• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ace Runs

Triton

Don't you hate it when you have a great ace run that goes directly into the chains and then it gets spit back out? Happened to me last night at my local doubles league. Got to hole 10, which is a 385 foot slightly uphill shot, and put my new 170 star A/J Destroyer (less stable for a destroyer) on a big hyzer line and it crashed directly into the chains. It stuck in for maybe a half second and we started to celebrate, but the chains were moving violently and decided to spit the disc out and sadly it fluttered to the ground. It was still a great shot though and I definitely won't soon forget that one.

That has happened to many me included. I am glad about those shots because it was a reasonably good shot that gives a good result. I'm not ace oriented but skill oriented. Skills improve scores all the time flukes rarely. Having aces i have that chip off my shoulder and i don't chase stats so having IIRC around 10 aces is enough to keep that monkey off of my back. I've had more metal that hasn't counted than aces. No aces last year and 4 metal hits. The good kind staying in putting range if the hadn't hit the metal. Like Blake wrote the better you get the more the aces come from missed up overpowered throws. Accounting for skipping you gotta throw flat shots short to park under the bucket. Throwing steep hyzers or stalling shots can have you running aces and being within confident putting distance with a normal missing metal drives when you are a decent putter.

Metal is always nice to have and aces are a nice bonus but one needs to measure scores not skills to get better or was it vice versa you decide? :-D Don't worry aces will come in time. Just look at your avatar :)

I definitely agree with you. Since aces account for less than 1% of drives, they aren't as practical to achieve as putting the disc within a 10 meter radius. I consider an ace as just a very nice bonus shot and something to brag to friends about, but they don't happen frequently enough to be used as a practical skill in lowering scores. I always tend to play to get the disc parked under the basket, so I rarely will blow by the basket on a drive to give it a chance to go in, which is probably why I have 1 ace instead of potentially more. It just makes more sense to me to get better at a shot where there is a much larger radius to land in, giving a much higher percentage of making, instead of going for a shot that has a very small chance of going in and a larger risk of taking extra shots. I definitely end up short most of the time and rarely go long, so I would consider myself as more of a conservative player than normal.

Latest posts