• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am I "throwing" away potenial D?

yangs1

Double Eagle Member
Yesterday while playing a round a couple of people in my group were taking a good deal of photos. After looking at the photos I noticed, when throwing off the tee, that I bringing my left arm up and putting the disc under my arm. Is this really bad form? Am I losing major distance from this? I throw RHBH and I have been stuck at the 275'-300' plateau now for a couple of years. I'm just wondering if this may be a big part of this.

Short answer: No. Check youtube videos for the swedish disc golf driving style.

Long answer: I'm sure someone will have one ;)

It depends. If you're doing it because you aren't getting your left arm/shoulder turned around (i.e. are getting little to no shoulder rotation) then it's probably an issue. If you are getting shoulder rotation then it doesn't really matter.

I believe I'm getting shoulder rotation but I'll focus on this the next time I'm out to make sure. Thanks for the info.

It depends. If you're doing it because you aren't getting your left arm/shoulder turned around (i.e. are getting little to no shoulder rotation) then it's probably an issue. If you are getting shoulder rotation then it doesn't really matter.

I used to do this when I first started playing, and when I started to keep my left arm down and close to my side it increased my distance a good 50-75ft. It took me a few days of practice before it felt normal but I'm glad that I did it. I have seen a couple guys who throw far while still keeping their left arm high but I believe these people are an exception and its not the norm.

I used to do the same thing and was stuck at 325' max distance a few years ago. Then I saw 2 of the Discraft driving clinic videos, tweeked my form (which included keeping my left arm down) and started throwing 375' within a few weeks. Continued work on my drives saw me hit the 450' mark about a year later.

Without a video, it's hard to tell. I can say that Double G throws with his left arm up very high and we all know that it's not causing him to lose distance.

I can say that Double G throws with his left arm up very high and we all know that it's not causing him to lose distance.

I was going to say the same thing - one thing that you will hear from a lot of people during clinics is 'this is the way you should throw' then they'll go on to say, but don't do it like me or so-and-so because they do something different. GG has a non standard throw, but it works for him

There are a few specific things that need to happen to a disc - nose down, spin, etc - but it doesn't matter how those get imparted. Having 'good' form increases the chances you can do that with efficiency and regularity, but there is no one right way to throw.

I had one of my best rounds ever out at Blue Ribbon Pines yesterday and then I see these photos and I didn't know what to think. It's possible I have my own style but it's not like I'm crushing 450' drives or even 350' ones, which makes me think I may have some issues. I should probably post a video of a few throws in the "Critique My Form" area.

I was going to say the same thing - one thing that you will hear from a lot of people during clinics is 'this is the way you should throw' then they'll go on to say, but don't do it like me or so-and-so because they do something different. GG has a non standard throw, but it works for him

There are a few specific things that need to happen to a disc - nose down, spin, etc - but it doesn't matter how those get imparted. Having 'good' form increases the chances you can do that with efficiency and regularity, but there is no one right way to throw.

This is a shot of one of my very good friends who has a slight under the left arm pull and he's a 400' + thrower on command. 936 rated. He's got a unique step up and follow through that works for him.

Attachments

• 20120617-104533.jpg
    20120617-104533.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 56
That's exactly what my throw looks like at least when comparing photo to photo.

This is a shot of one of my very good friends who has a slight under the left arm pull and he's a 400' + thrower on command. 936 rated. He's got a unique step up and follow through that works for him.

Last edited:

Latest posts