• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

All holes should be par 3!

I'm not trolling what ever that is? I Just thought it would be simpler if everything were par 3, and I wanted to get other peoples opinions. I think that's how I'm going to start playing on my local course. If you wanted a handicap you could mark a spot closer to the basket. Maybe it won't work, that's why I'm asking. Thanks.

I'm not trolling what ever that is? I Just thought it would be simpler if everything were par 3, and I wanted to get other peoples opinions. I think that's how I'm going to start playing on my local course. If you wanted a handicap you could mark a spot closer to the basket. Maybe it won't work, that's why I'm asking. Thanks.

What do you see as the purpose of par? Why have it at all?

I also have never looked into the "formula" that people use to figure par when they build a course? But I have played enough to see that there is a lot of discrepancy on some holes, especially pars 4 and 5.

Thanks for the great info Breakfast. The PDGA chart on figuring par helps a lot:thmbup:.

I also have never looked into the "formula" that people use to figure par when they build a course? But I have played enough to see that there is a lot of discrepancy on some holes, especially pars 4 and 5.

There is not a "formula" that is widely accepted, but there are guidelines that help design holes that fit certain player skill levels. Here is what is from the PDGA site:

attachment.php

What you have got to remember is that for the most part, DG does not have multiple tees in the same way that ball golf courses do. So, lot of times "course par" or "sign par" is set for the lowest skill level of player. If that is the case on your course, just visualize that those are the easiest set of tees on a BG course....and the longer ones are no-existent. How would a Pro score from the easiest tees on a BG course compared to the par listed on those?

Attachments

• PDGAPar.jpg
    PDGAPar.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 213
This chart doesn't consider elevation and doglegs. Remember than when assigning par as both of these greatly affect it.

and while this chart will say there should par 2's, I wouldn't ever advise calling a hole a par 2.

I'm not trolling what ever that is? I Just thought it would be simpler if everything were par 3, and I wanted to get other peoples opinions.
In other words, you want a simplified way to keep score when you're out during a casual round or with your buddies. Gotcha.

Scorekeeper's par and actual hole par are two different animals. That why the latter really can't be "simplified" if it's going to mean anything.

This chart doesn't consider elevation and doglegs. Remember than when assigning par as both of these greatly affect it.

and while this chart will say there should par 2's, I wouldn't ever advise calling a hole a par 2.

If you read at the bottom of the chart, it says "designing par 2 holes is not recommended. The lengths are shown as cautionary indicators that a hole is likely too short for that player level."

I'm not trolling what ever that is? I Just thought it would be simpler if everything were par 3, and I wanted to get other peoples opinions.
Then you render the word meaningless. Par means something. Disc golf has done a good job borrowing from golf except for this area. "Everything is a par 3" may be the dumbest line ever uttered by a human being.

Think about it, You get a Drive, Approach, and Putt that's it! If its a 800' hole and you have a monster arm you could probably par, if noodle arm, to bad you might pick up a bogey, that's the way it goes. I think it would simplify everything with the par issues! O.K. flame away I can take it.:)

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?id=2601&p=03b1a6de

I've three'd this hole once. Played it for 4 years now. Once. Sorry but unless you have a complete gun and two perfect 500ft worth of power drives you get no 3.
Enjoy your all 3's. But if we want disc to be a real sport then varying pars is a necessity.

Don't worry about it man. People are just giving you crap because this has been brought up many times before, and you'll find most players are against this "all par 3" idea. Also, trolling is when someone posts things on forums with the intention of angering others. They may or may not believe in what they're posting, all they care about is getting a negative reaction out of people in the thread. And I think it's pretty obvious you're not a troll. (Or a really really sneaky troll.)

Ehh. I think that's fair for the most part but at my home course. Its easier to birdie about 6 of the holes then to par one that is a par 4..

Latest posts