• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am I ready for 1st tournament?

Justin Daniel

I'm in my late thirties and have only been playing for 2 or 3 months. I'm totally hooked and want to play any time I get the chance. Despite my enthusiasm, I'm still pretty bad. On our local course (par 54) I shoot around +12. My putting and upshot game is ok, but longer shots are still really unpredictable. I still have the classic beginner problem of yanking my drives up into the sky for 50 foot hyzer bomb. Other times my shots can actually go out flat and get some decent glide. I'm improving, but slowly.

There is a B tier coming up in a couple of months and I think I want to sign up for the Rec division. Is this division truly for beginners, or am I going to be holding up my card and completely embarrassing myself? I don't mind coming in last. I just don't want to feel like a fool. What do you think? Am I ready for a tournament or should I stick to casual play until I get more consistent?

You should be fine. It sounds like your mind is in the right place where you dont care if you take last place. I say go and have fun and try to beat your expectations. You will not be holding up the players in rec.

I'm in my late thirties and have only been playing for 2 or 3 months. I'm totally hooked and want to play any time I get the chance. Despite my enthusiasm, I'm still pretty bad. On our local course (par 54) I shoot around +12. My putting and upshot game is ok, but longer shots are still really unpredictable. I still have the classic beginner problem of yanking my drives up into the sky for 50 foot hyzer bomb. Other times my shots can actually go out flat and get some decent glide. I'm improving, but slowly.

There is a B tier coming up in a couple of months and I think I want to sign up for the Rec division. Is this division truly for beginners, or am I going to be holding up my card and completely embarrassing myself? I don't mind coming in last. I just don't want to feel like a fool. What do you think? Am I ready for a tournament or should I stick to casual play until I get more consistent?

I just played my first one a few weeks back and played Rec and had a lot of fun. Rec is the lowest division at most tournaments. I was in the middle of a 16 player field so that was't bad. A B tier tends to bring in some better players so you may want to wait for a C tier for your first one. Other thing you can do to get some more experience with competitive play is local leagues because the guys that play in those are also guys that play in tournaments as well and they may be able to help you gauge that a bit. Also local clubs sometimes put on unsanctioned events that are also a good way to get into tournament play if your not sure about a PDGA event.

But as I found out a tournament setting is night and day different from anything else you'll play. So no matter what your first one will be a big learning experience. Try to play to PGDA rules when you play casual rounds will help when it comes to trying to play to the rules like you have to in a tournament.

P.S. Try keeping your front knee bent and planting your front foot better when you throw that "air mail special" as I call it when I still do it once in a while myself :)

My suggestion would be to go for it. Study up on the PDGA rules so you know what to expect and let the others on your card know that you're learning. In my experience, people are usually friendly and willing to help you out during smaller tournaments. And remember, it's about having fun. Otherwise, why bother?

There is a B tier coming up in a couple of months and I think I want to sign up for the Rec division. Is this division truly for beginners, or am I going to be holding up my card and completely embarrassing myself?

The short answer is, no. It's a division for players of a certain skill level. Depending on the tournament you enter, it may or may now be the lowest skill level offered. But it's not experience-based, it's skill-based.

Which shouldn't deter you in any way. You may be playing with people with years of experience---and that will be a good thing, because they'll likely help you through some of the protocols of tournament play.

For the larger question, my answer is, if you're interested in tournament play, you're ready for it. Dive in. You may love it, and be glad you didn't delay. And if it's not your cup of tea, well, you'll find that out and not wonder about it anymore.

That's the purpose, and glory, of the rec division. It's there for people that are new to the game and/or tournaments. You won't hold anyone up or be embarrassed, nor should you be. The rec division is full of players from all skill levels and is intended, IMO, as an introductory division to tournament play. Who knows, maybe you'll surprise yourself. A few tips: know the PDGA rules, or at least have a general understanding. Be confident and courteous, the second goes a long way. And most importantly, have fun, tons of it.
I say don't wait for a C tier event, hit the B tier and have fun. Plus, as far as swag is concerned, you'll get more for your buy-in with the B tier.
My first tournament was an A tier filled with 220+ people. I played rec and I got 'schooled' by the advance women, including some very important input about rules and etiquette. I counted my score wrong, picked up my disc and walked away from a tap-out, and numerous other violations. I didn't know the rules well at the time but it was an experience I'll never forget.
Best of luck to you and welcome to the addiction :)

Play it and have fun! If you aren't worried about where you finish it will be a great experience. I still haven't won my first one yet, but have won several CTP'S and other things. Regardless, it is a day of disc golfing and there is nothing wrong with that.

If you're concerned about making a rules or etiquette faux pas at a tournament, one intermediate step you can take is join a local league if you have one. At the very least, it will get you accustomed to the slower pace that comes with tournament play.

The short answer is, no. It's a division for players of a certain skill level. Depending on the tournament you enter, it may or may now be the lowest skill level offered. But it's not experience-based, it's skill-based.

Which shouldn't deter you in any way. You may be playing with people with years of experience---and that will be a good thing, because they'll likely help you through some of the protocols of tournament play.

For the larger question, my answer is, if you're interested in tournament play, you're ready for it. Dive in. You may love it, and be glad you didn't delay. And if it's not your cup of tea, well, you'll find that out and not wonder about it anymore.

