• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone disappointed when they played a DGCR top 10

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I'm curious if there are players out there who have played a top 10 course and just didnt get what all the fuss was about?

I have only played 1 course rated anywhere close to that high (Water Works in KC) and I absolutely loved it. It is probably my favorite course that I have ever played. For me, that's not true, but I can't speak for others. I am hoping that when I make a 7 hour road trip to play some courses in Michigan next month (hopefully Flip City) that I'm not disappointed up there.

I have only played 1 course rated anywhere close to that high (Water Works in KC) and I absolutely loved it. It is probably my favorite course that I have ever played. For me, that's not true, but I can't speak for others. I am hoping that when I make a 7 hour road trip to play some courses in Michigan next month (hopefully Flip City) that I'm not disappointed up there.

you won't be... when are you coming up?

I think that I had my expectations set too high when I played Idlewild. It's still the best course that I've ever played. I just saw more room for improvement than the rating would have suggested. I'm yet to review it, but will sometime after I have all of my thoughts worked out.

Specific shortcomings include the use of various basket types, rather than one consistent basket type (personal preference). I never did find the short tee for hole E. I was playing solo so there were some navigation issues that could have been helped out with some additional next tee signs. That's all I can think of off of the top of my head.

Nice idea for a thread... although this could really push a lot of people's buttons if you know what I mean. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a flame war!

I have only played two of the top 10, both listed as extinct now. Both absolutely amazing.

I think that I had my expectations set too high when I played Idlewild. It's still the best course that I've ever played. I just saw more room for improvement than the rating would have suggested. I'm yet to review it, but will sometime after I have all of my thoughts worked out.

Specific shortcomings include various basket types, rather than one consistent basket type (personal preference). I never did find the short tee for hole E. I was playing solo so there were some navigation issues that could have been helped out with some additional next tee signs. That's all I can think of off of the top of my head.

Nice idea for a thread... although this could really push a lot of people's buttons if you know what I mean. Hopefully it doesn't turn into a flame war!

I'm not trying to start any flame wars

I also had the bar set too high for Idlewild....I have a similiar if not better course 10 minutes away from my home....why I drove 1/3 across the country

I'm curious if there are players out there who have played a top 10 course and just didnt get what all the fuss was about?

This is going to end poorly.

I've only notched #1 and #2 on the current list. Both incredible courses. One of them suited my game better than the other. Probably as a result of that fact, I was in total agreement on one course's ranking, and not as convinced as to the other. That's all I'm saying.

I was that way at flip city at first, I expected pebble beach and a few anhysers and found hysers and elevation with rocks stacked up. I was grumpy though because it wasn't planned and I was hung over from the night before.

Deer Lakes didn't seem to match the praise it was receiving when i played it. But that was a few years ago and i haven't gotten the chance to play it again.

Flyboy was everything and more.

Flyboy was everything and more.

tumblr_lov2reRPRT1qas8k3.gif

Blue Ribbon was a beautiful course . . .but not everything it was hyped to be overall. I still love the course because I can appreciate landscaping, but in the end there were enough moderate holes for me to value it lower than some others ranked lower.

Flip City is another one . . . a lot of hype is tough to live up to . . . it has been the #1 DGCR course for how long (excluding a brief period where Flyboy was ahead of it) . . . and while I still consider it a 5 overall, it is not my top course. Sure I have played #2 and #3 so it isn't that far off, but it was not my #1. I ranked Flip City in atie with Idlewild . .. two very different experiences that both are equally deserving of their spots.

Holler in the Hills was a top 10 . . . I loved the disc golf, loved the property, but overall was not all it was cracked up to be.

Take all of this with a grain of salt . . . I loved everyone of the top 10 I have played and would definitely give them all 4.75 disc ratings or better . . . but after hearing the hype on a few courses for so long and finally getting to experience them . . . only to be moderatley let down . . . .really makes me want to push the envelope of what is the best ever. I want to design a course, put int he amenities, and then keep the maintenance high . . . the problem is that it doesn't pay enough to spend that kind of effort. Eventually maybe, but right now, it just doesn't add up.

I also had the bar set too high for idlewild. It was a great layout, of just seemed overrun, hard to navigate, and almost neglected (mismatched and broken teepads and missing signage).

Brackett's Bluff (My #1 ever) and Flyboy?????

I bet I am right!

tumblr_lov2reRPRT1qas8k3.gif

You're making it easy for me :D.

Yup, I loved BB so much. Played it twice.

You really can't compare the two as they are SO completely different on every single level, FBA will always be my number one because of how close it is to me, and a sort of pride I have in the course. I've stayed the B&B 10+ times probably, consider myself a good friend of Kelly's and got to run a huge meetup
for a ton of really great people thanks to him.

I've pretty much said BB is the number one wooded course, it has it all. Flyboy is a more complete experience but Bracketts golf is probably better.

The one thing they have in common is the awesome people who put in a ton of work to allow us to enjoy them:thmbup:

The first time I played Meadows Ridge I shot 17 over in a doubles tournament I wouldn't say I was disappointed, but definitely overwhelmed. I had never played anything remotely that difficult. My game has come a long way since then and I love facing the challenge these days.

The same thing happened the first time I played Milo McIver (a better course than Meadows Ridge despite the rating.) I had heard all about how long the holes were so I showed up ready to swing for the fences. It took me almost the hole round to realize throwing a placement shot off the tee to give myself a second shot with a run up was the best way to make pars.

They were both humbling experiences and taught me a lot about the flaws in my game.