• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Am Payouts stifle pro growth?

Totally agree. The PDGA should 100% move away from anything pro related and let another entity handle it.

DiscFifty, this comment is not directed at you individually, but rather nearly all posters in general.
Remember -- the PDGA is a player-driven organization. The pros can disassociate themselves from the organization at any time they choose. Heck in one part of the country, "Southern Nationals" has grown on its own and, could, if they wanted, form their own organization.

This kind of attitude is another reason I don't play many tournaments anymore. Rules are rules for a reason and you choosing which to enforce is part of the problem.

If they didn't get a competitive advantage from breaking the rules, they should have no problem following the rules! 🙂

I am not sure I understand what you mean. While I really disagree with the willful cheating as implied in an earlier post (at least in my own experience), there is a CAVERN between breaking a rule and willfully cheating. Some don't allow enough room for that.

Hippies and potheads stifle the growth of disc golf ... Fixed the OP title.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Not all potheads are hippies and not all hippies are potheads.

If it weren't for hippies and potheads, you wouldn't be playing disc golf...

I was going to post the same thing. Outside of them developing and growing the sport in the early days, they are now the TD's, course installation drivers, most of the volunteer course maintenance help and the guys growing the sport now. At least the hippies are. :p

Hippies and potheads stifle the growth of disc golf ... Fixed the OP title.

Don't know where you are at or what courses you play but smoking weed on the course isn't something that is rampant on the courses we play. Matter of fact, a lot of times you see older gents out to get what exercise they can still perform and a lot of younger teens just getting into the game. I get the occasional whiff of weed now and then and wonder why they haven't invited me over to join them? But if you want to hang with the stuffed shirt crowd then I would suggest regular golf is your scene. You'll just have to put up with the drunks out on the course and maybe join their rodeo when they start to race those golf carts around the course.

I often hear/read this expressed axiomatically without much explanation.

Why shouldn't AMs be able to play for cash?

They most certainly should be able to play for cash once they move up to the Open division. :thmbup:

I think what he's trying to convey, is why do grown ass men and women have to be considered AMs? Its not like we are out there trying to stay amateur so we can play college sports. Even the Olympics isn't amateur anymore...

The answer is, manufacturers want it that way. I wonder what the percentage of Innova's and DC's revenue is from shops, clubs and TDs getting product for vending and player packs.

Lets face the facts here, some people are just never going to be able to compete with the top half of local "open" players in their age group no matter how much they practice. Why should they have to be perpetual donators or stay "AM" and play for merch?

If they want to keep the Jrs and Rec division "AM" that would be fine but all other divisions should be playing for cash, imo.

If ams played for cash, they'd have to come up with a new name to describe themselves as amateur would no longer fit. <consults dictionary> How about "pros"?

I think there's only one way in which a cash prizes to all divisions situation would work, and that's a stringent ratings-based structure. No playing up, no playing down (obviously), you play where your rating puts you until your rating dictates you change divisions. There'd be no more peer pressure problems. No cajoling players to move up just to bolster the pot with entries from players who can't truly compete. No misalignment between regions creating the perception that the ratings breaks are "wrong".

I think what he's trying to convey, is why do grown ass men and women have to be considered AMs? Its not like we are out there trying to stay amateur so we can play college sports. Even the Olympics isn't amateur anymore...

The answer is, manufacturers want it that way. I wonder what the percentage of Innova's and DC's revenue is from shops, clubs and TDs getting product for vending and player packs.

Lets face the facts here, some people are just never going to be able to compete with the top half of local "open" players in their age group no matter how much they practice. Why should they have to be perpetual donators or stay "AM" and play for merch?

If they want to keep the Jrs and Rec division "AM" that would be fine but all other divisions should be playing for cash, imo.

Ridiculous. Pro vs. amateur is not a difficult concept to grasp. But then again they are letting people born a male compete in a girls division in some sports. So why not?

If ams played for cash, they'd have to come up with a new name to describe themselves as amateur would no longer fit. <consults dictionary> How about "pros"?

