• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anybody Else Like Flexing Upshots?

I absoultely throw anny forehands for my approach shots. As a lefty, sometimes it is the favorable line. The best part about it is the fact that i trust my shot to land flat and not roll or skip on me.

The negative, i can sometimes get in a bad habit when i throw forehand drives after throwing many anny forehand upshots in the round.

Yep, I use that shot quite a bit. Depends on the hole, but a nose up anhyzer stall out shot saves me a bunch of strokes. I lets me run at the basket without blowing past it like I typically do with a hyzer approach. Gator seems like it would be a bit too fast/overstable for me. I feel like I would have to really turn it over or throw much harder to get the same distance/line. I just use a rhyno.

Nope. Don't like it. If I need to throw that kind of shot I'll switch to throwing lhfh instead of rhbh almost every time, and I'll do it with my lid. Just toss it up on the right angle and watch it glide.

Sometimes I have to, and that's fine. It looks beautiful when it pans to flat and settles down gently.

That's a flex shot my friend.

I know this is a technical/splitting hairs/correct vs. local vernacular response but... a "flex shot" is any shot where the disc flexes. Flexing a disc is during the high speed turn where you turn it over/stand it up. Technically you can flex a disc in any type of throw so long as you overpower the discs stability. What most people refer to as a "flex shot" is really a distance anhyzer. I do like anhyzering overstable discs for an approach at times, but more often than not, I'm throwing my Harp on an anhyzer for a nice floaty landing or to get around a tree.

Last edited:
^You're wrong. Anhyzering an overstable disc making it turn when it normally would not is a flex shot. Having an understable disc turn and then fade is NOT a flex shot. Flex shots are seldom used for max distance do I don't know what you're talking about:doh:

If I overpower a Leopard for instance that isn't a flex shot...it's either a hyzerflip (if released with hyzer) or a turnover (released flat). An anhyzer with an overpowered Leopard would be, well, a roller.

Your Harp example is a flex shot.

^You're wrong. Anhyzering an overstable disc making it turn when it normally would not is a flex shot. Having an understable disc turn and then fade is NOT a flex shot. Flex shots are seldom used for max distance do I don't know what you're talking about:doh:

If I overpower a Leopard for instance that isn't a flex shot...it's either a hyzerflip (if released with hyzer) or a turnover (released flat). An anhyzer with an overpowered Leopard would be, well, a roller.

Your Harp example is a flex shot.

I knew someone would argue this with me. Nope, I'm not wrong. I know you don't know what I'm talking about because it's an issue with terminology. I'll dig up the info, but even Avery Jenkins refers to it as a distance anhyzer. I had the same reaction you just did when I was first corrected, but the fact is that I was corrected. It's like saying we play Frisbee golf. We don't use Frisbees, but it's easier to accept that definition because it's widely accepted.

Watch Mc3stripes throw. He often throws slight flex shots for upshots and even drives. Of course he has all shots in his arsenal, but I think he prefers that "touch flex" or whatever you want to call it for many shots.

I knew someone would argue this with me. Nope, I'm not wrong. I know you don't know what I'm talking about because it's an issue with terminology. I'll dig up the info, but even Avery Jenkins refers to it as a distance anhyzer. I had the same reaction you just did when I was first corrected, but the fact is that I was corrected. It's like saying we play Frisbee golf. We don't use Frisbees, but it's easier to accept that definition because it's widely accepted.

No, I'm not. If I throw my Drone anhyzer on a roughly 100'-150' approach and it fades [flexes] that is NOT a distance anhyzer. Plain and simple...if I'm throwing a Cannon or something similar for a 500' field shot that's a different story.

I don't care if god himself appeared in front of me and called that Drone example a distance anhyzer...I'd tell him he's wrong too.

Nope. Don't like it. If I need to throw that kind of shot I'll switch to throwing lhfh instead of rhbh almost every time, and I'll do it with my lid. Just toss it up on the right angle and watch it glide.

