• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Alternate Material for Discs

So its no secret that the $$$ for Crude oil is out of control, not to mention the pollution it creates. Since we disc golfers promote our sport as being enviormentally friendly. Does anyone know of the companies trying to use alternate materails to blend with the plastics of discs? Hemp oil? Recycled milk jugs? Tree Sap oil?

Innova EcoStar

I believe this comes from the Innova press release for the XCaliber:

Innova said:
The XCaliber is a very fast stable to overstable long distance driver. The XCaliber is a more stable version of the Destroyer. The flight characteristic of the XCaliber is a lot like a Max with more speed and more glide. Like the Destroyer, it is great for sidearm throwers and those with lots of power. Can handle headwinds and throws with off axis torque. Not recommended for beginning players. Available weights from 170 - 175 grams. This disc is also available in EcoStar plastic in very limited quantities.

At Innova, we are trying to do our part. Eco-plastic reduces fossil fuel usage and saves landfill space for real trash. Eco-Plastic discs are molded from pre-consumer waste, not post-consumer waste. We take our overweight discs and other rejects and grind them. The grind is then blended and re-pelletized to produce Eco-Plastic. Currently all EcoStar discs are a recognizable mint green color and are made from 50% to 100% EcoStar material. The weight range and availability of EcoStar discs is currently limited. We are working to provide EcoStar in other disc models and additional colors.

The reprocessed DX material has been used in Aviar Putters. The colors is a shade of brown similar to mocha.

I bought one of the first run EcoStar XCalibers from Clearwater. You can find them on ebay now.

It would be nice to have a whole line of discs that were made from recycled plastic. Atleast we are using the plastic over and over for several years instead of just using it once and throwing it away. I do though agree with Sk8terarchitect that we need more.....

I know that Gateway is also experimenting with recycled plastic with a line of their Wizard Putters.

Wizard S-Series - Organic Prototype
The Organic Prototype Wizard is the very first disc ever produced by Gateway in an eco-friendly plastic. This disc is made from a special polymer the blends recycled rubber with other renewable resources. As the first organic disc ever produced by Gateway, this disc is sure to become a desirable collectible.

Latest posts