• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

AHHHH LEAGUE PLAYERS!

Not another ignorant thread about league players :doh: There's cocky, stuck up & stupid people in every part of life so just grow up & deal with it instead of complaining about it on a forum.
I love how you illustrated your point in the same post. Well played!

I love how you illustrated your point in the same post. Well played!
Geist%20Glare%20at%20Halperin%202.JPG

3rdgv8.jpg

there's this really awesome site www.dgcoursereview.com where you can look up other courses to go play on the night they do dubs. you just go on there and there's a map you can check out and find other courses near you, it's super. there's also a forum you can get on and complain about things.

watch out for new013, dude is a dick sometimes.

:clap::thmbup:

It's league night!!! That means fairly packed course and playing through would be pointless. Come another time or join up. I think a hard look in the mirror is in order before calling those dedicated to keeping the course in good shape douches.

More than likely these are the folks meeting early on Sunday or Saturday morning trimming trees, sinking in new pin placements, and taking care of the poison ivy and yellow jacket nests for you.

Sorry... but I think back to all my years of playing ball golf leagues and I don't recall anyone playing that night that wasn't in the league. Don't see why disc golf should be any different.

Oh... and we did let a solo join our card of 3 this week in league to be nice. Course was packed with cards of three and losing daylight quickly. No way he could play through. Only way you could even get on the course is because of the long walk between 18 and 1... so I guess he snuck in there.

Its public land.

Most leagues dont rent. And any league Ive ever shown up at/been a part if/been invited to are full or people like are posting in this thread. Very dedicated, but also very holier than thou. Deal with it or play elsewheren because its never gonna change.

I too hate league players, so I don't go in league nights easy enough. I'm sure individually they are cool, but together leagues can be stand off ish.

Even at my local shop when the league is getting their cards etc. total d bags. All of them. Have Tuesdays ill take the other six days and a different course.

instead of playing through, ever consider skipping ahead of them? if your answer is "there's another group in front of them" i suggest joining the league... sounds like they got a good thing going. ;)

After my long post in another forum, I should probably keep my mouth shut. But I think that league night should probably be avoided by anyone not playing in that league. It's unfortunate as it limits your options but it really seems disruptive to what is already a busy scenario. I don't play leagues so I just stay away on league nights. It would be disappointing if I had traveled a long way to get there. And if the local course starts having events every night that would get annoying as well. BUt I just find another course to play (I hope there are others nearby) and just avoid the confusion.

as a club events director, it's very frustrating to hear people feel alienated from joining a league. its kinda like when i was 7 and afraid of roller coasters, and all my friends would go ride without me while i sat with my grandma feeding pigeons cold french fries. Then one day i got the courage to ride one and i had the most fun i ever had and became addicted to riding roller coasters.

My thoughts:

Skip a few holes and quit whining

Be glad someone organizes things to raise money for the course you play for freeand quit whining

Play somewhere else and quit whining

Consider joining the league night for a change of pace/possible fun and quit whining

Get there earlier and quit whining

Play a sport where whining is appreciated oh and quit whining

My thoughts:

Be glad someone organizes things to raise money for the course you play for freeand quit whining

Consider joining the league night for a change of pace/possible fun and quit whining

i have not joined a league yet but fully plan to next season. i have been invited to come to the local legue night and either A. join in or B. if not comfortable joining in following a card to see what it is all about. The event director understands my hesitancy at not being "good enough"(my thoughts not his), and told me to feel free to come watch. He thinks i will change my mind after. He has also told me to feel free to come to the course on league night and play but expect a slow round, which i would. Have not been discouraged by league players at all. Also i agree with everything said in what i quoted.

Another option is to see what the tag options are. Its a good way to get involved with the club and get to know people. Get a tag, play with a few guys for tags and get to know them on a personal level. That way it alleviates most of the awakwardness of being the new guy on league nights. Plus tags are awesome.

Most leagues seem douchey at first because they have a distaste for chuckers or those unwilling to help out the course/club. Spending the ten bucks on a tag really opens up some doors. Plus playing for tags is inherently more relaxed as it can be done with as little as three tagholders playing a casual round.

BUT...and this is a big but....

Some clubs do need to realize that they dont own the land. Most players do not even realize there is things like clubs and work days. So getting mad or standoffish is not the right answer. Luckily, every clubs membership director is the calm, knowledgeable and personable guy. Thats who you should seek out.

Respect - it goes both ways.

as a club events director, it's very frustrating to hear people feel alienated from joining a league. its kinda like when i was 7 and afraid of roller coasters, and all my friends would go ride without me while i sat with my grandma feeding pigeons cold french fries. Then one day i got the courage to ride one and i had the most fun i ever had and became addicted to riding roller coasters.

