• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Any players in Chicago IL?

bgrooters1

What's up gentlemen?

Looking to throw with some cool*, good players in the Chicago area. Get at me if you're interested.

- Brady
(616) 723-2608

So I'm going to resurrect an admittedly rather old thread here. Being one of those players out in the Chicago burbs, do any of you have recommendations on how to find anyone to play with out here? When I lived in Lexington, KY there was a much stronger DG community with leagues, clubs etc. than I've found in the Chicago area. Perhaps there is more going on than I realize but the courses always seem dead by comparison here and I usually play alone.

So I'm going to resurrect an admittedly rather old thread here. Being one of those players out in the Chicago burbs, do any of you have recommendations on how to find anyone to play with out here? When I lived in Lexington, KY there was a much stronger DG community with leagues, clubs etc. than I've found in the Chicago area. Perhaps there is more going on than I realize but the courses always seem dead by comparison here and I usually play alone.

Seems like a lot of the action heads to Joliet, WI, or IN on weekends...at least that was the case several years ago.

Maybe hit up Aces and Chains in Joliet for some info on local(ish) leagues, tourneys, etc.

There's always a lot of people playing at Highland, The Canyons, West Park, and Trinity so perhaps you could meet peeps on the course.

Agreed, there is much more action in the Joliet/Lockport area - and with good reason, the courses are way better than where I'm at.

^Where in the burbs are you at?

I'm in Wheaton, so west suburbs. I do travel around (down to Lockport/Joliet, out west more, up to the NW suburbs by work) to some degree but since I have little kids at home I don't do it all the time.

I'm in the same boat. Between kids and work, I don't get out as much as I'd like. Apologies if any of the below is out of date.

The western burbs is/was somewhat of a dead zone for organized DG. There used to be weekly leagues at the two Lombard courses; as far as I know they are still going. I don't know if they have an online presence; I would usually see league info posted at the courses.

There is a strong scene a bit southwest of you in the Oswego/Aurora area. Fox Valley Metro DG club holds leagues. A bit northeast, Discontinuum was a very active club. There should be a few weekly leagues up in the Lake county area.

The Illinois Open Series is an excellent PDGA sanctioned tournament series that stops at courses all over the Chicago area. Very well run tourneys; I can't recommend them strongly enough.

^Forgot Streamwood Disc Golf Union (or something similar to that). Streamwood isn't too far from you. I believe they run leagues as well.

Thanks for all the info, Countchunkula. That Illinois Open Series holds a lot of events, I'll have to try to get in one once I accept embarrassing myself again.

I'll look into some of these others, it's nice to hear there is some stuff going on. I was in Hoffman Estates today and the course was one of the busiest I've seen lately (outside of Lockport anyways).

There is a lot going on in the Chicago area. You can find a lot of it on some of the various club facebook groups. Here is a short list off the top of my head near you and their general area
Skulls - Geneva
Disc Golfers Union - Streamwood
Bird Brain - Elgin
Fox Valley Metro - Oswego
J-town - Joliet / Lockport
Chain Seekers of Illinois - Joliet area
Basket Cases - south suburbs
Discontinuum - Lake County
There are also leagues at KLM in Hinsdale. Wednesday nights right now, moves to Saturday I believe late fall.

Every weekend there are one or more PDGA tournaments going on.

I'm up in the Logan Square neighborhood and am fairly addicted to it, but I don't own a car, so I find places and ways to throw at my Traveller basket.
Have not been out to the suburbs to throw in ages, and McCormick place doesn't really interest me enough (course wise) to devote the time it takes to head over there.
ITT was marginally better, and has Pilsen to get through on my way. But, it was down to 6 holes last year and the new building construction closing 3 holes off permanently made the rest of courses days seem numbered.

Ironically it seems I've found the dead zone in the Chicago suburbs for courses (ok, we have some pretty close to me, but they're pretty lame) and leagues. I'm not sure if the Lombard ones are still going on but that would be the closest. Sounds like there's lots around but it's just about everywhere but right where I am. Oh well, no further than I drive to play all the courses in those respective areas :). Thanks again guys for all the additional info.

A number of years ago there was some unfortunate friction that forced the Lombard leagues to move elsewhere.

^That's right, I had forgotten about the Madison Meadows drama. As of last summer, they were still doing a small league night at the Commons, though. That was my home course until I moved 15 miles south last fall.

Guh. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5640
It's off of McCormick, and like Touhy.
Really straight forward 9 hole 3 discs is enough course. With it being along a city park that gets a fair amount of bike, and ambulatory use. It's about control, and/or some patience.

OK. When you said McCormick Place, I was thinking THE McCormick Place down by Soldier Field.

I have played the North Shore Channel Trail course several times. My mother in law used to live over there. Totally not worth the drive from anywhere on a day with half way decent weather because of the bikers and walkers. It was kinda fun to make up some safari holes on the way back towards #1.