• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Anybody out there throw strictly gateway, or anything other than putters

geo_08

Double Eagle Member
So I love the element, love the assassin, and love voodoos and wizards. I was tempted to make a strictly gateway bag.
Anybody already do this? Or have suggestions for discs and the roles they play? Gateway seems to have slim pickings for us noodle arm guys.

I used to throw more Gateway but nowadays I only have Wizards in my bag. Elements are great, used to be go-to mid and I used a scout as a more stable counterpart. You could also try a Warrior to go with your Element but I found the Scout fitting better for the role in my game, Warriors are pretty overstable. I've used a Demon too, they're just beef. A nice disc though.

As for drivers I only bagged Blazes and a Spirit. I still take them with me to the course every once in a while and wonder whether I should bag them again or not :) They're both really nice overstable drivers. I would suggest you pick up a Blaze as an overstable driver, and a Sabre should go well with as a straight-ish fairway driver (never threw one though so not sure). And Apaches are good do-it-all type drivers, some high speed turn to it and really good glide.

I have some experience with the Apache, guess I will have to throw it side by side with my assassins.

If I remember correctly they overlapped, but the apache was slower.

Any thoughts on a turnover disc driver? The sabre seems to be about the only one that will fit that bill.

I am a big fan of their stuff. Have the Wizard(s), Magic, Karma, Apache, and Slayer. If you like to mess with different discs, one day switch out your Ibex and Obex for a Karma, and your Lace and Unlace for a Slayer. Both discs sit in between those replaced stability wise. I'm not a big arm but there are Slayers out there you can get in Premium plastic at 165-166 g that can get a big rip, and it has a slightly smaller rim than those Laces so it may go easier. The Karma to me is a nice workhorse mid, has a flat feel and bead that forehands and thumb rolls as it backhands, and minus the Demon, the Gateway mids are variants of the Element so you could pair it with one of those or a Mystic and cover all your mid shots with two consistent feeling discs.

I am a big fan of their stuff. Have the Wizard(s), Magic, Karma, Apache, and Slayer. If you like to mess with different discs, one day switch out your Ibex and Obex for a Karma, and your Lace and Unlace for a Slayer. Both discs sit in between those replaced stability wise. I'm not a big arm but there are Slayers out there you can get in Premium plastic at 165-166 g that can get a big rip, and it has a slightly smaller rim than those Laces so it may go easier. The Karma to me is a nice workhorse mid, has a flat feel and bead that forehands and thumb rolls as it backhands, and minus the Demon, the Gateway mids are variants of the Element so you could pair it with one of those or a Mystic and cover all your mid shots with two consistent feeling discs.

I originally threw a element as my midrange. I am thinking of trying a scout, mystic combo. I may stick with the element over the scout though.

Any thoughts on the sabre as a turn over driver? If beat to snot and in their s plastic.

I originally threw a element as my midrange. I am thinking of trying a scout, mystic combo. I may stick with the element over the scout though.

Any thoughts on the sabre as a turn over driver? If beat to snot and in their s plastic.

Never thrown a Sabre so I wouldn't know, if you wanna try something longer the Samurai is similar in speed to the Slayer, but is flippier and has a ton of glide, would probably compare to a Star Tern. They have some light S plastic ones in the 150's and below, could be an option for something really flippy.

That would be like taking a Gazelle and beating one up to be your turnover driver. You can, but why?

Simply because I like to assemble all around bags from each company. And living in StL I figured I should give gateway its fair shot.

So far no one has answered the question: Any all Gateway bags out there?

If memory serves, even Nikko threw a mixed bag when sponsored by Gateway. ;)

So far no one has answered the question: Any all Gateway bags out there?

If memory serves, even Nikko threw a mixed bag when sponsored by Gateway. ;)

That he did. Lots of innova if I remember correctly.

I have a friend that throws almost all gateway with the exception of a couple Innova discs. His bag consists of Wizards(of course), Element, Assassins, Diablo, Sabre. He usually has some others, I think he owns at least one of every Gateway disc out there, but those 5 are the discs I see him throwing the most.

If fact, he used to throw the Valkyrie or the Roadrunner for max distance, but last time we played he started throwing his beat in Diablo for those shots and it was bombing longer than I have ever seen him throw before.

I threw for Team Gateway from 2003-2009...most of those were with Gateway only setups. I did put a wraith or two in the bag once Dave let up on the restrictions. They do have a couple of very underrated molds in the Assassin and Element. The First Run Assassins were one of the easiest molds I could consistently hit the 400 mark with. The early run black tire rubber E-Elements and the old opaque hunter orange e-elements might be a couple of the best mid's that I've ever thrown. The current run of Apache's are a pretty solid flyer as well.

Their current line up is pretty solid. I threw the Samurai during it's testing phase and it is a bomber of a disc. Not the fastest thing on the market, but damn does it have glide for days.

My bag back in the day consisted of the following a Gateway Backpack...

2 E-Spirits
4 E-Illusions(2 puffy wings and 2 regular, eventually gave way to the first run Baby Blues)
3 Sabres(2 E Milky Whites and 1 S)
2 E-Elements
1 E-ElementX
1 S-Demon
1 E-Blaze
5 Firm Wizards

Last edited:
I have a friend that throws almost all gateway with the exception of a couple Innova discs. His bag consists of Wizards(of course), Element, Assassins, Diablo, Sabre. He usually has some others, I think he owns at least one of every Gateway disc out there, but those 5 are the discs I see him throwing the most.

If fact, he used to throw the Valkyrie or the Roadrunner for max distance, but last time we played he started throwing his beat in Diablo for those shots and it was bombing longer than I have ever seen him throw before.

Does he have a good source for assassins?

There is good news on the Assassin front. I have heard from a reliable source that the Assassin mold will be back in the GDS office and should be similar to the first runs.

There is good news on the Assassin front. I have heard from a reliable source that the Assassin mold will be back in the GDS office and should be similar to the first runs.

Are they getting the Diablo back as well?

Hmm, hopefully they will make those in the tacky evo-pro again.

If those rumors are true, check on Ebay. GDS has an Ebay page that my friend said he usually bought his discs from. From what I understand when he finds Assassins for sale he usually buys at least 3 so he will never run out.

I think I have found a source I am holding close to my hip. Hit me up and I can clue your friend in.

As far as checking with gateway I live in StL, so just go to their store directly. As of last week whoever I talked to had no idea about assassins. When did you hear that spike?

Latest posts