend to attract some advanced players around these parts. Cant say about Legacy…except the player package looks exceptional. I've seen a few people tossing the Icon and Cannon around these here.

Many Discraft Ace Races have been run before. TD's, park logistics, registration snafu's worked out....I don't know if this is true of the Legacy gig. Ace Race is all about the fun. A fun crowd, a fun TD and an effort to cater to everybody. The player pack, discs, award are all much better for the Discraft Ace Race, IMO. But, as other have said here, Legacy is not really popular here.

Legacy for sure, that's how i got myself into legacy in the first place.

The winners package is amazing.. every disc that legacy makes, fitted hat, car logo, quality rag and a lanyard that's like $200 worth of stuff

http://www.legacydiscs.com/battleoftheaces/

should have made a poll for this thread.

Last edited:

Latest posts