I think there's only one way in which a cash prizes to all divisions situation would work, and that's a stringent ratings-based structure. No playing up, no playing down (obviously), you play where your rating puts you until your rating dictates you change divisions. There'd be no more peer pressure problems. No cajoling players to move up just to bolster the pot with entries from players who can't truly compete. No misalignment between regions creating the perception that the ratings breaks are "wrong".

A lot people already feel the amateur name doesn't fit.;)

That might work but I think some kind of leeway for Atiers/majors might have to be in place for people to be allowed to "play up". People who travel together often have to play the same divisions for logistical reasons. Or maybe instead of a stringent policy, have the ratings breaks be smaller.

Ive gone over this on other occasions but I'll briefly touch on it again. The current ratings breaks aren't really lined up properly from my experience. There is a jump in skill level about 10-15pts lower than the actual cutoffs, which is where I think a lot of the peer pressure comes from. The 900-15ish player compares much better with the 880-900 level than 920ish to 935 for example. Its just something Ive noticed from playing a bunch of rec and int events around here, other areas may be different.

Last edited:
If it weren't for hippies and potheads, you wouldn't be playing disc golf...
I played with frisbees since I was a small child and it didn't take me long to figure out I could aim at trees and fence posts and play golf by myself when I didn't have a large group to play catch. My cousin and I thought we invented frisbee golf. Ironically enough, in my early 20s I quit playing "real" disc golf because of all the hippies and juggalos running people off at my local course. You couldn't get past hole 2 without being robbed or accosted by anarchists and people strung out on heroin. Y'all type made me quit playing for 15 years. I thought the sport was all but dead until I saw the European Open on YouTube. Thank God for European disc golf. It's a real sport on this side of the Atlantic. Y'all have fun with your pathetic amateur players packs. Lul.

I played with frisbees since I was a small child and it didn't take me long to figure out I could aim at trees and fence posts and play golf by myself when I didn't have a large group to play catch. My cousin and I thought we invented frisbee golf. Ironically enough, in my early 20s I quit playing "real" disc golf because of all the hippies and juggalos running people off at my local course. You couldn't get past hole 2 without being robbed or accosted by anarchists and people strung out on heroin. Y'all type made me quit playing for 15 years. I thought the sport was all but dead until I saw the European Open on YouTube. Thank God for European disc golf. It's a real sport on this side of the Atlantic. Y'all have fun with your pathetic amateur players packs. Lul.

Seriously...you signed up with DGCR a year and a half ago and you are just getting around to trolling for attention NOW?

I agree with Brutal....LOL!! I am sure that facebook would be a better place to proclaim your hatred for everyone. At least hippies and potheads are not judgmental windbags.

I am now considering becoming the first American juggalo hippie anarchist golfer, to be strung out on heroin and pot, accosting Europeans on a golf course.

Yeah, you Europeans are so good that's why you all do so well when taking on the American pros. Most of your courses suck as well. As for where you are seeing people strung out on smack or getting robbed etc., what the hell type of place do you play at??

Another way to have all players playing for cash prizes could be using a handicap system. Sure, there would be some issues to work out but I have to think the current ratings system could be utilized to provide equitable handicaps. We could do away with having a dozen divisions with some divisions having only 4-5 competitors. Everyone plays in one big happy pool.

I had no idea European disc golf courses were so packed with junkies and criminals lurking on hole 2 just to blast some ICP to run you off. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you're exaggerating. Oh, and also........

Bye Felicia!

Another way to have all players playing for cash prizes could be using a handicap system. Sure, there would be some issues to work out but I have to think the current ratings system could be utilized to provide equitable handicaps. We could do away with having a dozen divisions with some divisions having only 4-5 competitors. Everyone plays in one big happy pool.
Performance Flight at USDGC. Event moved to Kansas a few years later and not sure if it's still a thing.

Aaaaahahahahaha this is classic

Latest posts