• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am I a bagger?

Why are open players greedy? That's BS.
My general rule for encouraging division choice is that if your score beats 1/2 the division above you - that's the time to move up. Dude said he was middle of the pack in open read it again
middle of the pack.
Hanging in a lower division because that's where you are most likely "to win" will not help you develop your game.
We are talking leagues here right? This is THE most appropriate place to play up and get your feet wet playing w/better players. Leagues are usually cheap to play (i.e. $5-10) - so it's not about the money - plus if you have a good day - and there are more people in the pool - there is a greater likelihood of cashing.
I wouldn't say you're a bagger - but I would encourage you to challenge yourself when it comes to divisional choice.

I also think you're right. You can't continue to hang in one division because you win with consistency, but don't or can't at the next level. In youth wrestling, there is an unwritten rule that, you can wrestle as a novice for your first two years OR until you place in an open tournament. Basically, this is to keep kids from hanging in a lower division and cleaning everyone's clock. You're only fooling yourself if you stay where you are, to win or be in the money. Granted, one tournamnet probably isn't a good read on anyone's skill level, but if your placing top 3 consistently I think it's time to move up.

Played another mini tonight. Tied 2 other people for 3rd place with 5 under. Advanced was won by someone who shot 10 under. 2nd place went to 8 under. I think there were about 12 of us. I played a shot or two better than my average on the course, and two shots worse than my all-time best on the course. Seems to me I'm in the right division. If I play well I place. If I play my average or worse I don't place. Now the guy who shot 10 under...

When determining what division to play in, ratings are very helpful. Ultimately though, you need to find a division where you a competitive week in and week out. If you consistently win your division, but can't crack the top ten of the next division up then you need to stay where you are at. Don't let peer pressure force you up so your entry fees will pay more those players.

crack the top 10 of the next division before you move up? that's a bit of a bar, no?

if you consistently win your division, i would think you'd get bored and would want to move up.

One win in your division doesn't make you a bagger. If that was the case the divisions would get top-heavy in a real hurry. Don't be pressured into moving up by pros who want your money. Without a rating, follow your instinct and stay in the Advanced division until you start feeling guilty or you start wanting a tougher challenge.

Latest posts