Sometimes I have to, and that's fine. It looks beautiful when it pans to flat and settles down gently.

I've been thinking about trying some off-hand shots. Would be very useful in rare situations. Forehand, in particular, since they're so useful at getting around stuff.

my rhbh and my lhfh are actually both my "on" hands.

my LHBH and my RHFH are my off hands, lol. i'd rather just throw rhbh/rhfh - i'd be a much better DG'er. LHFH is very useful for a lot of stuff though, including the shot BFG is talking about.

No, I'm not. If I throw my Drone anhyzer on a roughly 100'-150' approach and it fades [flexes] that is NOT a distance anhyzer. Plain and simple...if I'm throwing a Cannon or something similar for a 500' field shot that's a different story.

I don't care if god himself appeared in front of me and called that Drone example a distance anhyzer...I'd tell him he's wrong too.

I understand perfectly well what you're saying a flex shot is. I'm talking about the difference between a flex and a fade. There are a few threads dissecting the term.

Flex shot is an anhyzer release on an overstable disc that "flexes" one way then back with a hard fade. (I know you aren't supposed to use the name in the definition but oh well)

I would use like an esp force, or for innova people, the Xcal for this.

It helps to keep an open mind bud. I'll let you argue who's right about disc golf with God and and I'll relax on the course.

I do this on almost all my upshots. I use a really overstable proto star Roc3 and a flat champ Gator when it's windy. Very predictable release on a standstill throw, ultra predictable flight pattern due to the overstability of the discs used, and most importantly a soft finishing shot. I hate relying on/factoring in skip. I want the shot to come to as complete a stop as possible once it hits the ground or if anything slide forward in the direction of the throw. I end up with a lot of tap ins. This is the strongest part of my game and is due to this flight pattern.

I do this on almost all my upshots. I use a really overstable proto star Roc3 and a flat champ Gator when it's windy. Very predictable release on a standstill throw, ultra predictable flight pattern due to the overstability of the discs used, and most importantly a soft finishing shot. I hate relying on/factoring in skip. I want the shot to come to as complete a stop as possible once it hits the ground or if anything slide forward in the direction of the throw. I end up with a lot of tap ins. This is the strongest part of my game and is due to this flight pattern.

^^^ This!

Only if the line calls for it, which is very rare, especially on open courses. Normally I like going straight at it.

Innova defines a flex shot as:

"A Flex Shot is performed by throwing an overstable disc with an anhyzer angle of release down the left side of the fairway (for RHBH thrower). The disc travels from left to right then the overstability of the disc turns the disc back to the left. It is a very common shot that pros use."

A little vague, but it doesn't seem to differentiate between a drive and an upshot. Personally, If I were throwing a drive anhyzer with an overstable disc, I wouldn't think of it as a flex shot, more just an anny. Also, I don't agree with their statement that the disc turns back to the left - it certainly can, but where this shot proves most valuable to me is when I keep it low enough, or give it enough gyroscopic stability from spin that it never comes back at all. Instead, it lands flat and skids to a stop. I guess the real question is what is the 'flex' in a flex shot. It starts out overcoming the natural overstability of the disc, then either fades back or lands flat depending on technique and intent. To me, 'flex' means basically the same as 'bend', so I think the reason it's called a flex shot is it takes a shot that would normally go straight then finish left and flexes or ends it so it behaves more like an understable disc than the stable disc it actually is. Kind of like a hyzer flip takes an understable disc and bends it into a more stable flight pattern. But that's not to say a flex shot is the reverse of hyzer flip - it's very different.

"A Flex Shot is performed by throwing an overstable disc with an anhyzer angle of release down the left side of the fairway (for RHBH thrower). The disc travels from left to right then the overstability of the disc turns the disc back to the left. It is a very common shot that pros use."

