• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

AM Worlds invite question

Fntsygamr

Bogey Member
I have some questions that I hope can get answered here. I currently play in the rec division and have 207 points this year. I am wondering what qualifies you for the AM Worlds? Do the points that I get when playing in rec count toward qualification for this event? Do I have to play in the AM2 or higher to get points to be qualified?

I am a little confused when it comes to the point system for qualifying.

If anyone has some information that they can provide, I would greatly appreciate it.

All Am points earned in any division are the same and get added together for the year. I believe you needed 750 points to qualify for an invite to Am Worlds this year. Probably the same minimum for next year.

I do not think that is accurate. There are a few locals that have made the trip this year and only have close to 400 points. I am just trying to figure out if I should be making plans to attend next year or what I need to do in order to get an invite in the future. I have only been PDGA member for this year and have only been playing for shy of two full years.

I do not think that is accurate. There are a few locals that have made the trip this year and only have close to 400 points. I am just trying to figure out if I should be making plans to attend next year or what I need to do in order to get an invite in the future. I have only been PDGA member for this year and have only been playing for shy of two full years.

Are those acquaintances in an age-protected division (Masters, Grandmasters, etc)? That could explain the lower point total since the criteria is lower for those divisions. Also, it's point total for the previous year, not current point total. So if those players have "close to 400 points" now, that's irrelevant. It's how many points they earned in 2014.

Cgkdisc is correct. All am points, regardless of division, count the same. And it's the grand total for the year that matters. 750 was the minimum points required to get an MA1 invite to this year's worlds and that threshold is probably a fair expectation for qualifying for 2016 Am Worlds. If you're aiming for an age-protected division, the point thresholds will be lower.

When will the minimum number of points be decided for next year's championship?

You'd think that would be something that would already be decided, right? So players know exactly what they have to do from the start of the season. But if it's been decided, it hasn't been announced. Last year, the announcement came late summer (end of August to be exact). I would hope if there are any significant changes, they announce it sooner than that this year.

Ideally, they should have been set before the beginning of the year so competitors know what to aim for.

You'd think that would be something that would already be decided, right? So players know exactly what they have to do from the start of the season. But if it's been decided, it hasn't been announced. Last year, the announcement came late summer (end of August to be exact). I would hope if there are any significant changes, they announce it sooner than that this year.

Indeed, I remember that, which is why I am asking now. I'm looking to play next year and I can probably swing the 750 without a problem. If they decide to up it another 250 points like they did late in the year last year then it will certainly make it difficult for me to find and register for tournaments.

Reading the criteria, I guess I would be in the 750 point range...even though I play in the Rec division? I will be 40 next year, so the criteria would be lowered due to my age and I could possibly be eligible for the 2017 AM Worlds if I get the minimum number of points for MM1 criteria.

Reading the criteria, I guess I would be in the 750 point range...even though I play in the Rec division? I will be 40 next year, so the criteria would be lowered due to my age and I could possibly be eligible for the 2017 AM Worlds if I get the minimum number of points for MM1 criteria.

If you turn 40 next year, you are eligible for MM1 next year.

There is no Rec division at Worlds. All points earned in any amateur division count toward your total to meet the criteria for MA1 and in your case, MM1.

All Am points earned in any division are the same and get added together for the year. I believe you needed 750 points to qualify for an invite to Am Worlds this year. Probably the same minimum for next year.
Just quoting this from above for you guys asking about next year. In case you missed it.

Additional relevant info from the pdga site is as follows:

"Invitations to the PDGA World Championships are based on a current member meeting a published minimum number of points for their age-based division during the previous year's PDGA Tour. *Unlike the End-of-Year awards, all points earned within any division matching the member's class (Pro or Amateur) count towards a Worlds invitation for their age-based division. *For example, if an Amateur class player earned 250 points playing MM1, 200 points playing MA1, and 100 points playing in MPM, they would receive 450 Amateur class points towards an Amateur Worlds Championship in the MM1 division. *(The Amateur MM1 points plus the Amateur MA1 points; the Pro points earned in MPM don't count since the member is Amateur class.)"

So the number of point you need doesn't change based on what Dev you play in, and as JC pointed out world's doesn't have rec/int/adv. It makes for an interesting calculation as to what division to play in during your qualifying year. The points factor for advanced is so much higher you could potentially earn more points playing up in a higher division, and only beating a few players, then playing in Rec/INT and actually be competitive in that division

One last question that I hope can be answered. Since I will be turning 40 next year, do the points I earn this year qualify me next year in the MM1 or do I have to earn the points next year to qualify for the 2017 Worlds? I have only been playing for just shy of 2 years and this year is the only time I have been a PDGA member and played in tournaments. It is all still new to me and I know that I won't have so many questions going forward. I appreciate all the responses and thank everyone for their replies.

I have 207 points so far this year, and 4 more tournaments scheduled in the coming weeks (through August). Providing I don't suck out loud, I should be able to meet the 250 minimum for MM1, but not sure if that really matters if I need 750 this year for 2016 Worlds.

One last question that I hope can be answered. Since I will be turning 40 next year, do the points I earn this year qualify me next year in the MM1 or do I have to earn the points next year to qualify for the 2017 Worlds? I have only been playing for just shy of 2 years and this year is the only time I have been a PDGA member and played in tournaments. It is all still new to me and I know that I won't have so many questions going forward. I appreciate all the responses and thank everyone for their replies.

I have 207 points so far this year, and 4 more tournaments scheduled in the coming weeks (through August). Providing I don't suck out loud, I should be able to meet the 250 minimum for MM1, but not sure if that really matters if I need 750 this year for 2016 Worlds.

Again, am points are am points are am points. It doesn't matter what division you earned them in or how old you were when you earned them. If you are turning 40 next year, you will be invited to play MM1 next year as long as your point total meets the minimums. Sounds like you're in good shape to get there.

I wouldn't go booking flights and hotels just yet (only because an invite is not a guaranteed spot...still have to register when the time comes), but it sounds like you can plan on being invited to the 2016 Am Worlds in the MM1 division.

Again, am points are am points are am points. It doesn't matter what division you earned them in or how old you were when you earned them. If you are turning 40 next year, you will be invited to play MM1 next year as long as your point total meets the minimums. Sounds like you're in good shape to get there.

I wouldn't go booking flights and hotels just yet (only because an invite is not a guaranteed spot...still have to register when the time comes), but it sounds like you can plan on being invited to the 2016 Am Worlds in the MM1 division.

No flights are being booked and no hotels yet either, just looking for information. Thank you to everyone for chiming in.

What is the officials exam requirement for the entry? Anyone know how much the entry fee is for worlds as well?

Latest posts