• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Anybody out there throw strictly gateway, or anything other than putters

I think I have found a source I am holding close to my hip. Hit me up and I can clue your friend in.

As far as checking with gateway I live in StL, so just go to their store directly. As of last week whoever I talked to had no idea about assassins. When did you hear that spike?

Yeah I guess if I would have just looked I would have seen your location.
:doh:
I will mention something about this to my friend to see if he's wanting more. I honestly think he has almost a lifetime supply.

Slightly off topic but still gateway related...I want to try out some gateway discs just for kicks. How does one get in touch with someone at gateway for those bulk deals they have on discs?

Sweet, thanks! I love my voodoo's and want to get some more gateway in the bag

The warrior is my go-to midrange. If you haven't tried one I recommend it! Gotta find a good one though, make sure it's not one of the crazy pop-top ones. I like the flat opaque more waxy E warriors. Most of them in this blend that I have found are bright (pepto-bismol colored) pink and they are AMAZING!

Also, I have hundreds of random gateway discs if you want me to look for something in particular...

My gateway line up is voodoo/wizard, elements, sabre, assassin, Diablo for a forehand disc. Of course you weren't asking me I just realized.

Any thoughts on the sabre as a turn over driver? If beat to snot and in their s plastic.

I have a Sabre in their Evo plastic. In fact, it was one of my first discs and the first disc I had an ace with. This is a really straight disc. Depending on how you are throwing (distance/snap/good form/yatta yatta yatt) will of course affect the flight. On my good days, it acts like is has -2 HSS and 1 LSS. On my off days, it is maybe a -1 HSS and 1.5 LSS. Thing is, it has a ton of glide (2000 lbs. of glide to be exact).

I believe you could easily get one on base plastic, one in Evo, and maybe a more overstable fairway and have that slot easily covered.

The warrior is my go-to midrange. If you haven't tried one I recommend it! Gotta find a good one though, make sure it's not one of the crazy pop-top ones. I like the flat opaque more waxy E warriors. Most of them in this blend that I have found are bright (pepto-bismol colored) pink and they are AMAZING!

Also, I have hundreds of random gateway discs if you want me to look for something in particular...

What king of flight does the Warrior have? The gateway mids have always piqued my interest.

^^ Gateway mids are sweet TBH. I throw the S Warrior, S Element and E Karma. The Warrior has a lot of hss and a big fade at the end. Flies straight for a while then fade for a while. The Karma flies a little bit like Champion Roc3, but a little farther, a little overstable. The Element is awesome for touchy hyzers, hyzer flip, anhyzer and straight shots, it's sneaky long too.
Overstable to understable :
Warrior > Karma >Element
I'd say get them in S line. Plastic beats up nicely (a little quick) but the grip is really good and so is the glide. Maybe I don't have good runs, but I don't like the E HPP line that much, too slippery for my taste - kinda like Star, but with a just a tad less grip to it (I'm sure they are good runs too though!).

Since there seems to be Gateway Love here, I'll post a picture of this disc:

Pre-approval Sabre. Dave brought like 100 of these to the St. Louis Disc Golf Club Championships in '98. A buddy of mine laughed and said it was garbage and gave me his, so I had one I threw and this one that sat around. It's still in the collection, ever thrown.

It still has the nipple attached.

I've still got a bunch of old Sabres. I threw the original Apache when it came out and was already sitting on a bunch of Sabres that I never did anything with.

I'm falling in love with he voodoo right now.

what plastic are you throwing?

I've go them in everything from medium to SSS. I prefer to putt with firmer ones, so main putting duties fall to my black soft and a peachy orange colored SSS which is actually pretty firm in the flight plate but has amazing grip.

Illusion - super underrated
The Illusion is one of those "depends on the run" discs. The baby blue and white Illusions where the wing was so flat that they almost set flush on a table were $$$. Then there was a run of Illusions that was so hard you could side your house with them that were so beefy they were useless to me. It was so hit and miss that I have not bothered to pick one up in years.

The Element is similar. There were a batch of blood red E Elements that were awesome, but after that they were pretty flippy. It got so hard to find good ones that I stopped looking.

I liked the Hybrid, but you could never find one.

Gateway ends up being for the advanced disc geek. You have to know what you want and how to look for them. You have to be able to look at the wing of an Illusion and know if it is the kind of Illusion you want, because and Illusion is not always an Illusion.

Latest posts