I like this analogy and it's right in the sense there is a plunge to be taken at some point if one wishes to participate, but I can see both sides. I've never been in a league myself, but I play often enough to have met many players who do. Awesome guys, really. Disc heads who have game and a lot of great stories, they take their time, make their shots and have etiquette ingrained. If they fail, they fail to recognize it's public and etiquette is learned. If they are unfriendly, its because they are too focused to step back and give the type of players that annoy them a fair shake.

The type of player that will annoy the focused golfer most is the one who is just there to huck plastic as an excuse to drink and chill. They come on with a case of beer, shirts off and a fresh tye dye speed 13 driver each and you KNOW you are going to be picking up their cans while putting up with every etiquette violation you can name.

And finally, in varying degrees there is the middle class disc golfer. Depending on your scope, it is more than its share of the middle third of golfers. Often, they respect the course, but not so much their game and thus probably play the most holes with their time than any other level of golfer. They would rather maintain a good pace, maximizing their limited available disc golf time, often taking a couple drives to test things all the while dodging both extremes of players on the way.

My advice to all is simply - respect. Be cognizant of all parties and their level of enjoyment. While there is a right way to keep disc golf on public land, there isn't a universal way to relax and enjoy. If a single wants to play through on league, let him, he's not going to take long. Otoh, if you're a single and know your courses well enough, avoid league night and be sure to understand that's how the guys at that stage of their game enjoy to play it. It's also their right to play with stools and flip through 16 discs for the right one because the wind just picked up. You would respect granny walking through it with her dog, it's her right too so extend that to people who play different. Mi Casa, Tu Casa. Only the city owns that shizz.

Last edited:
My thoughts:

tumblr_mrk0f8h0Wm1s7nhxgo7_r1_400.gif

My thoughts:

In all fairness. Have you read 95 percent of this forum? Disc golf apparently the perfect sport for whiners. :).

Now for my 2 cents. I have been on both ends. A dochey player can actually ruin the rep for a whole course/club especially to new players. Just like the guy who thinks all non-club members are chunkers there to drink, it makes newbs and causal players think all club members are that way.

BUT...and this is a big but....

Some clubs do need to realize that they dont own the land. Most players do not even realize there is things like clubs and work days. So getting mad or standoffish is not the right answer. Luckily, every clubs membership director is the calm, knowledgeable and personable guy. Thats who you should seek out.

Yes. Personally I hate the volunteer argument. It's a public park, and I probably pay more taxes than 90% of the league players. I'm not going to act like I own the place. I can get away for one or two rounds a week if I'm lucky. Sorry, but I'm not losing a Saturday morning with my kids to volunteer anywhere. I'm just not.

Yes. Personally I hate the volunteer argument. It's a public park, and I probably pay more taxes than 90% of the league players. I'm not going to act like I own the place. I can get away for one or two rounds a week if I'm lucky. Sorry, but I'm not losing a Saturday morning with my kids to volunteer anywhere. I'm just not.

Well, there's lots of ways to volunteer. That's why I suggest buying a club tag. It is money to and for the club. it ingratiates you into the local scene, and makes them realize you have passion for the sport. Many courses really rely on clubs to manage them, which I've always found odd but whatever.

One of the clubs in Colorado really put a bad taste in my mouth when I showed up for a work day and they told me to "just sweep the teepads." If I'm taking my personal time to help out on a course that sucks and I hate, simply because it's a club function and I want to support the organization, don't give me some meaningless task.

But luckily that doesn't happen often. I raised a complaint with a minor club officer, and the issue was dealt with, with no hard feelings either way. Despite some encounters, like I said in an earlier post, most club members are good folk. They just need to remember that they aren't the be-all and end-all of disc golf in that area. They are just a small percentage.

The one thing that does just floor me about disc golf though that is mentioned by the above quote is the use of stools.

I have used a camping stool for years. Not to sit on during the round but to put my bag on. It keeps the bag (and straps) out of the dirt, mud, snow, whatever. So when I toss the bag into the car after the round the car stays cleaner. I'm not much of a clean freak but a dirty bag transfers dirt to your clothes as well. Why put on a clean shirt if your straps are filthy?

A bag sitting on a stool, being elevated, is easier to use. It is easier to find stuff in. A stool is a hassle, it's one more thing to carry, so while a lot of players have tried stools not everyone finds them useful enough to justify the effort. I started with a stool one winter and could not give it up when warm weather came around.

Btw a 4 legged stool is much more stable than a 3 legged one. This matter when on a side hill or uneven ground.

Momokahn, being 52 yrs old, your back would notice the advantage of a stool if you tried one.

Latest posts