• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Amateur tournaments. Am I ready?

Discdude1414

Alright right now I am 15 and I have been playing for almost a year. I play close to once a week. I play from the easier tee pads. I usually score about a 3+. I have thought about going into a tournament at my local course just for fun, but just never did. I'm not sure how good the players are going to be and, I don't want to take the fun out of it for the people I play with. Am I even close to entering in any tournaments, and how good are the players in a small local tournament?

Alright right now I am 15 and I have been playing for almost a year. I play close to once a week. I play from the easier tee pads. I usually score about a 3+. I have thought about going into one at my local course just for fun, but just never did. I'm not sure how good the players are going to be and I don't want to take the fun out of it for the people I play with. Am I even close to entering in any tournaments, and how good are the players in a small local tournament?

First of all, without knowing the course you're playing, no one here is going to be able to tell you where your average score stacks up. However, that's really unimportant in the grand scheme of things. Most tournaments have multiple levels of amateur divisions (some include junior divisions as well), so you will surely find one that fits your skill level just fine. In other words, there's no such thing as "I'm not good enough to enter tournaments".

So what you should do once you find out when the next local tournament is is to contact the person or club running the event and ask them where you'll fit best based on your average scores on the course. If anyone will know the answer to that, it's the people running events on that course. Also tell them it's your first time playing a tournament. At the very least, they may offer advice or point you in the direction of where to get advice for what to expect. They might also make sure that you get grouped up with a good "newb" friendly player or two who will gladly help you survive the day without ruining anyone's fun, including your own.

Nothing to lose. Go for it and see how the local scene is. You might do much better or worse then you expect. Lots of good younger players coming up so it could help you see where you align with peers and elder pro level golfers.

Good luck!

It's never too early to play tournaments. Play the lowest division you can and see how you stack up. No matter what keep plugging at it.

Also, from a 19-year-old who has been playing tourneys since he was 15: Don't play junior divisions. It's babysitting, and it isn't fun to only compete against a couple people.

If you've played any type of competitive sport and enjoyed the camaraderie, then you will love playing tournaments. Meeting new people who will become life-long friends is far more important. I started playing in the summer of 2004 and played my first ice bowl in February 2005. Scariest decision I ever made. Got up early on a freezing cold morning, drove to a course I'd never played before, to meet and play with people I'd never met. I'd played random doubles the previous summer, but tournaments were a whole new thing. That day I met about 2-3 dozen guys that I still play tournaments, random draw doubles, and New England Team Challenge matches with ... and it's 12 years later. Best decision I ever made. I was 27 and single then. I'm 38 now, married with two kids, and MANY of those guys have gone through the same changes. That's what disc golf is really about. Enjoying and talking about life with people who are going through the same stuff as you.

How you actually play is secondary. Don't get me wrong, sweating how you will play will keep you up the night before, and how you play will keep you up for several nights after. But the friendships you make will be worth all of those sleepless nights.

Jump in!!!

First have fun, be patient and do not expect to shoot great the first couple of events (you probably will have a few good rounds getting to play with better players) because tournaments are a far contrast from casual rounds. Read the rule book and understand etiquette and be sure you understand using a mini and scoring and set a goal for each round. Also, you may have to wait on some holes which seems to annoy experienced and new players alike so just take it in stride. I suggest to play intermediate because you have a better chance of getting a better understanding of the rules and play with better players. If you tell your cardmates that you are playing your first tournament, most players will understand and help you along the way as well if you listen to them and do not act defensive due to comments and suggestions.

Tons of great advice! And also remember one other thing, there are a LOT of tournament players out there that only wish that they could have started playing tournaments at the age of 15.

Good Luck buddy!:thmbup:

Competed in sports my whole life, I started playing when I was 16, and I played my first tournament when I was 31. I instantly made me tons better. I'd give anything to be able to go back in time and play just 1 Mr. Bill tourney in Omaha in the late 90's or early 00's. I can't even tell you where my game would be now if I would have.

Sooner the better!!

Yep yep yep yep yep. What they said.

Local league play/minis/whatever they call it is a great intermediate step. I'd recommend it, though it's certainly not necessary.

If you're interested in playing tournaments----you're ready to play tournaments.

If you're interested in playing tournaments----you're ready to play tournaments.

^^^^^^. Just jump on in, feet first. The water's warm.

Do NOT stress about anything having to do with etiquette or any of that stuff. Just open your mind, keep your eyes & ears open and have fun.

The 3rd time I ever played DG, I played in a tournament. My buddy said, come on out, play the rec division, you'll have fun and beat at least somebody.

It was great advice. I've been playing for 20 years since that.

Go for it, play your game and don't worry much about where others stack up.