• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone disappointed when they played a DGCR top 10

All par 3 courses lose out with not enough length/par variety and Flip has enough land to actually do it well.

Just wondering, cause I really didn't find variety lacking when I played there. I think having lots of elevation change helps just as much as anything though. Out of curiosity, how many reviews does a course need to have before it is considered for the top 10? I played Justin Trails (which is somewhere near La Crosse WI) and I felt that it was near as good as Flip City if not better. (And the current score reflects that)

Renny is going to be Renny Gold. There are 4 short tees that could be used

5 short tees, right?

1,2,5,14,18?

And while we're at it, since you are the designer, if you had to label a Par for each of the short tees (for the purpose of this site, if nothing else), what would you give them?

1 short tee = 3 or 4?
2 short tee = 3 or 4?
5 short tee = obvious 3
14 short tee = 3?
18 short tee = 4 or 5?

Thanks!

I lived in Picksburgh for over 2 years, played Deer Lakes exactly twice, the second only because I convinced myself that I had been mistaken the first time in not liking it. I was not mistaken.

Without providing any rationale and specifics as to why you didn't like it, this is a completely worthless statement, and post.

5 short tees, right?

1,2,5,14,18?

And while we're at it, since you are the designer, if you had to label a Par for each of the short tees (for the purpose of this site, if nothing else), what would you give them?

1 short tee = 3 or 4?
2 short tee = 3 or 4?
5 short tee = obvious 3
14 short tee = 3?
18 short tee = 4 or 5?

Thanks!
There is not a short tee on 14. The basket had been moved short for worlds - par 3, moved back it's par 4.
1 - long par 3 / short 4
2 - par 3
5 - par 3
18 - par 4
All my guesses, not official. I think the only question is the par for hole 1 from the short tee. Personally, I think it will be a 3.

There is not a short tee on 14. The basket had been moved short for worlds - par 3, moved back it's par 4.

Ohhhh! Thanks. I knew it was shortened -- I though ya'll put in a shorter tee. A shorter basket makes far more sense.

I know Tyler in Newtown PA is rated really high and I like Jordan creek and Nockamixon a lot better. Tyler is extremely well maintained and I love the concrete pads but I would rate the other 2 higher. Tyler didn't seem to have any awesome stand out holes although all were above avg. Personally I think its overrated.

I've now played three of the current top 10 (Flip City, BRP, Beaver Ranch) ... yet haven't played the two in the state I've lived in my entire life. Oh well, I'll get up to Highbridge one of these days. I have not been disappointed by any of the three. I wish that BRP had elevation and that Beaver Ranch had concrete or other improved tees, but I was still extremely thrilled to have played each, and thought they lived up to the hype.

I've played the following which have all spent some moments on the DGCR top 10
Brakewell Steele/Warwick
Maple Hill
Wyckford CT
Tyler State Park
Moraine St Park
Deer Lakes
Idlewild
Lincoln Ridge
Brackets Bluff
Whippin Post/Woodshed Paw Paw

All of them had amazing moments for me...I'm a very avg golfer and don't pretend to be a pro internet golfer like some do.....however, I do think I know what makes a good course and recognizing greatness does not take the pro eye imo (we all know many top pros think any course they score well on is a great course)

I will admit to some mileage/hype disappointment. That is the further I drive and the more hype I hear the more I expect to be blown away and my expectations cannot be fulfilled. Here are my thoughts:

Brakewell Steele/Warwick-Really fun and def a pro layout but starting to lose it's place in the pantheon of greatness due to too many avg. holes/aside from 18 and a handful of others I don't dream about Warwick like I do other courses anymore.....but I will say it remains the best maintained and most flexible (multiple tees/multiple permt baskets) public course I have ever played...perhaps a bit too open and not long enough due to disc technology 400+ feet isnt as overwhelming as it once was

Maple Hill-challenging and unique but too much forced Distance for me to enjoy.....I didnt mind that...what bothered me was the deep dark water that ate discs and the rows and rows evergreens that ate discs. Playing solo I spent a bunch of time searching and lamenting the loss of discs here. I don't like losing discs in bunches and this place took a big chunk out of my bag.

Wyckford CT-In Hindsight the open holes were really too open and many of the woods holes didnt deliver (the latter wooded holes were good)....I don't know why I loved this place so much when I played it....it was really well manicured...the downhill drives were really fun.....but def not top ten.....worth a play though it was fun

Tyler State Park-tough course to grade.....has 27 holes and 3 pin positions and multiple tees...in the long its a mind blower of a course....in the shorts its quite avg but still fun...I don't think it's top 10...It gets a bunch of points from the geeks who like raised baskets,good signs, bag holders, and big faggots of sticks used as bunkers.....I wax and wane about this course and never really am sure if it's a great course.....in the end I think the multiple mandos and plethora of oob surprises kind of dampen the wonderful wooded experience for me......It is definetely the course with the most work/construction and amenities I have played

Moraine St Park-really really solid and from the golds to longs perhaps the best course that has ever spent time on the top 10 list.....long drives and a constant state of cerebral golf from the tee off to the finish your mind never stops thinking and debating what to do

Deer Lakes-perhaps a few too many open shots to be top 10....This course has some really fun unique shots (2,7,11,15) as well as some awesome grinders (1,3,9,13,14) but the other half of the course simply did not get me as excited.....has 9 good holes and 9 outstanding holes. I think it's a bit more forgiving than Moraine and some players have a bit more success there and thus rate it up a bit

Idlewild-Challenging and unique....buuuut I am in the camp that there is too much reliance on short controlled throws and not enough chances to drive hard and far in the woods....basically the stretch from 5-8 can be characterized as an alley of upshots from the 2nd shot on 5 to the finish of 8/ you could feasibly play with your putter only...snooze
1,2,3,9,10,11,14,15,16,18 are amongst the best holes I have played anywhere....

Lincoln Ridge-more fun than idlewild with many more greens reachable off the tee but not near as challenging....I loved the scenery here and the rolling hills to throw down.....perhaps if it was just 18 better holes it could rival Idlewild...but I understand this is the fun course and Idle is the beast

Brackets Bluff-oh god I don't wanna piss off NC again....great people, fun clubhouse, good beer, great hospitality...a few fun features but I think the Bracketts boys would agree they wouldve liked to have done more with this course if they had secured the other half of the property.....perhaps the best fun u can have discin but in a top 10 I want a bit more...still one of my better memories in DG
Whippin Post/Woodshed Paw Paw-too open in places....too tight in places....not as unique as it was 10 yrs ago with better courses popping up....Still a truly great experience and some of my fav holes can still be found here...and yes I still dream about Woodshed 2,13 and Whippin Post 2,9,14 and 18 and I have nightmares bout the other unmentionables

IN THE END THE TOP RATINGS RAISE THE BAR AND YOU CANT HELP BUT BE DISAPPOINTED

On the current list i have played Blue Ribbon Pines and both courses in Highbridge WI. Not dissappointed with any of the 3. If you make a trip up to Highbridge it will be well worth your time, stay in the Honka House right on the property and take a golf cart out on the courses. Several great courses even beyond the 2 that made the top 10 right on the same property you will be staying on. Blue Ribbon is second to none as well, but Highbridge is better for someone who will be traveling a distance since you get several top notch courses right on the land.