• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Amish Disc Golfers

Kind of makes you wonder if there are any private courses on Amish property. They certainly wouldn't have posted them on here themselves...

I doubt it they are pretty practical with their money and don't really go for extras. at least the ones I know. They do make some amazing pies and cookies though.

I doubt it they are pretty practical with their money and don't really go for extras. at least the ones I know. They do make some amazing pies and cookies though.
Well you would think if there are any, that the baskets/tones are homemade.

kingpin_car.jpg

Come out on tour with me. You could beat Paul and Ricky with one arm tied behind your back.

At my former home course, I would occasionally see three Amish women in full garb, bonnets and all, out throwing a few holes.

Here in eastern Kansas you are more apt to see German Baptists then Amish. They look similar clothes wise, but German Baptists will drive cars and use more modern conveniences like mobile phones.

I've seen couples out playing 3-4 times. Usually 2 guys and 2 girls, or something like that. It's actually kind of cool.

I can't wait to see an amish kid roll up to the course on his pedel-less bike, and start ripping homemade wooden discs.

Definitely a progressive community here. They will ride (not drive) in cars and operate machinery related to their job or farm. Not far away is an more strict community. Very old school.

Daniel threw a 450 foot bomb that almost cleared the pasture until it hit the woods. "Oh Nay!!!" he said with his hands on his head. I can see some of these guys being pro caliber players when they learn control. They haven't been playing very long and I see major improvements.

All joking aside, many Amish communities have some very gifted athletes. I have competed against Amish runners and softball players who were very good. Volleyball is also very popular in many communities.

I guess there's no real reason that some of them wouldn't play disc golf. :)

I can't wait to see an amish kid roll up to the course on his pedel-less bike, and start ripping homemade wooden discs.

I've always wanted a wooden disc. Hopefully, some savvy Amish businessman will make that happen.

I had a hand turned wooden disc as a kid that was a lot like an aviar and loved it. I wish my uncles friend was still alive to make more of them. Wonder what size lathe you would need to make simple turned discs? They would never be legal for play, but could be cool trophies and such.

We have a Mennonite family who has recently gotten into the sport. They came into my shop and bought a bunch of discs, a new ranger bag, and a recruit basket. I'll see them on the course quite a bit, and they're pretty good, but I can't imagine playing in jeans and suspenders in the heat.

Great thread. Thanks everybody for sharing. I happen to be in Goshen Indiana for work right now and have seen quite a few Amish in this and the surrounding communities. I'm actually heading back to the hotel to change and find the closest course. Now I hope to see some Amish so I can share my story on the interwebs.

wow this is pretty cool... esp dropping off some gas to help out! what a good idea

I played half a round with an Amish or Mennonite fellow last year at Roland Park in Lancaster, PA. He was all dressed up and tying his horse to a tree when I got there and asked if I wanted to play, and since I hadn't played this course before was happy too and we had a good time.

My guess is Flywood wasn't able to keep enough orders to stay in business. I've got one of their putters, and it's definitely one of the coolest/most unique discs in my collection. It's more durable than you'd expect, it flies well, and it makes the craziest sound hitting the chains. However, I doubt you'd want to use it in the rain or cold, it has no grip for gripping the chains, and they're not PDGA legal. That last one is a big issue for a disc company.

Sometimes, I like to keep it in my bag without telling anyone. Then, partway through a round I'll pull it out and putt with it just to scare the crap out of the people standing around the basket. :)

Latest posts