• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Actual disc weight over weight written on disc

Funny that people weighing discs over a multitude of scales/types/brands get different results. Most scales are +/- something accuarcy anyway. You also need actual properly weighted weights to calibrate a digital scale to get in that +/- ballpark too.

Is ther a "master" scale somewhere in the world they compare to? Do all manufactures use the same brand/type scale for their calimed weights? Not.

Threfore accuarcy is accurate to what?

LOL at people with zero clue what they are talking about with a scale...

you can find weights of many things which are standard and make sure your scale is on point.

Its not magical nor do you need a magic scale.

Fairly easy to tell if a scale is calibrated. A nickel weighs 5 grams and all bills (clean) weigh 1 gram....at least that's the best I can recall.....

;)

There's a +/- 2.5g tolerance because as it turns out, plastic absorbs water and can actually become heavier than when they weighed it at the plant. I can't find the actual notation of it but this has been discussed before both here and on DGR.

There's a +/- 2.5g tolerance because as it turns out, plastic absorbs water and can actually become heavier than when they weighed it at the plant. I can't find the actual notation of it but this has been discussed before both here and on DGR.

You can't find it because it's a made up rule that gets brought up every time this discussion comes around. There's no tolerance at all, but there's also no enforcement outside of major tournaments in Japan. It's also very unclear whether the PDGA actually wants players trying to enforce that since it's in the tech specs for manufacturers not in the rule book or competition manual.

Unless your scale has been calibrated, I wouldn't put too much stock into the weights you are seeing.

Yeah, I sure wouldn't trust the scale that I used at the local disc golf shop whose only purpose in life is to weigh discs. Nope, sure wouldn't trust that scale at all.

You can't find it because it's a made up rule that gets brought up every time this discussion comes around. There's no tolerance at all, but there's also no enforcement outside of major tournaments in Japan. It's also very unclear whether the PDGA actually wants players trying to enforce that since it's in the tech specs for manufacturers not in the rule book or competition manual.

It is in the rulebook.

801.02A - Discs used in play must meet all of the conditions set forth in the PDGA Technical Standards.

It is in the rulebook.

801.02A - Discs used in play must meet all of the conditions set forth in the PDGA Technical Standards.

Good point, but I still haven't seen any kind of ruling from the PDGA that they want players out weighing discs or making calls based on hand written numbers that are rarely exact. That says to me that they just don't think it's a big problem, nobody's getting an advantage by throwing a 182g roc.

Good point, but I still haven't seen any kind of ruling from the PDGA that they want players out weighing discs or making calls based on hand written numbers that are rarely exact. That says to me that they just don't think it's a big problem, nobody's getting an advantage by throwing a 182g roc.

What sort of ruling are you looking for? The rulebook clearly gives players an opportunity to question the legality of discs.

If someone on a card with the OP says "I heard you're throwing an overweight Roc, I'm questioning every Roc in your bag," the TD then has to make an official ruling on the legality of each one in order for them to be considered legal.

What sort of ruling are you looking for? The rulebook clearly gives players an opportunity to question the legality of discs.

If someone on a card with the OP says "I heard you're throwing an overweight Roc, I'm questioning every Roc in your bag," the TD then has to make an official ruling on the legality of each one in order for them to be considered legal.

Sure, and how is that going to happen? Is it in the sanctioning agreement that every TD will have correctly calibrated scales? Do they go by the written weight (because it's so difficult to rub that off and write in a legal weight)? I'm not arguing that technically you could argue that every player should be checking the weight of every other player's discs. I'm arguing that practically that's stupid and impractical, and the PDGA hasn't come out and supported that interpretation. You want to go around with a scale weighing people's discs, go for it, I just think that's not really what the rule is intended.

Sure, and how is that going to happen? Is it in the sanctioning agreement that every TD will have correctly calibrated scales? Do they go by the written weight (because it's so difficult to rub that off and write in a legal weight)? I'm not arguing that technically you could argue that every player should be checking the weight of every other player's discs. I'm arguing that practically that's stupid and impractical, and the PDGA hasn't come out and supported that interpretation. You want to go around with a scale weighing people's discs, go for it, I just think that's not really what the rule is intended.

That's where the rulebook is vague. It simply says that any questioned disc is illegal unless approved by the TD. It never specifies what the TD has to do in order to approve a disc. The TD could simply say "Quit being petty, I don't care if his disc is overweight by a gram or two" and it's now approved.

That's where the rulebook is vague. It simply says that any questioned disc is illegal unless approved by the TD. It never specifies what the TD has to do in order to approve a disc. The TD could simply say "Quit being petty, I don't care if his disc is overweight by a gram or two" and it's now approved.

Sounds like a solution we can both agree on. :p

I would have a hard time forcing someone to weigh their discs. I'm not going to worry about a fluke run of overweight discs as long as no modifications are made after sale. Like Mash said a couple of grams isn't going to turn a Joe to Pro.