• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2023 PDGA Masters Disc Golf World Championships

Congrats to our man Graham, looks like he made the podium in 3rd MP60. Well done sir. Be excited to hear the story next Sunday.

Does anyone know why there are different ratio for between the pro and am making the semi finials?

MP50 Field of 66 get 27 + ties into the semis
MA50 Field of 75 gets 15 +ties into the semis

MP55 Field of 47 get 19 + ties into the semis
MA 55 Field of 76 gets 16 + ties into the semis

I'm sure someone will say it's limited due to the course.

Tomorrow MP50,55,60 have a total of 64 + ties playing at Thorpe in the semis
MA50 and 55 have a total of 31 + ties playing at McPherson in the semis

Asking for a friend who is currently 19th in MA55. :\

Last edited:
Semis and Finals are tomorrow. It isn't over yet.

Thanks, I saw the F it did seem weird to me that the tournament would be over by a Friday though. Either way and no matter how it pans out good for him just getting on the lead card makes him a winner in my book haha

Does anyone know why there are different ratio for between the pro and am making the semi finials?

MP50 Field of 66 get 27 + ties into the semis
MA50 Field of 75 gets 15 +ties into the semis

MP55 Field of 47 get 19 + ties into the semis
MA 55 Field of 76 gets 16 + ties into the semis

I'm sure someone will say it's limited due to the course.

Tomorrow MP50,55,60 have a total of 64 + ties playing at Thorpe in the semis
MA50 and 55 have a total of 31 + ties playing at McPherson in the semis

Asking for a friend who is currently 19th in MA55. :\

Since there are no payouts for the Ams, just trophies, there's no need to have a cut to the "merch" line in the Am divisions, only a cut to a level where players still have a chance to earn a trophy/plaque, even if for 10th place. Looks like the cut for Ams is 20% plus ties. Pros is usually 40% plus ties.

Thanks, I saw the F it did seem weird to me that the tournament would be over by a Friday though. Either way and no matter how it pans out good for him just getting on the lead card makes him a winner in my book haha
If a division is under a certain size, they will be done on Friday with a champion crowned.

Semis and Finals are tomorrow. It isn't over yet.

Congrats to our man Graham, looks like he made the podium in 3rd MP60. Well done sir. Be excited to hear the story next Sunday.
Haha I was premature before... this time for sure right?

(Oooh multiquote, sites looking up)

But congrats to Graham for 3rd!

Since there are no payouts for the Ams, just trophies, there's no need to have a cut to the "merch" line in the Am divisions, only a cut to a level where players still have a chance to earn a trophy/plaque, even if for 10th place. Looks like the cut for Ams is 20% plus ties. Pros is usually 40% plus ties.

Thank you for the reply Chuck. The 20% that you quoted is not how the 2019 AM's world was run. Those divisions had upwards of 39% making it to the semis, depending on the division. Some disc golfers just want more disc golf and not payouts.

https://www.pdga.com/files/2019_pdga_amateur_worlds_course_schedule_v4.pdf

Thank you for the reply Chuck. The 20% that you quoted is not how the 2019 AM's world was run. Those divisions had upwards of 39% making it to the semis, depending on the division. Some disc golfers just want more disc golf and not payouts.

https://www.pdga.com/files/2019_pdga_amateur_worlds_course_schedule_v4.pdf
I get that. I was just indicating the logic the PDGA may have used to justify reducing the Am semi cut percentage from previous higher levels. Hopefully they told the entrants that was the semi cut percentage in advance.

Nice win for Juliana. but wonder how "fun" it is to win by 28 throws? Is she now a 6X ?

Nice win for Juliana. but wonder how "fun" it is to win by 28 throws? Is she now a 6X ?

Well....I can speak a little to that. The rounds with Juliana in Flagstaff were some of the most fun rounds of golf I've played in the past few years. Everyone laughed, congratulated each other on good shots, yelled approval at long putts or near throw-ins, and we had a big group hug after all of us had stepped off the course on the final hole of the final nine.

I would like to think she had fun even if she wasn't exactly pushed after round 3.

Which, unfortunately, is all on me. I was leading the tournament on hole 17 of day one, then she birdied 18 and I hit the band on my par putt. Behind by one. Three tree hits on day two cost me five strokes, and...at that point my mental game suffered a bit knowing I was likely out of it. Instead of throwing freely, knowing I didn't have to keep up with her, I cramped up mentally, and played some mediocre golf after.

Don't get me wrong - JK was going to win this. I don't have any illusions about that. That -9 under round was stunning to watch in person. I am just sorry that I failed to keep it closer, and that's all on me.

I think Joe Rovere won not only because he's really good, but he lives and plays at altitude. Already having that advantage over most other guys in the field had to be good for a few strokes, which turned out to be all he needed.

It's too bad Des didn't play. It would have made for a great showdown between two legit champions. Was she hurt?

I think Joe Rovere won not only because he's really good, but he lives and plays at altitude. Already having that advantage over most other guys in the field had to be good for a few strokes, which turned out to be all he needed.
This is really true. In addition to already have an accommodation to the physical impact of the altitude, the real struggle was disc stability. After a bit of field work and practice rounds, you could start to get the feel for your discs. But, I was never able to really gain the confidence I needed for each throw through. Just that lack of total familiarity with your discs, allowed for a tiny lack of confidence in your throws. I found I definitely gave away a couple strokes a round to this. That is all that is needed to move you further out of contention.

This is really true. In addition to already have an accommodation to the physical impact of the altitude, the real struggle was disc stability. After a bit of field work and practice rounds, you could start to get the feel for your discs. But, I was never able to really gain the confidence I needed for each throw through. Just that lack of total familiarity with your discs, allowed for a tiny lack of confidence in your throws. I found I definitely gave away a couple strokes a round to this. That is all that is needed to move you further out of contention.
Say you had similar opportunity in a year, knowing what you know. What would you do to prepare? Or strategy for play?

The first thing that occurs to me is ti throw as few discs as possible. Limit the learning curve. Thoughts?

Say you had similar opportunity in a year, knowing what you know. What would you do to prepare? Or strategy for play?

The first thing that occurs to me is ti throw as few discs as possible. Limit the learning curve. Thoughts?
Yeah, this was a pretty common strategy, from what I saw. Many of my neutral to stable discs were redundant and were pulled out of the bag. Other than really spending some time at that elevation, I don't know how you approach this. I was able to learn and find discs and throws that worked, but having the confidence to execute, really became a challenge. Add in some wind and a completely foreign terrain and the game became a real puzzle. It was a riot trying to figure it out though.