• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Anyone else love their Panther?

PhillyPhan69

Bogey Member
When I first started playing about 7-8 months ago, I got a starter set in Champion plastic. I couldn't handle throwing them with my Frisbee background, + the weight. I had a Valky, Panther and aviar and could not control them at all. So I pretty much gave up on them.

After a few months without using any of them I went out and played a round against myself just using my 3 mids: A Champion Panther, Champion Shark 3 and a R-Pro Roc...not only did I perform better with the panther I began to love the feel of it, the way it ripped from my hand and its versatility on a number of different lines. Then tonight I went out and played a round with just the Panther....man I am falling in love with this disc......Anyone else hooked on their Panther?

It's a really, really good disc.
But I feel it's more of a multi-purpose disc (true to it's old stamp) than a midrange.
Goes much farther than a mid. I've been missing something between a mid and fairway, and I might have to add the panther back in my bag. Oddly I don't like using fairway drivers for fairway shots. Hopefully this is it.

It's a really, really good disc.
But I feel it's more of a multi-purpose disc (true to it's old stamp) than a midrange.
Goes much farther than a mid. I've been missing something between a mid and fairway, and I might have to add the panther back in my bag. Oddly I don't like using fairway drivers for fairway shots. Hopefully this is it.

Not sure about being more than a midrange, I will leave that for people more knowledgeable than me....but in my limited testing experience with a Roc/Shark 3 the distance was fairly even for the most part at least on holes where I could just let it rip. But I love how many things this disc can do....Kept it low on a tight fairway and it scooted right where I hoped it would go....a little more height on a short hole with a sharp hook left, and bingo birdie range....I am just about hooked with this as my primary mid

My buddy loves his Champ Panther for almost every up shot, forehand back hand, thumbers, he has gotten his money out of his disc.

I have thrown it a few times but nothing more than a throw or two in a field, may I should ask to borrow it for a round, if he can part with it. Maybe a Bag Switch Round?

I liked a DX Panther I got to use when I started. Never really got along with my Champion.

I saw an old one at the disc store the other day that classified it as a "super long range driver" or something like that. Made me laugh. I'd have bought it but it was super beat up and inked.

Wow...I would love to get a DX Panther....when did they make and/or stop making these? Champion is the only plastic I have found them in

Get yourself a D-line MD2 from the Discmania store. Pretty close to a Panther in feel and flight, the D-line will be considerably less stable and glidey over time. They have reasonable shipping for single disc purchases, too.

Get yourself a D-line MD2 from the Discmania store. Pretty close to a Panther in feel and flight, the D-line will be considerably less stable and glidey over time. They have reasonable shipping for single disc purchases, too.

I was actually just at my local store looking for a champ panther today. The MD2's numbers are much different than a panther. I really really like discmania tho. Is it just the D like md2's that fly similar to panthers?

md2 is nothing like a panther. also the md2 diameter is much larger.

Yes panther is like a baby leopard. I take it out occasionally and it really is a do everything disc.

Wow...I would love to get a DX Panther....when did they make and/or stop making these? Champion is the only plastic I have found them in

picture.php

I threw these a lot in the 90's. I think they came out right about the same time as the Cyclone so '93ish? There was no Champion plastic back then, everything would be what we now call DX. Somewhere along the line in the '04-'05ish range DX Panthers disappeared. The early Champ Panthers were on the flat side and awesome. Now they have more dome, are flippier and are less awesome, but still a solid disc. I think the old ones were labeled "Multi-Purpose and now they are labeled "Mid Range."

I mostly threw the DX Panther, and it was actually the disc that defined "tweener." It's a mid with a small diameter and a wing that has some driver-like features, so it's fast and long for a mid but short for a driver. At the time that it came out, there were no other small diameter mids. The Panther kind of created that category.

It sort-of fits in-between a Stingray and a Leopard in the bag (although it's closer to a Leopard than a Stingray.) I've always really liked Panthers but could never find a fit for them in my bag.

They might be a nice fit in a bag if you use the speed 9s as fairways. Like the Saint, Escape, PD, Avenger, Olfs and suchlike. The overlap is pretty heavy with the slower ones though.

What would you pair it with though? Gremlin, maybe? People do keep babbling about how long the Truth is for a mid. I dunno.

My Champ Panther is newish (new enough to have flight numbers, at least), and pretty stable. I don't have any others to compare with, though. Still a nice disc.

Panther is a great "tweener"

I too miss the old DX Panthers. Absolutely my fave all purpose disc for tight wooded courses, and finesse/control/touch shots. The Champs will still work great after some breaking in. I just bought my GF a new S Gremlin and if I closed my eyes I would think it was a Star Panther. Great disc. Can't say enough. I think that calling it a "tweener" is a great way to put it. "Multi purpose" was my fave label. I think between Stingray and Lep is right on.
Panther is an excellent short anny disc in woods.

Latest posts