• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Another Trip To KC

dudiablo

Par Member
After taking a short weekend trip to KC last spring, I was able to free up an extended weekend for a DG trip to KC from Stl. The girlfriend is in Columbia so I will HAVE to stop there for a day (lucky me they have 1 decent course in town) then a buddy and I are hitting the road to what seemed to be the closest cluster of highly ranked courses within 200 miles.

I have been fortunate enough to enjoy a bit of success on the long courses so seeing a course like Blue Valley has me foaming at the mouth to see some discs fly. I just played Sioux Passage in north STL today and it was a great round, but I'd liked to see what KC does with some length and elevation.

My buddy on the other hand is a Noodle arm and has just gotten into playing in the last 4 or 5 months. Figured the Rosedale courses would be a little more up his alley. Last time I was in town I was under the impression they get pretty packed on weekends and after work hours so I guess that one is going to have to be a week day round or 2.

I was also fortunate enough to play Water Works last time I was in town and I cant imagine a better way to end the mini road trip than to hit that beauty. Its kinda a goal of mine to hit all new courses but it would be a shame to be in KC and not play that course again.

Anyone have any words of wisdom as to why something like kliffdrive or swope should hop on the list in place of or in addition to the aforementioned?

Despite the location, Swope Park is a well designed course and deffinately worth the visit if you don't mind taking the detour to get there. I've only played cliff drive once a long time ago and I honestly don't remember much about it. But for your friend I would definately hit Water Works again and Swope of you have the time (just avoid the bathrooms, you'll understand). Since you will be downtown you should stop by Disc Golf World and take a look around, pretty sweet place.

Blue Valley will surely test yor fitness as the holes are all pretty long and if I remember right, it took me and three buddies 4 hours or so to finish so make sure you have plenty of time!

If you want a good challenge, on your way in to KC hit up Wilbur young DGC in Blue springs, it's probably the hardest course I've had a chance to play. May be a little out of the way but despite the difficulty it's a lot of fun to play.

Some of the other minor courses you could check out is Prarie Center Park in Olathe and shawnee mission. These two aren't as good as water works or swope but they both give something a little different and are two of the more heavily used courses because of their location. and if you are really desperate to play as much as you can, you could drive 30 minutes west to Lawrence, KS and i could give you the rundown of Centennial Park, the course we have here.

Otherwise, post on here when and how long you are planning on being in town, if it works out for me I'd be happy to join you two for a round or two. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Wyco is nice if you like to bomb and would be to hard on noodle arm. Blue Valley also has a new set up to make it shorter, its still long but more manageable if you cant throw 1000 feet. Olathe is fun, Water Works awesome and Young is a good challenge.

I would reccomend adding Kessler Park (Cliff Drive).
Old Pike Country club is a great, somewhat challenging course with some good variety and would be my second choice to Cliff. Swope can be a lot of fun with a little elevation but is pretty easy in some layouts and can make for a "feel good" round at best on some days. Shawnee mission is a pretty underrated course in the area that I play almost every time I'm in town, but also never seems to balance out quite right with the pin changes.

Shawnee mission is a pretty underrated course in the area that I play almost every time I'm in town, but also never seems to balance out quite right with the pin changes.

Yea, they don't change the pins much because the park owners want to make it a good starter course that you can play over and over again to learn the basics of the game without having to worry about the different pin locations. The balance of the course is good until you hit the holes 12-16, there's not much variation between those five holes except for trees being used as different obstacles.

BUT! It's worth a try especially for your friend.

If you want a good challenge, on your way in to KC hit up Wilbur young DGC in Blue springs, it's probably the hardest course I've had a chance to play. May be a little out of the way but despite the difficulty it's a lot of fun to play.
^ This.

you should play Cliff Drive
^ This too.

Its a bit off I-70, but on the way in from STL, if you don't mind a slight detour check out the two courses at Indian Foothills Park in Marshall, MO. Lots of woods and elevation. I haven't made my way there since they installed the second course, but I'm hearing great things about the upgrade.

The courses in Marshall, MO are definitely worth playing. I played both courses last weekend and they are very challenging.

The new course has about 4-5 longggg signature holes as well.

I was HOPING someone would suggest to hit those marshall courses. They appear to have some good ratings and reviews, but the reviews also seem to be limited (I cant imagine there are a WHOLE lot of disc golfers in marshall to stack their reviews.)

I was able to play prairie center last time i was in olathe and that was a really fun round for multi-use park golf.

Wilbur Young is also looking pretty interesting, for the trip back out of town. I hope time and weather permits a LOT of discing next week.

Will update with potential round times/ analysis of the trip.

I'm not from the area, but didn't the KC people just put in a big 3 or 4 dg course complex just north of KC at Smithville lake??? That might take an entire day to check out... maybe the locals can expand on it a bit..

Well my trip through KC was a success. We hit Willbur Young on the way in town. That was a FUN course. Seemed to be set up really well, very clean, long and short holes, well marked. Cant say enough good about that one. Highlight of the round was on the hole that shoots down a tunnel towards a lake, where the basket is just off to the right of the lake. I got cocky and tried to just clear the lake, and released way too low, the disc went right through the rungs on the walk way out to the dock, skipped 2 times on the lake and landed on the far bank. Made par, but by far the most exciting moment of the round.

The next day we made it to disc golf world, where we were blown away by the selection. The clerk was nice enough to give us the mini tour to the back where there where TOWERS of discs. Amazing.

From there we made it up to Waterworks, and it again impressed, and was probably the most memorable course of the trip. Loved it, and loved the weather.

Grabbed some lunch and made our way over to Cliff Drive. The guy at disc golf world told us to bail on Blue Valley, and to give Cliff Drive a shot. We were lucky enough to be starting the same time as a local was was kind enough to show us around the very interesting course. Its like a tale of 2 courses out there, but its a lotta fun. We were told by the guy showing us around that there were a lot of people who would toss a disc off the ledge before the 9th hole and try to land on the island below, so I was inclined to donate a beat to hell viper to the lake. I will upload the video later.

The next day we played the 2 rosedale courses. In the AM we hit "Up Top" and in the PM we went "Down Under" with a session of great KC bbq at oklahoma joe's between the rounds. "Up Top" was fun, but wasnt anything amazing. It was set up well but didn't really blow me away.

"Down Under" I was able to ring an ACE on the 3rd hole with a San Marino Roc that I just put back in the bag as I was leaving STL. So glad I did, so now it has the signature of my noodle arm buddy, and a kind local tour guide who was showing us around the tough little course. I loved the course (even though I love airing out a disc) and really let the putters and mids do the talking. Must say that the highlight had to be the ACE, but the "Lion King" hole (11 I think?) was a close second, that hole is just sweet.

All in all a great trip, and thanks for the input! KC locals are very lucky to have such a good dg following. Keep it up KC!!!

Latest posts