• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Alabama Open

Here is the pic. And what he and val said.

Avery

I think that everyone is missing the several, very obvious man-made objects within 30 of the basket. That doesn't stand out to anyone as not being a professional standard?? This hole is not very picturesque for a Disc Golf National Tour Event.

These are supposed to be the Best Events in our sport on the PDGA National Tour!!! If these courses continue to have utility boxes, telephone poles, wires and other such odd obstacles we will never make mainstream media. We have to start by taking this seriously if we expect others to take our sport seriously as well.

Val
its different story when its your job

What's different about the Memorial, or USDGC for that matter with cars driving by, baskets that are raised by railroad ties, or manmade yellow rope ob? Avery moans and moans and is just like that.
Sounds like he needs a good DDT from Jake the Snake.

Tough life their ole' Val throwing frisbees for a job. My old friend Dusty Rhoades once got a spike driven into his eye by the Road Warriors, that's how you make a real living.

Your awesome ric flair. You dated my friends wife back in the day. Wooooo!

These types of public posts by touring pros really eat away and undermine the effort of local TD's, clubs, and volunteers. TD's and volunteers across the country are doing everything they can to raise money and run a great events. Without these people Avery wouldn't be able to play this game for a living. Instead of publicly ripping events, courses, and TD's constantly it'd be nice if they could keep their comments to private constructive crticism to those that can make changes.

I saw the video with Climo and Schultz where Billy Crump asked them about the USDGC. They seemed to keep their opinions to themselves and said they'd be there to support their sponsor (Innova) but didn't say if the would play or not. Has Avery publicly ripped the USDGC and Innova about the format change? Every tournament is his sponsor.

If that was my event i'd ask him not to play.

Finally someone agrees with me. I have been telling the host club for years that there was something wrong with that hole. Those telephone poles and wires have got to go! How un-professional of them!!

We should have seen it coming. The club's plan was flawed from the beginning. It is so easy to see how they got off-track. They took a former dump site and talked the city into letting them install a 9 holer, and THEN (what dummies!) and THEN asked they asked the city for permission to install a full 18 on the un-used part of the park. (It gets worse -- be warned) And THEN, they spent years and years and dollars and dollars(of club/personal money) to improve the course. If they had just asked any of us --- we could have told them how wrong they were.

INSTEAD, they should have asked the city for the BEST piece of land and bought the BEST earth-moving equipment, and hired the BEST landscape crew!!

I have been telling them and telling them that their plan was wrong. (and so obviously un-professional) I feel better now that one of the traveling pros agrees with me. It would be an honor to shake his hand.

Thanks,
Ron

Finally someone agrees with me. I have been telling the host club for years that there was something wrong with that hole. Those telephone poles and wires have got to go! How un-professional of them!!

We should have seen it coming. The club's plan was flawed from the beginning. It is so easy to see how they got off-track. They took a former dump site and talked the city into letting them install a 9 holer, and THEN (what dummies!) and THEN asked they asked the city for permission to install a full 18 on the un-used part of the park. (It gets worse -- be warned) And THEN, they spent years and years and dollars and dollars(of club/personal money) to improve the course. If they had just asked any of us --- we could have told them how wrong they were.

INSTEAD, they should have asked the city for the BEST piece of land and bought the BEST earth-moving equipment, and hired the BEST landscape crew!!

I have been telling them and telling them that their plan was wrong. (and so obviously un-professional) I feel better now that one of the traveling pros agrees with me. It would be an honor to shake his hand.

Thanks,
Ron

The Avery I know is a very hard working person who has really inspired many in his local club (Delaveaga) to get out there and work on the course. He would absolutely not fault your club for dedicating the blood, sweat, and cash that it took to get the courses in the ground. In fact, the opposite is true.

His beef seems to be with the PDGA committee that awards NT events each year. He wants them to pick the absolute best the sport has to offer. He also seems frustrated with the current obsession with roped OBs on every hole and too many park roads. Maybe winthrop gold is fine once a year, but there's got to be courses in Alabama that have that natural beauty and challenge that would make Dave242 happy.

This is one of those Bama courses that would be a great place to have an NT if they got concrete pads down. It is an amazing course but the low score is based on the pads and tee signs.

The Avery I know is a very hard working person who has really inspired many in his local club (Delaveaga) to get out there and work on the course. He would absolutely not fault your club for dedicating the blood, sweat, and cash that it took to get the courses in the ground. In fact, the opposite is true.

