• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Any way to fix chips/divots in discs?

pr0phetx

I have a Star Katana with a relatively big chip on the top of the flight plate near the inner rim. It's about a 1/2 cm long, 1/4 cm wide and a few mm deep. I was wondering if any of you know any simple fixes. Obviously I understand its no longer going to be PDGA approved but its kinda bugging me every time I see it.

If you don't care about keeping PDGA legal, you could fill the dings/divots with superglue and sand it smooth with really fine sandpaper/emery cloth (kinda like Bondo). Personally, I'd just live with it or replace it.

in my experience, divots in discs aren't a bad thing. Ive always heard they give the disc more glide as it flies.

But, if you really wanna patch it up you can heat the spot up with a lighter for a sec and smooth it out with your fingers. Just be as quick as possible with the lighter though as you dont want it to melt too much. I know you can mend dx and pro plastic, but I'm not sure how well it works on star. maybe you can give it a shot an a back-up disc first.

I used to repair plastics (and leather and vinyl) as a profession and both the super glue+ sanding and the heat methods are approved. Though, I used to melt in new plastic when using the heat method, but try a little heat first to help relax the stressed plastic and if it doesn't "come back" enough for you then let it cool and do the super glue method. Let it cool because heat and superglue don't mix...it creates a vapor that is NOT fun to get in your eye, and probably not a good idea to breathe in, so just work with cold plastic when using super glue...and don't try to heat super glue up.

I'm newer to the sport and don't play in tourneys yet, so I'm curious; if you heat the plastic up and don't use super glue, would it still be legal?

And as to dings adding more glide, I read that the smaller ones create pits of air that blah science blah more glide. But something that size is probably too big and will create drag, more than likely.

But, if you really wanna patch it up you can heat the spot up with a lighter for a sec and smooth it out with your fingers. Just be as quick as possible with the lighter though as you dont want it to melt too much. I know you can mend dx and pro plastic, but I'm not sure how well it works on star. maybe you can give it a shot an a back-up disc first.

The chip is on top of the disc near the flight plate and I would be afraid to burn a hole all the way through the disc. Plus its a pretty big divot that needs some sort of filler. I have used the lighter method on chips and dings on the rim from hitting trees and concrete and it works pretty well.

I'll probably end up trying the super glue method. Do any of you have any idea of a specific brand? I know some super glues are reactive to certain plastics/materials.

I used to repair plastics (and leather and vinyl) as a profession and both the super glue+ sanding and the heat methods are approved. Though, I used to melt in new plastic when using the heat method, but try a little heat first to help relax the stressed plastic and if it doesn't "come back" enough for you then let it cool and do the super glue method. Let it cool because heat and superglue don't mix...it creates a vapor that is NOT fun to get in your eye, and probably not a good idea to breathe in, so just work with cold plastic when using super glue...and don't try to heat super glue up.

I'm newer to the sport and don't play in tourneys yet, so I'm curious; if you heat the plastic up and don't use super glue, would it still be legal?

And as to dings adding more glide, I read that the smaller ones create pits of air that blah science blah more glide. But something that size is probably too big and will create drag, more than likely.

Good advice!
No it would not be legal for tourney play because the disc has been altered.

Heat the area with a lighter and then mold back in to place with fingers.

The chip is on top of the disc near the flight plate and I would be afraid to burn a hole all the way through the disc. Plus its a pretty big divot that needs some sort of filler. I have used the lighter method on chips and dings on the rim from hitting trees and concrete and it works pretty well.

Hmm. yeah, ive only repaired dings on the rim so im definitely not sure how the lighter would work on the flight plate. Im curious to see your results. Keep us posted!

There's nothing wrong with the flight of the disc. Its like a scab and you're a 6 year-old----leave it alone.

It's not about the discs flight, it's purely cosmetic.

Anyways, I ended up just using the disc as a test run for dyeing. It's actually floating in the dye as I type this. If it turns out well, I will test out the superglue idea.

So-----its cosmetic. Leave it alone, and stop being a fashionista. I guarantee you will screw it up 9as far as you're concerned] with the glue. $5 says you ignore this advice, and refuse to admit later that you are unhappy with your repair.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with the flight of the disc. Its like a scab and you're a 6 year-old----leave it alone.

I agree. I usually just cut out rough spots with a razor blade, and file them smooth again. The nicks, cuts, and gouges are a disc's battle scars. No need to hide them.

I use my dog's electric nail filer. It has sandpaper on the end of it that files down the disc nicely.

I like my discs dinged up and hairy. Really doesn't seem to matter much. Just snip the long flapper chunks so they don't mess with the feel of the grip. You'd be surprised at the damage I've seen on discs that I mailed back to folks. They still wanted them back. There are a lot of different standards for what people call 'broken in'.

Latest posts