• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Am I the only one who hates throwing putters off the tee?

bfowler

Double Eagle Member
My friends are always telling me to use my putter more for driving but honestly I hate it. The big problem I have with them is how deep a putter is compared to a mid or driver. It just feels bulky and easily catches my fingers on release.

I use my putter (175 Anode) for putting, some upshots and some short control shots.

Am I alone here or am I missing a potential big very useful part of the game?

Driving with Putters saves me a lot of strokes. When I throw a putter it is harder for me to overthrow the hole, putters are easy to throw short shots with little to no fade & its also a very good thing for newer players to do. I use the Climo Grip when I drive with putters & it works fine for me. I'd highly recommend learning how to throw putters.

Throw the zone or i found that beadless putters are less likely to stick in your fingers

I throw them when the shot calls for it, but I'm not a big fan. On longer putter holes I'll usually flick a comet.

I actually like throwing putters off holes that are around 150 ft (Sorry DGCR, that's about as far as I can push a putter right now, I know i'm supposed to get them farther), so it's a really great feeling on the short par 3's that SHOULD BE par 2s.

That being said, I've played a few putter rounds recently, and if the hole is longer than I can throw a putter, I sure wish I had brought all of my drivers.

That being said, I've played a few putter rounds recently, and if the hole is longer than I can throw a putter, I sure wish I had brought all of my drivers.

Putter only rounds aren't about scores (unless its in leagues or a tourney) they're about learning your putters better, working lines & working on form.

Putter only rounds aren't about scores (unless its in leagues or a tourney) they're about learning your putters better, working lines & working on form.

I wholeheartedly agree, it's not from a scorekeeping perspective, when me and my buddies play putter rounds nobody keeps score.

It's just a feeling of personal frustration. After you throw the shot you think in your head "DAMN, my Fury would have been PERFECT for that shot" or "I coulda parked that with my PD"

I wholeheartedly agree, it's not from a scorekeeping perspective, when me and my buddies play putter rounds nobody keeps score.

It's just a feeling of personal frustration. After you throw the shot you think in your head "DAMN, my Fury would have been PERFECT for that shot" or "I coulda parked that with my PD"

Well in that case I feel your pain. It seems ever time I play with just putters I have similar thoughts to yours but in the back of my mind I know it will help me in the long run to just use putters during the round. My thoughts usually go as follows "Damn I really wish I had my Destroyer right now for ths 400ft hole!" or "F**k I don't have any discs I can throw tomahawk to get over these trees I keep hitting!" :D

If your regular putter doesn't come out of your hand clean, and you don't .like using it
Get a different one just for driving with.
I carry 4 different putters
1 of those 4 is for inside the circle, the rest are throwers

Try a shallower putter.

From most understable to overstable-

XD
Spike
Summit
Pure
P3
Rhyno
Zone

The Spike, Summit, and Pure are going to be the straightest flyers.

My friends are always telling me to use my putter more for driving but honestly I hate it. The big problem I have with them is how deep a putter is compared to a mid or driver. It just feels bulky and easily catches my fingers on release.

I use my putter (175 Anode) for putting, some upshots and some short control shots.

Am I alone here or am I missing a potential big very useful part of the game?
Stick with what works best for you.

I don't agree with all this "you must use a putter off the tee to improve your game". You said it doesn't feel right in your hand then that should be the biggest factor to decide if you should or not. Not what anyone else says.

What grip do you use when you approach with your Anode vs when you drive with it? If you are comfortable approaching with them I don't see why driving would be an issue.

It's not the end of the world if you can't drive your putter either way. The main benefit is how controlled they are...minimal fade and barely any skip.

You could try something more shallow like a Pure, Dart or Rhyno, but IMO you should try just one 9 hole pitch n putt round with just the Anode and see if you can get used to it.

I went from KC Aviars to Rhynos the first summer I played for this same reason. Everyone on DGR told me I should go back to the Aviars or try Wizards because they have more glide and teach you more about form etc. When I picked up my first Wizards I had the same problem, but I threw a pitch n putt with them a few rounds in one day and that was all it took.

Check this out....first time I got my hands on an Anode.

Simple answer: yes, you are missing out but not if you truly lose control when trying to drive with a putter. Like others have said, try some different grips and you may be happy with the results.

Shoot, my PA4 is the only thing I can drive anymore.

I've been teeing off with mine a lot lately.
I think the PA4 is the longest putter I've throw. Great glide and workable stable.

To the OP: one thing that putters do better than any other disc is a smooth anny that just rides and nestles on the ground. Many other discs will flip, fade or flex out. Putters like the PA1, wizard, challenger, ion, will just adjust to flat and sit down beautifully.

I use my putters for putting and short approach shots. That's it. I just feel much more comfortable using a midrange for anything outside of...I don't know, I'd say maybe about 75'. I haven't measured where I usually start going with a mid. :)

If I'm driving a short hole I'll use my Mako3 or a Buzzz/Buzzz SS or my Roc3. I don't even actually "drive" them most of the time now, just take a standing shot with no run up.

Latest posts