His beef seems to be with the PDGA committee that awards NT events each year. He wants them to pick the absolute best the sport has to offer. He also seems frustrated with the current obsession with roped OBs on every hole and too many park roads. Maybe winthrop gold is fine once a year, but there's got to be courses in Alabama that have that natural beauty and challenge that would make Dave242 happy.

Thank You! Was going to say the same thing. These courses should be scrutinized. These aren't A tiers this are NTour events of which only a handfull are picked and should be given to the best of the best. I don't know much about the layout at this course but think what Avery is trying to convey is that the NT tours are the events that are going to be marketed to Media etc. They should be above and beyond, and I don't know Avery at all but I can see that he cares about the sport and has been hellbent on making it bigger since I've been involved with Disc Golf. Look at Beaver State Fling and Vibram Open both which are actually marketed and hell even I was trying to save money to play in Beaver State just to play? Really don't know anything about this course or this tournament but marketing is one of the hardest things to get your course and tourney in the populous and honestly for a NT tourney really wasn't out there, but then again if this TD would have tried to make a buck of this though he probably would have been flamed.

Unfortunately there are not a lot of clubs and TD's beating down the PDGA's door to run an NT. Currently it's take what we get. That is where this sport is. Until these guys get that concept down they need to help make changes with constructive criticism instead of public complaining. If they keep going like this they won't have events to play. Over the last couple of years there are 3 A-Tier events in Illinois that are not running this year due to issues with traveling pros. I know several larger B-Tier events in the midwest that do not want to move to an A-Tier just to keep these guys away. Instead of this being a fun weekend for TD's and volunteers it becomes a headache.

Unfortunately there are not a lot of clubs and TD's beating down the PDGA's door to run an NT. Currently it's take what we get..

I have no idea how many events ask or apply for NT status. I would like the chance to run a NT Event. I've already talked with our CVB and believe I could secure more than enough funds to cover the money part of the equation. Hard part is getting the club members to want to step up to run an event of this nature.

I've thought about running a non-sanctioned event with a large amount of added cash and simply use my contacts to promote.

This is one of those Bama courses that would be a great place to have an NT if they got concrete pads down. It is an amazing course but the low score is based on the pads and tee signs.

That's my home course! It's in bad shape right now due to a tornado. We just now got it playable again. There were downed trees everywhere and it was almost impossible to navigate. It really does need concrete pads but I still love it.

I wanted to go watch the pros in athens but had to work :(

09objects.jpg

Now that's comedy! :)

Frankly, I'm surprised a course rated less than 3.0 didn't get more complaints considering how many top pros attended. I've played that course and it's flat, wide open, and next to the interstate. The occasional road sign comes into play. There are lots of road OBs and you often have to wait for cars to drive by. And I'm sure the tournament configuration had tons of gold rope as well.

On the plus side, there's a creek throughout and it has the real estate to let the big arms fly. The course designers have maximized the land's potential -- it could be a much worse course.

That the PDGA allows an NT event there is a testament to how good a job the TD and local crew do, and that they can raise sufficient cash. Given the relatively poor attendance, I'm thinking the players should be glad for the shot at a four-digit paycheck. Unless someone makes friends with a big name sponsor soon, I'd expect less of these events, not more.

Just reading some reactions from some of my other friends, and they've let me know that this tourney was one heck of a good time, a great tour stop, and that they'd come again. So maybe AJ was simply not giving the place a chance....

Well, someone is trying to run tournaments (Athens AL) that attract the best players around instead of running a bunch of local crappy events over multiple years to raise money for the Women's USDGC tournament (Huntsville AL) while claiming they are the club that supports amateurs. Huntsville has much better courses but Athens has a much better club. Go figure.

These types of public posts by touring pros really eat away and undermine the effort of local TD's, clubs, and volunteers. TD's and volunteers across the country are doing everything they can to raise money and run a great events. Without these people Avery wouldn't be able to play this game for a living. Instead of publicly ripping events, courses, and TD's constantly it'd be nice if they could keep their comments to private constructive crticism to those that can make changes.

I saw the video with Climo and Schultz where Billy Crump asked them about the USDGC. They seemed to keep their opinions to themselves and said they'd be there to support their sponsor (Innova) but didn't say if the would play or not. Has Avery publicly ripped the USDGC and Innova about the format change? Every tournament is his sponsor.

If that was my event i'd ask him not to play.

Ok everything I said before I now take back. Man, I would rather see local classy pros vs most touring pros anyday. Just disappointment is not the word for some of the things I saw. Understand why more TD's are saying f the A tiers and NT.

1000% agreement with #19325 now! :wall:

Latest posts