• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

AM Worlds Points Question

ru4por

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
I have tried to look this up and I am concerned I am not reading this correctly. I would love to have someone confirm. I am turning 60 within the 2023 calendar year. I will be eligible to play MA60 next year. Do I need MA55 [500] points to get an invite to 2023 Worlds or MA60 [300] points, earned this summer.

You can see my confusion. I am earning points this summer (when I do not turn 60), to play in Worlds next year (when I do turn 60).

Link: https://www.pdga.com/files/2023_masters_worlds_pro_amateur_-_invitation_to_register_criteria_v3.pdf

Since MA60 will be your "primary" division for the Worlds that year all your points (regardless of division) will count towards that division and you will need to meet the requirement for that division. If you were to decide to try to play MA55 then only your MA55 points would count and you would have to meet that requirement.

It's a screwy way to do things imo. Male players under 40 who want to play MA1 get to count points from MA2, MA3, MA4 but older players or female players wanting to play MA1 can only count those earned in MA1. IMO points should not be the qualifier for Worlds any more- use ratings and some minimum number of events. If points have to be used then eliminate using points from lower divisions to qualify for MA1.

Since MA60 will be your "primary" division for the Worlds that year all your points (regardless of division) will count towards that division and you will need to meet the requirement for that division. If you were to decide to try to play MA55 then only your MA55 points would count and you would have to meet that requirement.

Completely correct.

Your age during the year of the tournament sets your Primary Division. Points earned in the preceding year serve to qualify for that division. As you point out, this looks a little odd for players who age into a new division between last year and this year.

Primary Invite is based on age, class, and gender. If you're a 43 year old amateur male, your primary division is MA40. It doesn't matter what divisions you normally play or anything - just age, class, and gender. ALL of your amateur points earned in 2022 count toward your primary division in 2023. Many masters aged player strategically choose to play a few tournaments in MA1/2/3 in order to earn more points for their primary invite.

Secondary Invite is any other division you've played in. If you're an MA40 player but you play a lot of MA1, you can earn a secondary invite to MA1 if you earned enough points specifically playing in that division. Same for an FA1 player who plays a lot of MA1 events. Or an MA55 player who plays a lot of MA40 events.

I am turning 60 within the 2023 calendar year. I will be eligible to play MA60 next year.

Damn you're old.;)

Seriously, PDGA needs to work out these kinks in the rules. I recall in 2014, I think (I'm old, too), they changed the 2015 AM points requirement late in the year. Possibly because there were going to be too many people eligible for AM Worlds, so they were moving the bar to make it harder to qualify. Stuff like this is really ridiculous. And the thing is, not everybody who qualifies is going to actually participate, especially when an AM Worlds is on one coast or the other. Maybe PDGA has a "if we build it, they will ALL come" mentality.
All that to say, when it comes to the age protected and female divisions, let them (us!) play.

Thanks guys. It is odd. I cannot earn points in my primary division this year, that just seems weird. Heck, getting 300 point in MA60, around here would be a chore. We have a decent geezer crowd, but getting more than a small handful at one place, is rare. It kind of forces travel to a larger, national event.

I appreciate the input.

Thanks guys. It is odd. I cannot earn points in my primary division this year, that just seems weird. Heck, getting 300 point in MA60, around here would be a chore. We have a decent geezer crowd, but getting more than a small handful at one place, is rare. It kind of forces travel to a larger, national event.

I appreciate the input.

Yeah I tried last year to earn it exclusively in MA50 last year. Didn't happen and I had to enter a couple events where everyone played in MA1.

Technically speaking the question in hand is referring to PDGA Masters Pro & Am Worlds.

Not Am Worlds. :)

Interestingly I peeked at the 2022 draft schedule. It looks like the event is dropping the round from 6 rounds in 4 days to 4 rounds, one per day. And only two courses.

Not quite sure how I feel about that.

https://www.pdga.com/files/2022_masters_worlds_schedule.pdf

You are correct, of course.

I am not a fan. Especially where they have plenty of courses available. The decision to keep players on only two courses seems to be driven by the ease of scheduling?

I would prefer to play 6 rounds, on six courses, if possible. If I am traveling, I want to bag courses!! I honestly will get to any Worlds a week, or better, ahead of time and play most of the courses anyway, but not everyone can do that. Retirement will be good!

I am not a fan. Especially where they have plenty of courses available. The decision to keep players on only two courses seems to be driven by the ease of scheduling?

I am 100% guessing but I believe it has more to do with the Pro side wanting to keep course count low to preventing having to spend a week learning 6 new courses. That's what the open field has demanded in the past.

Where the AMs are give us every course you can. Moving from 6 to 4 rounds over 4 days seems more appropriate for 50+ divisions. 6 was just a little bit too much for my body to handle well. Now if they where courses more geared towards MA50 and not MA1 I would probably change my mind.

I appreciate the input.

All Am points you earn go towards your primary division. If you want to qualify in a secondary division then you need to earn points in that division.

I am 100% guessing but I believe it has more to do with the Pro side wanting to keep course count low to preventing having to spend a week learning 6 new courses. That's what the open field has demanded in the past.

Where the AMs are give us every course you can. Moving from 6 to 4 rounds over 4 days seems more appropriate for 50+ divisions. 6 was just a little bit too much for my body to handle well. Now if they where courses more geared towards MA50 and not MA1 I would probably change my mind.

Yeah sure. They change it the year AFTER I was sitting 2nd overall after three rounds ... then crashed and burned!!!

Latest posts