• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am I the only one who can't throw a disc 200 ft.?

Sub 200'? I suggest forgetting about this mythical "form" and trying to throw the Psnot out of the disc.

If you're liking your heavier discs, picking up a Condor might help you. You might need the extra weight around the rim to assist you finding the hit, and what weight moving around feels like.

This probably means that you are strong-arming. This means that you are starting to pull/throw with your arm all the way from the reach back. What happens is your arm is moving so fast by the time the disc gets to your chest, that once you start to rotate to throw, you can't physically hold on to the disc anymore...and it pops out early.

Watch more videos and really concentrate on hip rotation...rotating the hips rotates the shoulders, and should bring your throwing elbow out front and your disc to your chest, without using any muscle in your arm actively. From here, use your elbow.

If you do that, the disc should get to your chest and a slower speed and you shouldn't have as many grip-slip issues. Plus you'll be using muscles in your legs/core and your throws should be easier and longer!
Thanks! This makes good sense based on what I think I'm doing and gives me something to work on.

Two Ideas:

1) Play a lot of catch with a putter and a friend. Just try to throw it smooth to him so he doesn't have to move much to catch it. Don't worry about footwork or mechanics too much while you do this. Try to be natural about it. As you go, keep moving back a few steps every so often. This is a quick and fun way to learn smooth accuracy. Once you get up in the 150'+ range you can play with your buzzz too.

2) For drivers, start with your back facing where you are aiming and your throwing arm up at shoulder height and extended back. Step smoothly backward with your left foot, then right foot, and turn and throw. I've used this with a lot of new players to teach them extension/rotation, and they almost always see distance gains.

I'm right there with you. I can't get my BH to fly long at all. I have heard tips on various courses and maybe these will help you more than me. The reoccurring suggestions I have gotten are "keep the disc level all the way through" and, as weird as it sounds, "practice your spin by whipping your towel." It's helped me a little, but still now throwing those bombs.

Learning a hyzer flip with the stingray was my first "ah ha" moment. Even if unintentional hyzer amounts. First disc I pushed from the 150 ft spike hyzer stage to 250
Ft dead straight. Then years of learning flat release

Latest posts