• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am I a bagger?

From what I've read, you've already made up your mind to play novice and are now looking for justification for doing so. You know how to play golf, your body won't always resond, but you know what to do which is more than most beginners/rec guys can say. Your body is hurt, but you're still going to make smart decisions, hit fairways, and make putts where able. You are an Int player or better based upon what I read. If you are looking to not throw your money away and get killed in Int, take the cash and buy yourself something nice instead.

Leave the beginner class to the beginners!

My opinion is that the Recreational or 'Novice' division is for new players. Period. End of story. Why do experienced players insist on entering this division? Why do novice players give up after one round? From what I've heard from new players, part of the reason is that there are too many baggers in their class.
Unless you're in a wheelchair now, 10 years under your belt means you should not be playing in this division.
Besides. You dont want to play a round with a bunch of beginners. You now how they play:p And if you were to get beat my them? Hmmm, I'd rather play up & take my chances.

P.S. You have 10 years of experience. I would kill for that! Please, you should not even be asking this question.
P.S.S. I never did pay Rec. I started in Advanced. Took my lumps. Paid my dues, etc.

Has someone suggested checking your score versus what people at PDGAs shoot at the courses you play?

The length of time you've been playing really doesn't matter. If you still throw at rec or novice level, that is what you should play.

There are guys around here who play rec who have been playing forever also. They would finish on the bottom card consistently if they stepped up to intermediate. They just don't have the game for one reason or the other (older, bad back, bad knee, bad form, etc) and the Rec division is the best place for them to play and be competitive.

My opinion is that the Recreational or 'Novice' division is for new players. Period. End of story. Why do experienced players insist on entering this division? Why do novice players give up after one round? From what I've heard from new players, part of the reason is that there are too many baggers in their class.
Unless you're in a wheelchair now, 10 years under your belt means you should not be playing in this division.
Besides. You dont want to play a round with a bunch of beginners. You now how they play:p And if you were to get beat my them? Hmmm, I'd rather play up & take my chances.

P.S. You have 10 years of experience. I would kill for that! Please, you should not even be asking this question.
P.S.S. I never did pay Rec. I started in Advanced. Took my lumps. Paid my dues, etc.

Good for you, that was pretty dumb though. No one should ever start in Adv. Playing up is dumb. Play with guys you can be competitive with.

Novice: A person new to a field or activity; a beginner.
Thats does not sound like you, BAGGER.

You are dumb. What if the division was just named AM3 or AM4? Would he still have to play up? Do you base all you decisions on labels that have arbitrarily assigned by other people?

There are guys around here who play rec who have been playing forever also. They would finish on the bottom card consistently if they stepped up to intermediate. They just don't have the game for one reason or the other (older, bad back, bad knee, bad form, etc) and the Rec division is the best place for them to play and be competitive.

Whatever they need to stop baggin' too. Dont play sanctioned events if you gotta bag into Rec. It is silly. Did they name it novice just cause it is a cool word, or did they want people new to the game to come out and play with each other. Dont Bag and dont stand up for bagging.

How does "taking your lumps" make you a better person? Please explain that to me. Is that like "paying your dues" because if so, that is usually just said by bitter people who feel like they got screwed over in life and want others to suffer like they do and try to convince people through dressing it up.

How can a recreational player even play in a sanctioned PDGA event? Don't those two things contradict each other?

Yeah Frank as usual you are right, coming out calling people dumb. I always forget what a great asset you are to this site. People who never played should be forced to play with veterans. That is a great idea. It is not called am3 and am4 for a reason. Open your eyes and shut your mouth Frank.

Whatever they need to stop baggin' too. Dont play sanctioned events if you gotta bag into Rec. It is silly. Did they name it novice just cause it is a cool word, or did they want people new to the game to come out and play with each other. Dont Bag and dont stand up for bagging.

so what's wrong with people "taking thier lumps" in the REC/NOV division? This guy knows he's not good enough anymore for INT and has completly changed his game (by the sounds of it). He wants to get back into tournament play on 2 courses he's never ever played.

I say don't worry about what DG snobs think. Talk to the TD and go from there.

Well Rec is MA3 and novice is MA4 and the only restrictions are your ratings. I just checked the PDGA division grid again and there doesn't seem to be anything on there about how long you've been playing dictating what division you should play in. So in conclusion you are dumb for telling him to play in a division higher than his skill level based on the number of years he's been playing.

Seriously, someone explain how "taking your lumps" is a good thing and people should want to do that. I know I don't want to take any lumps (except lovely lady ones) and would rather not play in a division where I would just lose. That doesn't seem fun at all.

This is why the PDGA should just move to referring to divisions by their color:

Ratings2008YearEnd.gif

I, for one, have been playing about 9 years. I suck. I have never played in a tournament, though I hope to this year. There was a large span of time where I didn't play but one or twice a year. Regardless, I have been playing a long time. And eventually when I play in a tournament, I will play REC/NOV because that is my skill level. Time is nothing, it's skill that matters.

If you play down you never learn anything except how it feels to bag. Dont you want to improve as a player? Oh wait this guys is only worried about the amount of plastic in his pay out. I should have guessed Frank would be in favor of Baggin'.

Playing in a higher division in a tourney is not how a person improves. That is how you get your butt whooped and end up playing the last card with guys who are also getting their butt whooped. You improve by practicing in the field and playing casual and practice rounds with a person who is better than you and willing to teach you.

Latest posts