• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Alcohol and PDGA Events

But it is professional to slam a 22 of highlife right before the two minute warning?

The question is: Why do you care what other people do? Especially if they're not on your card? Seems a lot like getting all fired up about welfare and drug tests or Presidential elections. Why sweat something you can't control?

But hey....free country. Spin up all ya want, brother.

The question is: Why do you care what other people do? Especially if they're not on your card? Seems a lot like getting all fired up about welfare and drug tests or Presidential elections. Why sweat something you can't control?

But hey....free country. Spin up all ya want, brother.

If you're saying you should be able to drink while playing, we're on the same page.

As already mentioned, it's nearly impossible to enforce a no drinking between rounds rule. There's too much gray area and frankly, such a rule is really not necessary.

Secondly, it's all about image. The PDGA doesn't want it's competitors to be seen downing booze while competing. I's the difference between being seen as a sport and a leisure activity. However, at tourney central, it's a much more social environment where nobody is still competing.

What gray area?

If the PDGA was truly worried about their image it would ban it all day. They are still competing for the day.

The TDs via PDGA sanctioning do not have any enforcement authority outside the actual competition and they're not deputized to administer local laws. In essence, you're asking the TDs, players and officials via PDGA sanctioning to monitor player behavior not just between rounds but any time they are not playing between the start of the first round to the end of the last round no matter where they are. As soon as you step off the course after the round, the parking lot or shelter on site are really no different than the local pub or hotel. They are not the field of play.

Does the insurance provided by the PDGA follow the same guideline?

I could care less if someone else is drinking between rounds or whatever. You can easily drink during a round if you just mix up a beverage in a different container. If you play better after a little I say go for it. If you get blasted and effect other competitors then it's over the line and DQ should result.

The TDs via PDGA sanctioning do not have any enforcement authority outside the actual competition and they're not deputized to administer local laws. In essence, you're asking the TDs, players and officials via PDGA sanctioning to monitor player behavior not just between rounds but any time they are not playing between the start of the first round to the end of the last round no matter where they are. As soon as you step off the course after the round, the parking lot or shelter on site are really no different than the local pub or hotel. They are not the field of play.

Your continued non-answers make me question as to whether the PDGA has gone over this or not. I'm guessing they have and are trying to let sleeping dogs lie.

Your continued non-answers make me question as to whether the PDGA has gone over this or not. I'm guessing they have and are trying to let sleeping dogs lie.

What wasn't answered? I think Chuck pretty well explained it.

It seems perfectly reasonable to me to regulate conduct during competition, but not regulate it, or regulate it differently, outside of competition.

It also seems reasonable to consider the period between rounds as being outside of competition, even on the course or even at the TD's location. I don't see a distinction between the period between rounds on the same day (lunch), and the period between rounds on different days (Saturday night). There are a lot of things that you can't do during a competition round, that you are free to do between rounds (practice throws, loud distractions, etc.).

I can't speak for the PDGA, but I imagine this is their reasoning.

The notion that a person could avoid drinking during the round, but get drunk at lunch and therefore reflect badly on the PDGA in the second round, is a red herring. Is this happening? Do we have to worry about it? If so, you could make the same argument about the morning before the tournament, or even the night before. Heck, I've seen some competitors in pretty bad shape on Sunday morning from their activities on Saturday night.

So presumably the PDGA has decided that the period of competition is the actual round, and there are different standards for conduct during them, as opposed to outside of them.

Works for me.

iNrtDWf.jpg

Either you're a troll, or just dense. I'll try to speak this plainly so that you can understand.

Once you've turned in your card, and until the 2 minute warning (hell, I'll even give you the player meeting if he has another before round 2), the TD has no jurisdiction whatsoever. Pop a top, crack a can, pack a bowl, blow your nose, shoot a vein, whatever. The only recourse he has is to call the cops if he sees you're doing something illegal. Period.

Unless you're so high/stoned/drunk that you're effecting your cardmates during the round, he has almost no way of knowing and no way to prove you've done anything wrong.

I get it. You don't think this is good enough. Why? Isn't it enough that our employers want to control what we do with our free time? Do you honestly want the PDGA to dictate what we can or cannot ingest during lunch? Sounds like the exact opposite of "free time".

Seriously, you're looking for a solution for something that isn't a problem.

It seems perfectly reasonable to me to regulate conduct during competition, but not regulate it, or regulate it differently, outside of competition.

It also seems reasonable to consider the period between rounds as being outside of competition, even on the course or even at the TD's location. I don't see a distinction between the period between rounds on the same day (lunch), and the period between rounds on different days (Saturday night). There are a lot of things that you can't do during a competition round, that you are free to do between rounds (practice throws, loud distractions, etc.).

I can't speak for the PDGA, but I imagine this is their reasoning.

The notion that a person could avoid drinking during the round, but get drunk at lunch and therefore reflect badly on the PDGA in the second round, is a red herring. Is this happening? Do we have to worry about it? If so, you could make the same argument about the morning before the tournament, or even the night before. Heck, I've seen some competitors in pretty bad shape on Sunday morning from their activities on Saturday night.

So presumably the PDGA has decided that the period of competition is the actual round, and there are different standards for conduct during them, as opposed to outside of them.

Works for me.

And drunk ass morons who got loaded at lunch get DQ'ed all the time either during or after the 2nd round for behavior during the competition.

If you're saying you should be able to drink while playing, we're on the same page.

Right on.....but that seems to contradict your OP:

So the current rules are:

*Excessive use of alcohol at the tournament site.

*Possession of alcohol from the start of play until the player's scorecard is submitted is not allowed. Such possession shall result in immediate disqualification at PDGA events sanctioned at B-Tier or higher. The Tournament Director may, at his sole discretion, elect to issue a warning to the offending player in lieu of disqualification solely at PDGA events sanctioned at C-tier and below. If a player has been previously issued a warning for alcohol possession at the same event, all subsequent violations shall result in immediate disqualification.

Why does the PDGA allow drinking in between rounds played the same day?

Obviously this wouldn't apply overnight, but at the few events I've played there is a significant amount of people drinking beers at Tourney HQ during the hour break between rounds. It seems relatively easy to modify the rule to reflect no alcohol until that day's final round is over.

What's the point of the rule if players can get blitzed headed into the second round? Why only ban *excessive* use?

Which brings me back to my original point: Why sweat something you can't control?

If you're okay with people drinking during play, it's pretty illogical for you to gripe about them drinking in between rounds.

I drink very little (if at all) during a tournament. Three beers max. That's what I choose for me because once I start drinking my game goes to $hit. Other people's mileage will undoubtedly vary because I've played with guys you can't or won't play without toting a cooler full of brewskis. Their choice. They think it improves their game. Now, I don't judge them because I can barely play my own game so far be it from me to tell someone else how to play theirs. However, I have yet to see someone who's shot lights out half-schnockered let alone gone full-retard on barley and hops.

So, if I'm competing against a guy who feels his BAC needs to be inversely proportional to his shots missed, I'll tell them "Bottoms up!" and grab them another beer. ;)

Latest posts