• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Any opinions on this grip?

I'm new to disc golf (playing a little over a month) and have been trying out a lot of new things to see what feels and works best. I had been trying to use what I think is a power grip where all four pads of my fingers were on the rim, but I wasn't comfortable with it and was not pleased with the outcomes. It lacked in distance and accuracy.

Today, I was throwing like usual and decided to do a rough measurement on my throws and was coming out with about 200 to 230 feet max on my driver (Valkyrie) and 170-185 ft on my putter (Birdie). I decided to switch it up and just practice with my putters (Birdie and Nova) and my midrange (Shark). I was still not pleased and just decided to grab the disc comfortably. I'm still getting used to my walk-up as I have recently been practicing an x-step instead of a long walk-up with a hop, but right off the bat I noticed a difference in flight pattern, distance, and accuracy.
I grabbed it just like before and noticed it was sort of a fan grip with the pad of my index finger as the only one on the rim and the other fingers fanned out comfortably. With the new grip, I was ripping the midrange farther than I was driving earlier at around 230 and even once out to 245 before the sun went down. They were flying smooth and didn't have a severe hyzer shape like before.

I know a lot of this stuff is individual preference, but any opinions of this grip or things I could try with it?
Will Post Pictures shortly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Need to have a second finger under the rim, either middle finger/Robbie's 2 finger, or MJ's fan grip with pinky. The disc is seated too far into the back of your palm and thumb too into the middle of the disc. Max power thumb position is on the inside edge of the rim through the flight plate(where they meet) or between your index and middle finger. Try Robbie's grip and feel the difference of the pressure in the hand and how to control/power the disc with it. I use the same grip as MJ, but it was Robbie's grip that was the foundation for it, they are really the same grip to me index/thumb wise, just different on the other fingers.

"Try Robbie's grip and feel the difference of the pressure in the hand and how to control/power the disc with it. I use the same grip as MJ, but it was Robbie's grip that was the foundation for it"

Alright. I'll try them both right now.

So I did try both Robbie's and MJs grips. I know it was only the first time trying them but I can definitely say that I was not comfortable with Robbie's grip. They produced the worst throws I've ever thrown. They wobbled through the air and just dropped out of flight.

However, I realized MJs is actually very similar to what I was using. All I had to do to change the grip was grip it like in my picture and then pull the disc away from my palm until my pinkie touched the rim. The index finger stayed like it did before and the middle and ring finger stayed fanned. These threw pretty well and infinitely better compared to Robbie's grip. I spent the morning trying out MJs grip and the original grip but tweaked it a little bit. On the original grip, I moved the thumb towards the rim like suggested.

MJs grip is a pretty comfortable grip and I'll continue to practice with it and see how it goes, but I will say I'm not sure if I'm doing it completely right because I'm still getting 20-30 feet farther on the one index finger on the rim than the pinkie and index. I even had 2 throws push out to 260 with the midrange using just the index on the rim. Will definitely have to keep practicing both.

For what its worth I use the (nearly) exact grip you posted for all of my putters when I drive with them, and some mid ranges. Can you use this grip for everything? Yes, I suppose. I can throw about 330' with a stingray using that grip. But I only use the grip when I can't get a comfortable three finger grip on the rim.

For what its worth I use the (nearly) exact grip you posted for all of my putters when I drive with them, and some mid ranges. Can you use this grip for everything? Yes, I suppose. I can throw about 330' with a stingray using that grip. But I only use the grip when I can't get a comfortable three finger grip on the rim.

Just curious since you use a similar grip occasionally, what kind of three finger grip do you use when you use drivers?

So I did try both Robbie's and MJs grips. I know it was only the first time trying them but I can definitely say that I was not comfortable with Robbie's grip. They produced the worst throws I've ever thrown. They wobbled through the air and just dropped out of flight.

However, I realized MJs is actually very similar to what I was using. All I had to do to change the grip was grip it like in my picture and then pull the disc away from my palm until my pinkie touched the rim. The index finger stayed like it did before and the middle and ring finger stayed fanned. These threw pretty well and infinitely better compared to Robbie's grip. I spent the morning trying out MJs grip and the original grip but tweaked it a little bit. On the original grip, I moved the thumb towards the rim like suggested.

MJs grip is a pretty comfortable grip and I'll continue to practice with it and see how it goes, but I will say I'm not sure if I'm doing it completely right because I'm still getting 20-30 feet farther on the one index finger on the rim than the pinkie and index. I even had 2 throws push out to 260 with the midrange using just the index on the rim. Will definitely have to keep practicing both.
Your grip will likely evolve over the years, it took me several. Your wobble issue is related to your form. The power from your swing is not being directed into the side of the rim and the flight trajectory/apex. Your fan grip is having to compensate likely for a downward swing while angling the nose up at release, so swing plane and disc are "X" instead of "//".

See first set of pics:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

Just curious since you use a similar grip occasionally, what kind of three finger grip do you use when you use drivers?

powergrip03.jpg

Your grip will likely evolve over the years, it took me several. Your wobble issue is related to your form. The power from your swing is not being directed into the side of the rim and the flight trajectory/apex. Your fan grip is having to compensate likely for a downward swing while angling the nose up at release, so swing plane and disc are "X" instead of "//".

The swing plane could be an issue. I'll have to try and film myself and see if that's happening