• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ANHYZER?

i was sort of just thinking about this in a different manner. i remember watching this Discraft forehand drive clinic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOECjLjhiTI and wondered how the hell the discs go right out of their hands when throwin anhyzers out of their hands. But then i thought could it be the camera angle creating this sensation? I've watched ball golf on tv over the years and have come to terms when Tiger Woods or anyone hits a shot it looks like they shanked it and its going right, but no it's right down the middle. - If there's no funny camera stuff going on - how the HELL do they throw like that? and with what discs?

For me at least the two main things I think about is where I step with my front foot and the extra spin needed. I am a right handed thrower. So when I do a forehand anhyzer I step to the right on my last step. With some practice the disc will actually break back to the left lined up with your front foot. If that makes sense. The extra spin is really just all wrist. It feels at least like the disc leaves my hand slightly earlier. I have noticed that it takes a little more angle to throw an anhyzer forehand then backhand. That might help out. Really a tough shot to master. I still get some wild ones coming out every now and then.

I almost exclusively throw forehand shots with destroyers and wraiths. They "S" out for extra distance when needed. If it is shorter I have gotten so use to them that I can judge pretty accurately so that they hit the ground before turning back. Also if I am trying to get it to "S" out I put a little less spin. If I want it to go into the ground without coming back I put more spin.

Really any stable disc is good. I think personally you are better off with a heavier one on a shot like this though. They seem to hold the line better for me at least and my judgement on the disc spin is better.

Last edited:
I am a right handed forearm thorwer so that is why i asked but the discs i normally use for my drives is a 168 pulse or a 175 flick. but i just got a new disc i saw on discraft's website that said it was good for a forehand anhyzer. its called the tracker.

all the reviews of the tracker say its a longer Buzzz - so it probably holds it's line pretty well. I'm guessing to throw an anhyzer FH with a tracker - we'd need to ease off on the power considerably. Normal FH discs are so overstable that they resist the high speed turn (i use Xcals and a Flick) - throwing them with anhyzer won't do a whole lot because they can't keep an anhyzer line.

all the reviews of the tracker say its a longer Buzzz - so it probably holds it's line pretty well. I'm guessing to throw an anhyzer FH with a tracker - we'd need to ease off on the power considerably. Normal FH discs are so overstable that they resist the high speed turn (i use Xcals and a Flick) - throwing them with anhyzer won't do a whole lot because they can't keep an anhyzer line.

Very true ragarding the really overstable discs. I've been trying my hand with a 169 Z Flick for the last week and I really have to snap that thing hard with serious anhyzer just to keep it from sailing wide right. It's the most overstable pig I've ever tossed. The nice thing about it is that it is the only disc in my bag that wont turn into an unplanned FH roller when released with less than perfect form.

yeah its unbelievable how overstable the flick is - you can seriously throw 3/4 arm angle and it still wont turn into a roller.

all i have to worry about is keeping the nose down and throw as hard as possible - otherwise it goes way up and way left and is horrible. When it goes straight it is a laser and then quickly dies.
My Xcal flies just like it but gets much more glide as it slows down

i

Yeah the flick is a laser straight disc and has a very good skip at the end of it. I use it for a hole here where i live where the pin is at the bottem of a hill and i hit he ground right before the hill and it skips down it close to the pin.another good disc is the Xcaliber. it is really overstable but is perfect for a straight forehand drive for me. and well i tried the tracker and it is good for an anhyzer you just have to torqe on it to get it to keep the line.

I tried the destroyer once and it went to far left before it cam back it was not a anhyzer it was to uncontrolable for me.

I think it all depends on the strength, grip and angle of your throw. Ask some friends if you can throw some of their plastic in a field, but retrieve them, of course.

I use an Archangel and a Monarch, they both hold a long arc thru the Anhyzer, and then both predictablly flatten out at the end...