• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Actual disc weight over weight written on disc

SeveN

Birdie Member
So I understand max weight for smaller diameter discs (putter, drivers) are 175g, and for the mid-ranges its 180g. I recently bought a champ Roc3 that was supposed to be 180g max weight. However when I went to weigh it myself, it was 182g.

My scale isn't the most accurate, so it may have just been 181.5 and it rounded up. However I'm curious what the rules are that in a tournament. Presumably, since Innova made this disc, it should be PDGA legal (weight-wise). But I've also never had to weigh my disc for a tournament. I certainly wouldn't want to be doing the wrong thing.

How often does this happen? I am guessing Innova and other disc companies weigh more than one disc at a time, which is why there can be differences in actual and theoretical weight. Does that mean a lot of these discs aren't "tournament-legal"?

most discs don't weigh what they say I've come to found out. Many are rounded up or down incorrectly as well.

Luckily its not a big "issue" in regards to tournament play or being policed at all. I wouldn't worry about it'

There's a scale at the local shop and out of curiosity I've weighed lots of discs over the years. It seems rare to find one actually weigh what it claims.

I think there is a 3 gram tolerance. Anything that weighs between 180 and 183 grams are labeled 180 and sold.

Max weight for a Roc is 180.1g. So if you trust your scale, then that disc is technically illegal for tournament play.

That's a rule that will have to be self-enforced though. No TD will weigh your discs to ensure compliance with the tech standards.

It's also worth noting that there are probably a lot of players throwing slightly overweight discs in competition without even knowing it.

Marshall Street sells discs that they've weighed. When I left Disc Nation they were weighing most everything, but not sure if they've made it to 100% to start advertising it. (it does show on the sticker whether it's been hand-weighed or not, and lots of people just add a note to the order: "please weigh it to confirm, and call me to switch prefs if you don't have the specified weight")

It's been too long since I did grunt work like weighing inventory to remember which brands are better at it than others. Very common for things to not be correct though. Even Discraft's range-based stickers can be off.

Where is that written?

It's written nowhere, and there's no tolerance. It is a spec that just isn't enforced.

Marshall Street sells discs that they've weighed. When I left Disc Nation they were weighing most everything, but not sure if they've made it to 100% to start advertising it. (it does show on the sticker whether it's been hand-weighed or not, and lots of people just add a note to the order: "please weigh it to confirm, and call me to switch prefs if you don't have the specified weight")

It's been too long since I did grunt work like weighing inventory to remember which brands are better at it than others. Very common for things to not be correct though. Even Discraft's range-based stickers can be off.

What kind of scale does/did DN use? I remember Gateway using a triple beam in their molding video.

Last edited:
What kind of scale does/did DN use? I think I remember seeing Gateway using a triple beam in their molding video.
Some of the standard digitals like you see with most disc golfers, and some mildly hardcore units with a data feed to the receiving software.

I think there is a 3 gram tolerance. Anything that weighs between 180 and 183 grams are labeled 180 and sold.

True, that's how discraft can get away with being so vague with there weights on there stickers... ie 170-172 sticker weight for example

But yeah, negligible. It is what it is.

Some of the standard digitals like you see with most disc golfers, and some mildly hardcore units with a data feed to the receiving software.

Gracias.

I hate DN's stickers (one in five don't come of clean), but I love the site(s).

Most all my Innova discs have been 2 grams heavier than advertised, other brands are usually 1-2 grams heavier as well.

I got an ESP FLX Drone stickered at 177+ that ended up weighing 182, possibly closer to 183. I got it partially because it was so beefy and somewhat of a curiosity. It is one of my favorite discs, though :D

Gracias.

I hate DN's stickers (one in five don't come of clean), but I love the site(s).
I hate stickers too. I solved that one, in theory, so if you see a change (years) down the line... chances are it's a branch of my solution! :hfive:

If you completely cover a sticker (or former sticker) area with packing tape, then quickly rip it up, you'll usually get all the sticker residue and paper left behind. We once re-stickered the entire inventory, so I feel your pain x 100000.

After one of our tournaments, we have a hole in one challenge with a $5000 payout. The insurance for the payout required that discs be within legal weight. My ESP Drone and Champ Roc3 were overweight (both 182g). Lots of other discs were illegal do to excess weight. It's pretty darn common.

The spec is no more than 8.3 grams per centimeter of diameter. But not to exceed 200 grams even for the bigger diameter discs

After one of our tournaments, we have a hole in one challenge with a $5000 payout. The insurance for the payout required that discs be within legal weight. My ESP Drone and Champ Roc3 were overweight (both 182g). Lots of other discs were illegal do to excess weight. It's pretty darn common.

This is the first story I've ever heard of where discs were weighed in a tournament. Did they give you this rumored 3g tolerance?

Justin @ community discs weighs every disc. If the factory weight is off, he places a sticker over it with the actual weight.

Latest posts