A little vague, but it doesn't seem to differentiate between a drive and an upshot. Personally, If I were throwing a drive anhyzer with an overstable disc, I wouldn't think of it as a flex shot, more just an anny. Also, I don't agree with their statement that the disc turns back to the left - it certainly can, but where this shot proves most valuable to me is when I keep it low enough, or give it enough gyroscopic stability from spin that it never comes back at all. Instead, it lands flat and skids to a stop. I guess the real question is what is the 'flex' in a flex shot. It starts out overcoming the natural overstability of the disc, then either fades back or lands flat depending on technique and intent. To me, 'flex' means basically the same as 'bend', so I think the reason it's called a flex shot is it takes a shot that would normally go straight then finish left and flexes or ends it so it behaves more like an understable disc than the stable disc it actually is. Kind of like a hyzer flip takes an understable disc and bends it into a more stable flight pattern. But that's not to say a flex shot is the reverse of hyzer flip - it's very different.

I could have been a little more clear with my initial reply, but I always think if the Innova definition. I agree with you though a flex shot is different than an anhyzer with an overstable disc, which is where I see confusion. It flexes right, then fades back left. Also I wasn't intending to call an approach shot a distance anhyzers, but basically that same kind of line.

And yes, I find myself often using a flex shot on an approach. More often than when driving. Usually to navigate around trees.

My question to youThebeardedfatguy is do you use a different grip/upshot form? I follow the Paul Ulibarri instruction on keeping the nose more up and the disc above the elbow which kinda changes the flight behavior too.

My question to youThebeardedfatguy is do you use a different grip/upshot form? I follow the Paul Ulibarri instruction on keeping the nose more up and the disc above the elbow which kinda changes the flight behavior too.

Like most things, it varies. For me to use a full on power grip for an upshot, it usually needs to be 200' or more. Shorter than that I tend to use a modified control grip with my index finger extended along the edge of the disc. The only time I raise my nose is on a fairly short shot where I want to air brake, slow and fall back left fairly quickly, like when flexing around a tree 20' in front of me to a basket beyond it. The only time I throw any higher than with the disc's lowest edge at shoulder height is if I need a true sharp angled anny. Like with most shots, I'm very conscious of how much spin I impart because it gives the stability that either makes the disc stay on the anhyzer angle despite its overstable nature, or allows it to come back and fade. I'll back down the amount of snap/spin if I actually want an earlier fade back to the left. Going back to nose angle, it's rare I'll nose anything up because of how it stalls the shot out, though there are rare shots where that's what you want to happen.

Uh... I have always thought the 'flex' was the disc fighting back to its natural flat to fade flight after releasing in an anny. Basically the same idea as a hyzer flip on an understable disc but due to the flight of discs in general releasing understable hyzer and overs table anny will not really act the same.
Would be damn confusing to call a hyzer flip a hyzer flex and a anny flip doesn't make sense because the disc doesn't flip up it seems like it has to fight its way back.

Because I can't throw forehand I use it for trees and mandos at times for driving and the soft landing with a less over stable disc like an envy for touch shots on sloped greens where overshooting can turn into a 75' comebacker.

I throw a lot of FH flex shots for upshots. Love me some zones. :)

Of course I'd rather just flick it flat or hyzer, but that isn't always an option.

I understand perfectly well what you're saying a flex shot is. I'm talking about the difference between a flex and a fade. There are a few threads dissecting the term.

I could have been a little more clear with my initial reply, but I always think if the Innova definition. I agree with you though a flex shot is different than an anhyzer with an overstable disc, which is where I see confusion. It flexes right, then fades back left. Also I wasn't intending to call an approach shot a distance anhyzers, but basically that same kind of line.

I explained Innova's definition perfectly. What is different between what I/Innova described and what you mean ash? How does a disc "flex left" like I underlined in your statement?

I hate to be a dick but I don't like being told I'm wrong when I'm not...it's like telling a furious person to calm down:| Notice nobody like sidewinder/unibomber/booter/3P/zam/AIM (who LOVES to argue on here) etc etc etc came in to correct me? I know at least a few of them skimmed this thread.

Latest posts