• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Aces: Hyzers Vs Straight Shots

Rhyno Ace was slight hyzer.
Comet Ace was very straight.
Monarch Ace was big anny.
Surge [object] Ace was big hyzer.

My one (& only) Ace was a BH anny shot (held anny all the way, never finished out). My other 'spit-out' was on a anny line too!
I've seen a couple flick aces. No straight or hyzer for me!

1st - (hyzer) Forehand hyzer skip shot into a blind basket
2nd - (straight) Forehand hyzer flip, went into the chains straight on after a small right to left around a tree
3rd - (hyzer) Backhand mellow hyzer
4th - (straight) Small backhand turnover shot, straight into chains
5th - (hyzer) I'll say hyzer but it's weird. the shot was an backhand anhyzer that stalled out at just the right time to fall into the basket. Literally fall.
6th - (Straight) Backhand right at it with a buzzz
7th - (hyzer) Forehand hyzerflip, s'd out and faded into the basket.

That's really weird, back and forth between hyzer and straight. I guess my next one will be straight. Or maybe I need to get an anhyzer ace.

4 hyzers, 3 straight.

I was watching quite a few Ace videos on Youtube the other day, and it seemed that almost 70% of the aces were on a hyzer line, vs straight shots.
I'm curious how many of them were skippers.

My first one was a straight shot that got lucky. The second one left my hand straight but faded abruptly before it disappeared behind a bush. I honestly thought I had missed badly. One second later...ching. It probably would have looked like a hyzer if you had a video camera on the other end.

Haven't had one yet but I've seen about 4 in the group I play with. All "dead straight balls" right into the chains. '

IMO when the hole allows you to throw flat and straight. You should probably through flat and straight. Straight line is always the shortest distance to the hole.

Here's an example...Hole 12 Leverich Park DGC Vancouver,WA...204'

46691277.jpg

Basket is right in front of the tree if you can't see it. I'd say 80% of the throws on this hole are huge hyzers from people with big run-ups throwing fast drivers. I think that's silly when I walk up casually and park it from a standstill on a lazer beam putter drive.

3 of Mine have now been hyzers, with the latest just a slight hyzer with a mega skip at the end. About 6 weeks ago I nailed a slight Anhyzer Ace with a Spider. That was a good feeling... I'm almost always going Hyzer on an Ace run but this hole had trees on the left and the basket was slight right. Hyzer is without a doubt the most predictable shot in my opinion, as it goes in a straight line. I think I heard Avery say this at one point too.

I'd say 80% of the throws on this hole are huge hyzers from people with big run-ups throwing fast drivers. I think that's silly when I walk up casually and park it from a standstill on a lazer beam putter drive.

It looks like there is a parking lot/road directly behind the basket. If we had a hole like that around here, the parking lot would be played as out of bounds for league or tournament play.

That is probably why most people throw a hyzer. When you throw the lazer straight at the basket and miss long, it would be OB. When you take the hyzer route, the disc has a better chance of landing in bounds and close to the basket if the proper amount of power is used.

It looks like there is a parking lot/road directly behind the basket. If we had a hole like that around here, the parking lot would be played as out of bounds for league or tournament play.

That is probably why most people throw a hyzer. When you throw the lazer straight at the basket and miss long, it would be OB. When you take the hyzer route, the disc has a better chance of landing in bounds and close to the basket if the proper amount of power is used.

I was thinking the same thing , when I saw that hole. If you have nothing behind it to stop it, you are better off throwing a big hyzer.

I was watching quite a few Ace videos on Youtube the other day, and it seemed that almost 70% of the aces were on a hyzer line, vs straight shots. My one and only ace was also on a spike hyzer. Has anyone else noticed that, or does it really not matter? If you are going for an Ace, should you try to throw a hyzer, if the shot is possiable?

Hyzer is going to stick to the chains better and have a larger area on the basket that it will fit into the window of opportunity.

Of my 5 aces.

2 were hyzer all the way.

2 were hyzer with skip ins.

1 was thrown flat on a turnover that was still turning right when it met the chains.

I believe your theory somewhat.

Like 25-30 aces. I think 27, but I'd have to check DGScene... And I'll say most of them are straight line shots - because most of them are wooded tunnel shots. But if you're looking to make ace runs, and you're asking because you want to know how to get the best ace runs out of your shots - stick with big spikey hyzers. They're the most likely to give you an ace run AND keep you near the basket for a short putt. If a straight line shot has any chance at going in, it needs to be blowing past the basket if it doesn't connect. You want the disc finishing its flight at the chains.

of my aces

8/22/09 upper sandusky, oh #18 (171 ft) champ beast backhand hyzer
9/9/09 findlay, oh firestein park #7 (212 ft) champ beast forehand hyzer
9/10/09 findlay, oh riverbend #3 (229 ft) champ beast backhand hyzer
4/25/10 upper sandusky, oh #1 (264 ft) z xpress backhand straight
5/16/10 findlay, oh firestein #2 (262 ft) z stalker backhand hyzer
5/29/10 findlay, oh riverbend #5 (198 ft) z buzzz backhand hyzer
8/17/10 springfield, oh buck creek #1 (179 ft) z avenger forehand anhyzer
9/25/10 findlay, oh riverbend #5 (198 ft) x challenger backhand hyzer
9/25/10 findlay, oh riverbend #16 (244 ft) z buzzz backhand straight that hit a tree and went in

I think the hyzer shot is the way to go if your going for aces.

Both of my aces were on the same hole. One was a straight shot the other was a hyzer. The only difference i noted was that on 2 occasions my straight shot hit through the chains and into the pole, making them bounce out. I figured its cause with the hyzer you have the downward motion as well.

ChrisWoj makes a good point. Hyzers give you a chance at the ace and birdie. Straight line shot that has any chance to go in will go a good ways past the basket.

Although, on a wide open hole all things equal, I think your best chance for an ace would be straight at it. Just my opinion.

Latest posts