• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Aerobie Epic. Thoughts?

numbernine

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I thought about picking one of these things up. if for nothing else, it looks like it might be fun to throw on the occasional wide open hole where I have enough room overhead to huck one through the roof.

Anyone else own one? is it worth the cash to even own, or is it totally useless?

Sorry if this has been posted before. I searched and came up with nothing.

1.7% of overhand throwers swear by it. 98.3% of overhand throwers (and ~100% on non-overhand throwers) think it is a piece of fecal matter. You must decide for yourself whether it is "worth the cash", given the testimonial evidence.

1.7% of overhand throwers swear by it. 98.3% of overhand throwers (and ~100% on non-overhand throwers) think it is a piece of fecal matter. You must decide for yourself whether it is "worth the cash", given the testimonial evidence.

Language sir.
we're trying to run a civil site here. :)

and thanks.
That's what I had heard anecdotally too, but I don't know anyone who has throw one personally.

I've thrown one, and its ok for OH; but you can get the same if not better results OH with a Flick and have something even more usefull in other throws.

TBH I never bothered throwing it back hand or forehand. There was a guy who swore by it forehand though; but I think he might have been high.

If your interested enough; usually there are some for trade as people try them out. If nothing else; it makes for an interesting conversation as most people tend to have a very strong opinion about the legality of it.

My brother loves it. He used to putt with it and made like 3 50 foot putts in a row and can throw it like 350. But he's special so I don't know.

I can throw my epic to dbl barrel roll then flatten out and finish on a more horizontal plane, like a rhbh slight hyzer finishes . I can not get my flick to flatten out for the extra D. However this disc is so sparatic, i'll throw it in a field and only get it to flatten out half the time. I've gotten my longest throw with it 475. But i threw it twice in a tourney a couple months ago and it sailed OB:wall:. I have neglected it since:|, maybe i'll throw it some more this weekend. To me worth the $8 to mess around with, but hasn't become a staple for my bag nor do i think it will.

It is a disc that requires some tuning. If you don't take the time to tune it, then you will hate it... but because you can tune it, it will personalized to your throw. I can RHBH it for a distance, some decent turn, and then a heavy fade, skip, and hop.

It all about getting it outside and finding how it flies for you.

Do not waste the money. If you already bought one, I would say throw it in the closest body of water, but it floats. so i suggest burning it.

It's rim is variable thickness so it wobbles around like a wheel on the Sanford and Son pickup...and that is the nicest thing I can say about it.

Epic=Squashed turd

Last edited:
epic -
one trick pony.(for me)

for me, if it's an overhand shot within my range (225') i can throw it like a baseball with almost pinpoint accuracy.

having said that...
for me, i hardly need an overhand shot. as a result i really cant find a purpose for adding another disc in my bag. and
i'm not an epic master... i've never figured out how to get it to flip upside down or get the super epic roller...

i can say, most of the competative overhand dominant throwers i've played with swear by it.

For $8 it would be a fun experiment.... if it works for you, then its great... if not.. then you've got a great disc to use when you flip for doubles.

I got one as a gift from a Non-disc golfing dad who went to the local shop (Shameless plug for DTW) like 5 years ago and asked "Whats the newest hottest disc you have".... I've thrown in like 3 or 4 times and didn't like it. Never tried it overhand though but I know a guy that can throw it 400 ft. Overhand. To each his own I guess.

I want to get one of these things just to see how horrible it is...sounds like a fun hour or so of laughing at it's awkwardness -or- if I'm in the 1.7% of peeps who actually can throw one, to actually have a good OH disc.

I got one from bikinjack. I think he was just happy to get it out of the shop so know one would see it. Probably lowered the property value.

I have tinkered with it a few times. I can get it to do a cool barrel roll and sail OK. I just don't have the control of it I do with a Firebird, Banshee or Striker with my thumber. I also have a tough time getting a comfortable grip on the funky inner rim. My initial impression is that I can't get enough extra distance with it to make it worth the risk. But I really haven't thrown it enough to totally rule it out yet. Maybe I'll huck it this weekend again. Playing an open course so it would be a good place to make a few extra throws.