• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Albatross at The Gentlemen's Classic!

Here's a terrible screen grab of the hole.

NEbsGXCl.png

Based on that and some quick measurements in Google Earth, it looks like the straight-line shot is closer to 700 ft. The 769 ft measurement must bend around the water hazards.

From the video, I'd guess his first drive was around 450 ft and the hole shot was around 250. Plus a bit if you assume he wasn't dead on line the entire time.

I've played many rounds with JC. His thumber is the most amazing shot I've seen anyone throw. Not only can he throw it a mile, he is amazingly accurate with it. And a great guy too. Good to see a good dude getting some pub. And yes, he throws Crystal Nuke OS.

I've played many rounds with JC. His thumber is the most amazing shot I've seen anyone throw. Not only can he throw it a mile, he is amazingly accurate with it. And a great guy too. Good to see a good dude getting some pub. And yes, he throws Crystal Nuke OS.

I was going to post earlier that I have a friend who can thumber at least that far, maybe farther, but has zero control. It could end up 300 feet to the right of the basket for all he knows.

Thats what makes the ace and the albatross so damn impressive...his control at that distance is UNREAL

Not get off topic and the thread jack..... also not to detract from the golfer who made a exceptional shot. But looking at the shape of the hole, the distance and the lay of the land in the video i would have made it a par4. Par is drive + 2putts so 2 drives to get to the basket +2 putts =4. The downer has left the building!

Now that was still amazing... and it made my sholder hurt.

Not get off topic and the thread jack..... also not to detract from the golfer who made a exceptional shot. But looking at the shape of the hole, the distance and the lay of the land in the video i would have made it a par4. Par is drive + 2putts so 2 drives to get to the basket +2 putts =4. The downer has left the building!

Now that was still amazing... and it made my sholder hurt.

Thats probably fair. But there seems to be a ton of OB on that hole, which would realistically limit the number of 3's you could expect to see.

This is something that gets debated to death around here, who do you set par for? If you're setting par for the extremely minority of elite players that can reasonably expect to 3 a hole like that, that's fine. But its probably not a good par for everyone else. There isn't really a good answer to that question.

Now that was still amazing... and it made my shoulder hurt.

Looking at the shape of the hole, and the amount of OB, including both in front and behind the basket depending upon your shot to the green, and 769' total including the only way to get to the green in 2 is over the OB, I'd say it's a tweener -- between a par 4 and par 5. Therefore I would have called it a par 5. No guarantee to be to the green in 2 with all that OB. The guy who won the tournament 5'ed it.

Thats probably fair. But there seems to be a ton of OB on that hole, which would realistically limit the number of 3's you could expect to see.

This is something that gets debated to death around here, who do you set par for? If you're setting par for the extremely minority of elite players that can reasonably expect to 3 a hole like that, that's fine. But its probably not a good par for everyone else. There isn't really a good answer to that question.

Using the guidelines ... that's how I decide.

Looking at the shape of the hole, and the amount of OB, including both in front and behind the basket depending upon your shot to the green, and 769' total including the only way to get to the green in 2 is over the OB, I'd say it's a tweener -- between a par 4 and par 5. Therefore I would have called it a par 5. No guarantee to be to the green in 2 with all that OB. The guy who won the tournament 5'ed it.

Using the guidelines ... that's how I decide.

And 30% of the people on live scoring 3ed it. Definitely sounds like a par 4.

"As determined by the Director" trumps everything else. This is a par 5.

Please let's not turn this into a 'what is par' argument again and just enjoy the shot for what it was! Amazing! Regardless if it was for an albatross, par, or double bogey, the skill and talent it takes to make a shot like that is incredible! I'd put money on JC for having the best thumber shot on earth, for both distance and accuracy. I've seen him throw 500ft bombs and also carve the woods like Schweby does.

Having played that hole several times, 5 is generous. I bet if it was pro only weekend it might have gotten a 4. Tweener hole for sure. My only 5 was an OB penalty and I'm a 915 rated player.

400+ foot placement drive with water/ob everywhere, then a 350+ foot overhand dead center chains, in a big tournament with a gallery and people recording. Admirable

I would not hit that with a hundred tries. Totally awesome. Whatever the par is set at. Give props where it's due.

I am an 856 rated Grandmaster Woman and I got a drop-in 4 both rounds I played this hole (and in practice). Which means it was an easy Par 4!

Latest posts