Mr Sauls nailed it all the way around (as usual). There technically are no "beginner" divisions in the PDGA. There are only skill divisions in which the lower they are, the more "beginner-friendly" they tend to be. There are folks who are life-long players who have never and will never advance their skill beyond the Rec division. They're usually the types of folks who are playing in tournaments because they love to be there playing rather than because they are out to win. IMO, the perfect people to play your first tournament with. They'll make it fun and won't hesitate to educate you when you need it.

Play it! As long as there's a Rec division, I don't think it will be a problem to play in a B tier for your first tournament.

The biggest thing to get used to in tournament play is that it tends to be a lot more formal. People care more about the order of who throws, being still and quiet when someone else is throwing, etc.

Definitely read the PDGA rules before you play a tournament. Like Brett recommended, see if you can play some local leagues or a different competitive format. Those help you learn the courtesies and procedures that are part of playing in tourneys. Most importantly, when you're in the tournament, try to take cues and follow suit with the more experienced players.

Don't worry if you're not as good as you want to be. (In disc golf, nobody is as good as they want to be!) As long as you're trying your best to play well and follow the rules, you'll be just fine.

That's the purpose, and glory, of the rec division. It's there for people that are new to the game and/or tournaments. You won't hold anyone up or be embarrassed, nor should you be. The rec division is full of players from all skill levels and is intended, IMO, as an introductory division to tournament play. Who knows, maybe you'll surprise yourself. A few tips: know the PDGA rules, or at least have a general understanding. Be confident and courteous, the second goes a long way. And most importantly, have fun, tons of it.
I say don't wait for a C tier event, hit the B tier and have fun. Plus, as far as swag is concerned, you'll get more for your buy-in with the B tier.
My first tournament was an A tier filled with 220+ people. I played rec and I got 'schooled' by the advance women, including some very important input about rules and etiquette. I counted my score wrong, picked up my disc and walked away from a tap-out, and numerous other violations. I didn't know the rules well at the time but it was an experience I'll never forget.
Best of luck to you and welcome to the addiction :)

Someone has never seen the Novice division offered at a tournament :|

OP: If they offer Novice, do that. If not, Rec is a perfectly acceptable place to start.

Do it!

I've noticed that Rec divisions differ somewhat on a regional basis in terms of popularity. Meaning that in some parts of the country Rec divisions sometimes have hardly any players and that most of the sub 900 rated players (a sub 900 rating is required to play Rec) end up playing Intermediate. That's not the case in Southern California where Rec divisions are always stocked, but I noticed that to be truer in New England, for instance.

I definitely disagree with the suggestion to play Novice. Most PDGA tournaments don't even have any players who play in Novice and if they do, they'll only be a handful of players - maybe enough to fill one card. I played my first couple of PDGA events in Novice and while I had fun, in retrospect, I should have just started out in Rec. Definitely play in Rec.

Also, get a PDGA membership. You'll get a break on entry fees and you'll start building your rating, which I personally love doing.

As for the tournament itself. Just use your common sense and be kind. I like the idea of reading the PDGA rule book. Doing that will give you a nice little foundation when undertaking a first-time activity like playing in a tournament. If you do read the rules, I guarantee you'll know the rules better than the lion's share of the players in the tournament, the TD included perhaps.

As for playing local weeklies or u sanctioned events first? I love weeklies, but don't not play in a B-Tier because you think you should hone your tournament game first playing a bunch of random flip dubs first. Jump in now! Play that B-Tier. And have fun.

Tell the people on your card that it's your first tournament. Ask them to politely correct you if you unintentionally break a rule. 98% of the people you will play with will gladly help you out.... however do not inherently trust them, because many players do not know the rules correctly. So play your rounds, do as they instruct (unless it's obvious they're messing with you), and then read the rule book again at home to confirm what you were taught.

Go for it. My first PDGA tourney was in the Intermediate division as that is typically the lowest offered in my region. My second tourney was in the Open division which was a Pro only A tier event and managed to not DFL.

Also don't expect to beat your casual round score, I think I shot something like 20 strokes worse in my first tourney. Don't be afraid to ask rules questions during the tourney...Is this stance ok? What are my options here? etc.

See Post #5 in Craigs Corner about tournament prep for what to bring and such. The whole thread is great info.

I definitely disagree with the suggestion to play Novice. Most PDGA tournaments don't even have any players who play in Novice and if they do, they'll only be a handful of players - maybe enough to fill one card.

That very much depends on the area of the country. Our events average 25 in the MA4(Novice) division.

Tell the people on your card that it's your first tournament. Ask them to politely correct you if you unintentionally break a rule. 98% of the people you will play with will gladly help you out.... however do not inherently trust them, because many players do not know the rules correctly. So play your rounds, do as they instruct (unless it's obvious they're messing with you), and then read the rule book again at home to confirm what you were taught.

This. All of this.

Not if it's a spelling tournament :D

Seriously though, do it. Take the advice others have given, and learn and start adhering to the rules right now so you are comfortable with it in tournament play.

A "B" tier is usually a pretty competitive, well run event. To be honest I'd save your money and play some local paid minis for a while, learn the rules, try to get your game a little more stable, etc, etc. After you've played a few minis and experienced the ups and downs of paid competitive play then for sure I would jump right into PDGA tournaments! And REC is a great place to start for anyone new to the PDGA. Good luck!

Latest posts