• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

All quiet on the western front

dgdave said:
Playing disc golf is fun. Talking about it isn't as fun.

Let's go throw.

Amen brother.

Didn't get a chance to play today, but when out on the practice field to test out the FDs vs Teebirds. FD's are very neutral with less fade than the Teebirds. Nice discs. If I wasn't so utterly devoted, I might consider switching. Right now I'm thinking of using the s-line FD as an in-between disc to compliment a champ Teebird and a River.

Also, on Saturday I was playing a round. Hole #2, 2nd shot, I break out my brand new Harp for a forehand hyzer approach about 175' on a tightly wooded fairway. I tried threading the needle but hit a close-by tree. The Harp, on it's first throw ever, tacoed. I was pretty bummed as it defnitely warped. By today it still retains the warp, but flies fairly well. That will teach me to throw soft plastic.

So many little adventures. Every day I learn something new. I love this sport.

JTdisc said:
dgdave said:
Playing disc golf is fun. Talking about it isn't as fun.

Let's go throw.

Amen brother.

Didn't get a chance to play today, but when out on the practice field to test out the FDs vs Teebirds. FD's are very neutral with less fade than the Teebirds. Nice discs. If I wasn't so utterly devoted, I might consider switching. Right now I'm thinking of using the s-line FD as an in-between disc to compliment a champ Teebird and a River.

Also, on Saturday I was playing a round. Hole #2, 2nd shot, I break out my brand new Harp for a forehand hyzer approach about 175' on a tightly wooded fairway. I tried threading the needle but hit a close-by tree. The Harp, on it's first throw ever, tacoed. I was pretty bummed as it defnitely warped. By today it still retains the warp, but flies fairly well. That will teach me to throw soft plastic.

So many little adventures. Every day I learn something new. I love this sport.

Yeah man you speak the truth. I've been playing for nearly 16 years and I'm still learning new stuff everyday. I love that I'm still able to gain distance too as I age. Maybe by the time I'm 40 I'll be able to hit 500ft. :D

How old are you Uncle? I am 33 and am still gaining incrementally each year. I don't know that my total distance goes up much, but my golf distance is approaching my max distance more and more, which I like. And then I read horror stories about popped tendons/ torn cuffs, ets. I will continue to eat it up for as long as possible. Throwing the ever loving crap out of something is a pretty damn good stress reliever as well.

KP

NoMoreTinCup said:
Throwing the ever loving crap out of something is a pretty damn good stress reliever as well.

KP

This is very true, I use to throw during my lunch breaks just about every day. I transferred to downtown MKE and can't do that anymore. sad face

DGR in da house. Or was. Apparently smigles is sensitive to snoring so he changed address from the European Championships dormitory room that for a while was inhabited among others by 3 DGR members, PDGAEurope director and a living legend Derek Robins. Videos of the event will follow later. I have over 50 gigs of footage and the net here does not handle sending it to lcgm8. Got a fairway ace from Juho Parviainen on film on round 3 for an eagle 2 on hole 13. Off the top of my head it is a 194 m long hole.

I really wish this form would pick back up. 14 pages of posts over on dgcr about a disc that hasn't been release yet is a little much.

I got to play Selah Ranch while I was away from here. Two rounds with my shoulder the way it is and those lengths did not lead to good play, but it sure was fun. Hope to get back soon and play those other new ones near there. We like staying at lake Bob Sandlin. The crappie were biting right from the dock.

Isn't it great when you don't have to jump in a boat? I was in Eagle River WI, early August, and the walleye were biting right off our pier. My 10 year old daughter's first fish ever was a 15" walleye and it scared the hell out of her.

Stringbean said:
Isn't it great when you don't have to jump in a boat? I was in Eagle River WI, early August, and the walleye were biting right off our pier. My 10 year old daughter's first fish ever was a 15" walleye and it scared the hell out of her.
I could not believe it. Hope to rent the same place in Spring one year.

JR said:
DGR in da house. Or was. Apparently smigles is sensitive to snoring so he changed address from the European Championships dormitory room that for a while was inhabited among others by 3 DGR members, PDGAEurope director and a living legend Derek Robins. Videos of the event will follow later. I have over 50 gigs of footage and the net here does not handle sending it to lcgm8. Got a fairway ace from Juho Parviainen on film on round 3 for an eagle 2 on hole 13. Off the top of my head it is a 194 m long hole.

If Robins was in the room it probably wasn't the snoring that was the problem , his nickname "The Wind" hasn't got anything to do with disc golf.... :D

I would love to see some good level discussion back on DGR again and am trying to direct traffic from Reddit and DGCR with many links to articles and forum threads, not sure if its working but lets start getting some technique stuff going again. That was the draw once the disc reviews dried up and still should be. There are a lot of very experienced very informative people on these forums and in the last couple of years they must have privately found other ways to teach their knowledge to others - lets get sharing again.

Not sure about the other forum because I don;t frequent it much. I always found this forum very dogmatic and if you didn't agree you were quickly piled up on by members who did follow the dogma.Never happened to me but I'd seen it happen many times. That sort of vibe doesn't really make for a welcoming and open atmosphere. Also most discussions turn into pissing matches...again who wants to see that over and over. I also think the longer you play the less you feel the need to talk about discs all the time. You get comfortable with your game...you realize one single disc isn't going to revolutionize you're game and if it does it's most likely in you're head anyway...IE placebo effect....that's my two cents anyhoo.

Actually people here use different forms. So it is not dogmatic on one form. Besides what is wrong with preaching what has been shown to work? not by one or a few individuals but by them and most people that they have taught? The numbers are unknown to me but in the time that i have been here people have told of the results gained by so many people that they have taught that the numbers are at least in several hundreds if not thousands. And that includes several styles. There must some others than me that have tried several forms and have the experience to compare them. So if there is dogma it is seeing why pone form has an advantage in some aspects over others and also what the weaknesses are. Where is the harm in that?

For decades, in baseball the only way to hit was by emulating the form of Ted Williams. While he was undoubtedly one of the greatest hitters the sport has ever seen, he was also a dead pull hitter, and the defensive shift was first used against him.

Even today, there are many great hitters who follow in the style of Williams, but beginning in the 90s hitters like Jeff Bagwell, Derek Jeter and Ichiro Suzuki showed that there were successful ways of hitting that were contrary to the tried and true method of Ted Williams, and the sport benefited from it.

I don't think players like Hunter Pence would have even made it to the big leagues 30 years ago, because every recruiter would have said, "Nobody can hit with a form like that," and they would have worked to dismantle his form and teach him how to hit the "right" way (which wouldn't have worked because he has Scheuermann's disease).

Latest posts