• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Another Wind Question

hendersondayton

Eagle Member
The attached image is #3 at HAHFairborn. I also attached an image of the tee sign.

It is roughly 100' out to the opening. The wind typically is either blowing SE (if the TeePad is facing North) or NW.

I understand most of the discussions have been about throwing in Wind in the open, but how would you deal with the wind of the first 100' is all calm and then, 100' out you get a SE or NW wind?

As a side note, i throw around 300'..so i don't really have much arm strength...most of my shots on this hole are flat shots that fall left...nice for the hole line...not much distance.

Attachments

• Hole3_02_ShortTee.jpg
    Hole3_02_ShortTee.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 59
  • TeeSign_Hole3.jpg
    TeeSign_Hole3.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I'd personally release with just a bit of hyzer (rhbh) because then the wind will either have minimal effect if its hitting the top of the disc, or blow you around the curve you need already from the other side.

My D is about like yours, maybe a little less, so I'd throw dead flat with a Teebird, try to get it out to where the bend starts, and not wory about the wind at all.

The tailwind you mentioned and the elevated teepad should help it hook up once you punch it out into the open. I would want to throw a neutral flying driver on hyzer there. Probably an Avenger for me.

just take a teebird and throw it out straight if the wind is SE it will hold a bit longer if NW it will fade out sooner. you could throw a wraith too.

The TeeBird/Leopard is what I usually throw. It gets me out to my 300' nicely but the look into the basket is another 50' to 75'. I usually end up at the corner.

I attached an image of the look at the basket...In order to get that look you really have to throw around 350'.

Attachments

• Hole3_03_Approach.jpg
    Hole3_03_Approach.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 25
Probably throw a beat Pred or Force on a very slight hyzer as low as possible and play the hard skip up into the cove, regardless of which way the wind was blowing. The forehand roller seems a little dicey since a stiff gust could put your short left with no look at the basket.

With a SE (head/cross) wind throw with a touch more hyzer on the Teebird.

With a NW (tail/cross) wind throw the Teebird flatter with a bit more height (but don't get nose-up on it), or throw a slightly more neutral disc (EL or stalker ballpark)

If you can't reach the pin anyway - it looks like there's room on the right so pick the line on your drive that allows you to have the best look through the trees (get wider)

Probably throw a beat Pred or Force on a very slight hyzer as low as possible and play the hard skip up into the cove, regardless of which way the wind was blowing. The forehand roller seems a little dicey since a stiff gust could put your short left with no look at the basket.

This would also be a good idea, though if he only throws 300' I'd go with an Eagle-X on the skip shot, juice it line drive on a just ever so slight hyzer angle towards the middle of the fairway and let it flare over for the extra 20-30'.

This would also be a good idea, though if he only throws 300' I'd go with an Eagle-X on the skip shot, juice it line drive on a just ever so slight hyzer angle towards the middle of the fairway and let it flare over for the extra 20-30'.

This is the second or third time someone suggested an Eagle-X to me as a good HW disc for my power level. I was also told a Firebird would be great too.

It seems like my best throw so far when the wind was NW was with a Star Leopard. I was able to get that thing out to where I could see the basket better but not the 325+ I really need to get an open second shot.

My Leopard however just goes straight when the wind is blowing SE...or even blows a little further right on me without much fade back at the end.

I have a brand new ZSurgeSS. I would imagine that will not do it?

I prefer to throw ESP discs for rollers. They have slightly more stiffness than the Z plastic. When I roll a Z I sometimes get a bounce or a "boing" on the initial hit on the ground that sometimes causes a change in direction. I might just be nutz.

in the OP: The Tee is facing North. With a NW wind I would throw a Firebird~flat. With the wind SE I would use a beat Tee-Bird or beat Viking~hyzer flip. I push around 320' max

Good Luck on your game. & Remember to "Keep on Keep'n on"

This is the second or third time someone suggested an Eagle-X to me as a good HW disc for my power level. I was also told a Firebird would be great too.

Eagle-X's handle moderate headwinds phenomenally, throw on slight hyzer and it holds, or will go straight and not flip when released flat.

Latest posts