• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am I ready for 1st tournament?

I hope the OP doesn't mind me piggy-backing on their thread, but I've had this question in mind for a few months now with a slightly different.

I've been playing for three years. I play 1-2 times a week, so not a ton, but enough to have seen steady progression. I don't make league very often owing to my schedule, and have only played in two tournaments of any sort, one a Birdie Bash and the other a very casual tournament attended mostly if not completely by locals, that was primarily about testing a new layout at a local course.

I've been thinking of making the dive into tournaments at some point in the relatively near future, and have been trying to figure out whether to go in at Rec or Intermediate. The real point of indecision is that I think my skill level is more towards intermediate at this point - I play about 900 level golf on average - but my inexperience with tournament procedure and rules, especially footing (I could use a lot of work with planting behind a mini) has me wanting to start at Rec.

Any thoughts on this? I'd hate to be accused of sandbagging in my first tournament, but I also don't want to get called for 20 foot faults by some hardcore Intermediate player, either. My primary concern is having a good first experience; I'm not really worried with where I place.

Any thoughts on this? I'd hate to be accused of sandbagging in my first tournament, but I also don't want to get called for 20 foot faults by some hardcore Intermediate player, either. My primary concern is having a good first experience; I'm not really worried with where I place.

Play Rec. Nobody's going to call you a sandbagger in your first tournament---except those who do it as a joke, no matter who wins.

I will say that, at least around here, there's not a big seriousness gap between divisions. The Recs aren't extremely slack, nor are the Advanceds particularly strident. It's all about skill level, and players deciding whether they want to play where they belong, or challenge themselves by playing above their level.

...Any thoughts on this? I'd hate to be accused of sandbagging in my first tournament, but I also don't want to get called for 20 foot faults by some hardcore Intermediate player, either. My primary concern is having a good first experience; I'm not really worried with where I place.

If its a PDGA sponsored event, the rules are the same for all divisions. If you anticipate it being an issue in tournament play, I would definitely work on your footing before the tournament. Sounds like you have good skills, but it would benefit you in the long run if you want to get more involved in competitive play. Rec division doesn't mean people are loose with the rules or let things go, it just means the skill level is one level below intermediate. I would hope the other players will help you out with that rule and any other rules you may not be aware of.

Rec division doesn't mean people are loose with the rules or let things go, it just means the skill level is one level below intermediate.
In all honesty, if the OP even gives the rule book a casual glance (and he should), he'll probably be more up to speed on the rules than most of the people he'll face in either the Recreational or Intermediate divisions.

Pains me to say that, but in my experience that's true.

In all honesty, if the OP even gives the rule book a casual glance (and he should), he'll probably be more up to speed on the rules than most of the people he'll face in either the Recreational or Intermediate divisions.

Pains me to say that, but in my experience that's true.

I am guessing you are right, unfortunately. I played with a guy in the masters advanced division recently who migrated from intermediate who wasn't coming within a foot of his mini to the left or right during a tournament. I gave him a friendly reminder twice, but he really didn't seem to care much. He was so far behind in the standings that I decided to let it go rather than ruin my mojo by penalizing him.

Besides, honestly I am not sure I even agree with the foot fault rule. Why not give players the choice to stand one foot to ether side of the disc? On the tee off there is the option to shoot from a five foot wide tee, why not extend this to fairway shots. Sometimes it isn't practical to stand directly behind the disc.

If players are breaking this rule on a routine basis, maybe the rule doesn't make sense? Just saying....
So now we're talking about traditional golf rules. Play it wear it lands.

Placing a tee shot on the tee, whether it's a ball or disc, are considered "drops" on the tee zone. Just like dropping on a drop zone.

My suggestion would be to go for it. Study up on the PDGA rules so you know what to expect and let the others on your card know that you're learning. In my experience, people are usually friendly and willing to help you out during smaller tournaments. And remember, it's about having fun. Otherwise, why bother?

^^^This. Also, play intermediate if you plan to play more sanctioned events. You will have a better opportunity learning the rules and etiquette from tournament players instead of playing with casuals in the recreational or novice divisions that normally only play the local sanctioned tournament each year. if you are playing a short, technical par 54 course, definately play intermediate as short, technical par 54s gives everyone a chance to win the event no matter what division. In Charleston, SC, sanctioned events have been played at a couple of short technical courses over the recent years (James Island County Park and Tidal Creek in West Ashley) and some casual recreational and intermediate players have shot the same scores as some open and advanced men. Also, make sure you have a mini or buy one before your first round. Most people are cool about lending a mini to you if you forget but it is another way for some to get in your head right when the round begins. Have fun!

I got a friend into disc golf recently. She played her first round on a wednesday, her second round that thursday, and a tournament that saturday. I believe she played triple/quadruple bogey golf, and had a blast. I couldnt have been more proud. So if youre playing this game/sport for fun (which you should be), youre ready for a tournament.

I know plenty of people who have been playing a long time and still make a lot of beginner mistakes.. Believe me you won't be alone out there. Plus tournaments are fun, you'll meet nice people, and learn a lot... Plus you might even win something! You don't need to be the best to win, just make the least amount of mistakes that day.

My first, and only, tourney, I signed up as Rec and they stuck me in Open/Pro without my knowledge. I still didn't finish in last place. I think you should give yourself the option to have FUN and make it a Great experience for You. :)

Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone! I pulled the trigger and signed up. Maybe I'll see some of you fine folks at the Piney Woods Open in Tyler, TX in November.

Latest posts